Bass Guitar

• Thread starter crossroadsnyc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
i have that schecter raiden special 4 too! as well as a squire jazz and mexican fender p. i e never played in band context and only recently jammed with someone. got into it cause i had been curious for a long time, occasionally record bass lines for my own or someone else's songs.

thunderkyss

Reaction score
I've got a Fender Jazz (4 string) & a Sire Marcus Miller (5 string).

I bought the Fender back in 2006 or something like that. & the Sire just this year. I don't consider myself a bass player, but I can hit the pocket. Not very creative, just root, 5 on the beat. But it's fun.

I plug straight into my board, no amp.

johnfv

Reaction score
I've messed around with bass over the years and have occasionally played in a band situation. It's nice to have one for recording song ideas, etc. if nothing else. I have 2 basses, this "partscaster" Jazz turned out great:
attachment.php

johnfv

Reaction score
...I always thought the LP bass looked the best...
Here is a friend's '69 that he scored cheap at a pawn shop years ago. They have some quirks (including short scale) but still pretty cool.
attachment.php

Attachments

• LP Bass.jpg
    LP Bass.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 110

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of my buddies play Les Paul Recording / Triumph basses....They're awesome sounding ...kind pencil-ly neck and fragile ,but awesome

I actually started out on bass ,but as fate would have it ,it was not to be my primary thing.My oldest brother plays & he's killer ....but I got cooler bass gear than he...
But as y'all can probably figure , no "normal" sh*t...

My 2nd Harmony H-22.Twas given to me by in pieces ,just a body and stripped neck ,by a lady who got it from her late brother ...Luckily I had a period correct DeArmond pickup and just kinda ran down the rest of the parts. The pickguard ,truss rd cover ,knobs ,decal are repro ebay stuff
My buddy Jim from the orig version of Son Volt turned me on to these .He has two .
Ronnie Lane used to play 'em in the Small Faces days
My 1st one ,I traded to a bass player buddy for an Ampeg Big Stud carcass and a grey box DoD 250

Great $150 pawnshop bass rig....the Peavis

One of the prizes of the stash the '67 Danelectro / Coral Wasp
I've had a long relationship with these boat paddles

Pawnshoppin ,67 Epiphone Rivoli

Another carcass score . I've wanted an EB-4L my whole life .I like the Gibsons too .Mahogany sounds great for bass

Electra copy of an EB -3L .I used this one for flying for awhile

'74 SB-450

An old 1970 German head I rebuilt w/ two JCM 800 era bass cabs

Mexican P-body that ended up like this

Ampeg Big Stud as carcass

Pickguard fitting.I used a pearloid aftermarket Mike Dirnt pickguard which I had to whittle

Done,weighs a f'n ton

My 1st Ronnie Lane bass and Bassman 135 after I made a 6x10 baffle for that 2x12 cabinet

johnfv

Reaction score
A couple of my buddies play Les Paul Recording / Triumph basses....They're awesome sounding ...kind pencil-ly neck and fragile ,but awesome...
Some killer looking (and unique) basses there Alvin. :yesway: I agree about the pencil neck being fragile on those LP basses, I have another friend that snapped a headstock.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Just started playing bass for my recordings a little while back and I LOVE it. Lots of fun. Just added this LTD F-415FM to go with an Ampeg BA115v2. Sounds awesome. Next I want to get a 4-string P bass for grins.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I like your and DOD's suggestion of a Squier … that red one is petty sweet looking.

The Squiers are awesome. I was talking to some dude I was selling some gear to about them, and he said he loved the Affinity he tried. This is someone who's main bass is a Spector Euro and has played some Roscoes, Sadowkys, Wals, etc etc.

The Classic Vibes are actualy better than the Vintage Modified's (better stock pickups and overall better quality and woods used), but I'm a sucker for the aesthetic of CBS-era J basses.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I play at the bass from time to time. Pretty much exclusively over my own recordings. There are only a couple of songs I sort of know on the bass. I was bass player in 2 different cover bands but neither went anywhere, so I didn't learn a ton of songs.

The most favorite bass I've ever had believe it or not was a brice brand (now rouge) viola bass. Looked like Mccartney's bass. It had switches for the pickups, hollow body, super short scale. That thing was the beefiest sounding bass I have ever played. Loved it. Traded that off and shouldn't have.

I had a Japanese Fender jazz special for a while, it had P and J pickups in it, active electronics. nice bass, good feel and good tone.

