BBE Sonic Stomp Pro

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my curiosity got the better of me and I bought a Sonic Stomp Pro. So far I’ve tried it in the fx loop of my solid state Ampeg, and the results are interesting.

It’s definitely doing something, but whether or not it’s simply an EQ adjustment is hard to tell. In the past I’ve read that the process dynamically boosts treble depending on your input signal. I did notice that the hiss of the preamp dynamically changes with the strength of my playing (very, very slightly), so maybe that is true. Overall, the pedal does make things sound better, but I can’t really tell if there’s any magic here that a simple EQ boost wouldn’t accomplish.

Maybe I’ll do a recorded comparison between dry, the BBE, and a graphic EQ. I want to make sure that everything is normalized so there’s no issue with something sounding better just because it’s louder, because the Sonic Stomp does boost level slightly.

Even if it’s is just a glorified EQ, the sonic performance is excellent. It doesn’t add noise to the signal, whether used before or after a distorting preamp. It’s very clean. So far I’m pleased with what it’s doing. It seems to make the tone wider, deeper, and clearer. My settings currently are pretty conservative, because I’ve always read that extreme settings can cause ear fatigue, but I like what I hear. It is nice to have the “Focus” control to add mids, because the other controls can cause a scooped tone.

If I get around to doing a recorded comparison I will post it in this thread. Cheers!

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve done a bit of research into the sonic maximizer process, looking over available schematics. Basically the circuit gradually shifts the phase of the signal based on frequency, over the audio band, from 0 degrees at the bass to 360 degrees at the treble. The mids are in between, with 180 degrees around somewhere between 700Hz to 1kHz. This is happening all the time, regardless of the Lo Contour and Process control settings.

The phase shifting portion of the circuit divides the signal into three bands, and feeds the highs and lows to a summing amplifier through potentiometers that control the amplitude of the high band and low band. This makes up the process and lo contour controls. This part of the circuit basically is an EQ.

So, the “magic” of the process is independent of the EQing, and it’s possible to set the EQ flat so that you’re only hearing the effect of the phase shift. To my ears the phase shift is extremely subtle through a guitar cabinet. Maybe it makes more of a difference through a sound system that has crossovers, woofers, and tweeters.

Ultimately, for guitar, IMO this unit is really just a really clean, quiet, and well voiced three band EQ.

speyfly

Reaction score
Ultimately, for guitar, IMO this unit is really just a really clean, quiet, and well voiced three band EQ.

I've had a Sonic Stomp for many years (still have it) and though it's not on my PB now I found it to be very usable. I will agree that it's a three band eq for the most part..

Latest posts