Currently the only bass I have is a 96 Ibanez IC300B. My dad bought it brand new and pretty much never took it out of the case, so it's basically mint. I actually swapped the strings a little while back because I was recording with it, that was the first string change it ever had (20 years)

Other than that, I don't play bass. I find it boring. I know you can do some cool stuff but to me it's just not as entertaining. Some songs, like crossfire for instance you play a cool riff but just over and over until the song ends, it gets old.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Here is a friend's '69 that he scored cheap at a pawn shop years ago. They have some quirks (including short scale) but still pretty cool.
attachment.php

Hell yeah, that's what I'm talking about … that one and a few of the ones than Alvin has are just so cool looking to me. Even if it didn't sound as good, I'd probably be more inclined to pick it up because I like how it looks. I'm vain like that with gear :lol:

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've played bass in several bands. I did it in the first band I was in because they needed a bass player - started off just using my electric's top 4 strings, then sold it for a real bass.
Today I have one that I really love, it just sounds amazing whatever the context. It's a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bazz, "Made In Japan", as opposed the later "Crafted in Japan" and "Made in Mexico".
A bass is a great thing to have, and you can always find a gig playing bass.

0257702506_hi-8ec616a565052bcb96795defdc12f497.jpg

Last edited:

RobLaQuinta

Reaction score
I've played a few. I owned a Peavey Foundation that had a Jazz Bass size neck. It played great, till the neck pulled up about 3/8 of an inch at the nut. I gave it to Deaf Eddie (see deaf-eddie.net) and he saved it and still plays it.

After that I bought my Ibanez SR-500 four string. Has the Bertolini pick ups, an active preamp and sounded great. It was stolen when my house was ransacked. So I bought another one.

I've been using the same bass rig for about 10 years. A Peavey Firebass 700 that I bought in 2001, and two Avatar 4 ohm B410 cabs. The Peavey is rated at 700 watts @ 2 ohms. It will record on seismographs for miles around. I have an old Boss chorus just to play with. When recording, I just plug into the board.

Someday, in line with my GAS affliction, I'll buy a natural ash Jazz Bass and a Classic SVT. Until then , what I have works great, considering I haven't gigged in years.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
that looks like my '94 Peavey Fury rescued rat bass. gotta dig a blacked out bass. :yesway:

I've been playing bass for years since someone's gotta do it & bassists are harder to find than even drummers most of the time.
plus,playing bass opens up more songwriting ideas.
Roger Waters agrees... :yesway:

yeah, I started playing bass, because I was in a pretty large pool of musicians & everybody played guitar & nobody played bass - so I became a nobody & nobody was in-demand...
drool.gif
every time I see that 12'er... :mad:... I wish I would have got one while I had the chance. I would have probably got a Chaparral, like mine though...

Is that Acoustic cab a folded 18" or a dual 15"? I used to have 2 of the 18" folded horn reflex cab's loaded w/ Cerwin Vega 18"s. They kicked! One of my buddies had one that was an 18", but the face had 2- 10" speakers...

custom53

Reaction score
Is that Acoustic cab a folded 18" or a dual 15"? I used to have 2 of the 18" folded horn reflex cab's loaded w/ Cerwin Vega 18"s. They kicked! One of my buddies had one that was an 18", but the face had 2- 10" speakers...

It is the Folded 18" Cerwin Vega.. I had 4 of them.. Down to only Two now.. But they take Two Men and a Boy to Haul them Around...!
And I wish I would have Kept the Hamer B12S.. Don't remember why I sold it..

Las Palmas Norte

Reaction score
I have an '08 Fender Precision Bass. Picked it up with less than ten hours on it for almost half the original price. Mint with all the case candy. Use it periodically.

DSC00354.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00361.jpg

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
It is the Folded 18" Cerwin Vega.. I had 4 of them.. Down to only Two now.. But they take Two Men and a Boy to Haul them Around...!
And I wish I would have Kept the Hamer B12S.. Don't remember why I sold it..
After I got rid of my 18's, a couple years later, I went to Ampeg, w/ 4- 8x10 cab's. I had always wanted to try 2- 18's & 2- 8x10's, but never got to try it. The 18's needed about 20-25 feet, before you could get the fullness of sound, but the 8x10's have full sound, almost immediate proximity of the cab it's self. Maybe one of these days...

dptone5

Reaction score
I picked up a bass for recording. A US Made Fender Highway One P-Bass. Paid $400 and it plays and sounds great!!

DP