bedroom vol, cranked sound?

• Thread starter bluarcher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, to me Channel A is very clean and sounds great at low volume. The Ultra Gain with gain cranked and a lower volume sounds more like fuzz than distortion (my opinion)………
Really, the Ultra Gain channel with the “gain cranked”,…. why so much gain?

No wonder it doesn’t sound good!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Theres a difference between sounding great and sounding like an amp at full volume. Trying to figure out which reply is talking about which is almost impossible.
True. "cranked sound" , at least to me, would be an overdriven power stage, which can only be achieved by running an amp wide open. To get "that" sound, or at least the power amp component at low volume, would first require a device that contains a reactive load, and then a way of hearing the low level result tapped from that load (headphones, re-amplifying + guitar cab, studio monitors...). And yes, reading through the posts, seems like that may not really be what the OP is meaning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Len

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I would start by experimenting with a SD-1 and/or a BD-2.

Gust
The SD1 works wonders for me.. but I am using my Dsl40c’s.
And I can get loud amp feedback at low volume with the SD1.

I am also using the red ultra 2 channel with my gain at 3.
Different story on green crunch,, I run the gain at 9 there.
But both channels rip and can do low tv volume with ease.

Mitch

GustHFS

Reaction score
The SD1 works wonders for me.. but I am using my Dsl40c’s.
And I can get loud amp feedback at low volume with the SD1.

I am also using the red ultra 2 channel with my gain at 3.
Different story on green crunch,, I run the gain at 9 there.
But both channels rip and can do low tv volume with ease.

Mitch
My DSL20HR it's quite versatile at low volumes too, although it doesn't have the same features as the DSL40C. At first I thought I would need an attenuator because it's a tube amp, but I really don't see the need to use one.

Gust

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
The only amps I’ve used that get close to the cranked Marshall sound at low volume no attenuation no pedals are Friedman amps , I’ve spent years trying everything else to no avail as others have ( and still continue to ) I’m sure . The origin 50 does it but will need attenuation as the master needs to be dimed even on 5 watt setting coz a 5 watt valve amp cranked is pretty damn loud .

Last edited:

JohnH

Reaction score
I used to be very happy with the low-volume tones out of my DSL401, with an od pedal with a reasonably thick tone such as an Od3. Maybe the more classic and current DSL's are like that too. I'd rather play through a normal size amp and cab, rather than something very small though, even at low volume. But some amps work better in that way with attenuation to get them out of first gear.

Deftone

Reaction score
I play 50 & 100w heads through 4x12's in the bedroom, sometimes two in stereo and I have always used a Distortion pedal. A RAT since the 80's and for about the last 10 years a Metal Muff. I run the pre amp volume at about 60%, and use the MV (10-20%) and the pedal volume (10-20%) to control the output volume. Sounds fantastic to my ears.

I tried a Power Soak and Speaker Soak but was never really happy with them. I also tried 5-30w heads with 1x12 or 2x12 cabs too. They were good but I love the low end of a 50-100w head and a 4x12.

WFR1212

Reaction score
My experience with my DSL20cr is that it is very fizzy at bedroom volumes, but there’s any an easy fix that worked great. Because the way the tone stack is configured, you have to turn the channel volume up past at 2-3 in order for the bass and mids to start coming through, below that it’s all treble. I put a simple JHS volume pot in the effects loop and turn the channel volume past half way and then turn the volume pot in loop down to your desired level, and it sounds glorious!

Reaction score
I recently moved from a house to an apartment. To make sure I could still get a cranked sound I bought a Fryette power station. From there it goes to my interface into Logic where I use either 2Notes wall of sound or another IR loader. I think it's by Ignite?
That's how I get my cranked sound.

spockstudio

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before so I apologize in advance...I have a JCM 2000 DSL (with effects loop) and a small variety of pedals (including a Boss DS-1). I'm wondering if a power soak of some sort is the only real way to get a full, heavy, overdriven sound at bedroom volumes using my actual 1960 Vintage 4/12 cab. I'm not sure it's even possible, but I'm asking anyway. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, as I just got my head back from being benched (it's sounding very good now) and I'm still recuperating from that expense..lol. thanks in advance.

UA OX and done.
Not cheap. GOOD !!

caper

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before so I apologize in advance...I have a JCM 2000 DSL (with effects loop) and a small variety of pedals (including a Boss DS-1). I'm wondering if a power soak of some sort is the only real way to get a full, heavy, overdriven sound at bedroom volumes using my actual 1960 Vintage 4/12 cab. I'm not sure it's even possible, but I'm asking anyway. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, as I just got my head back from being benched (it's sounding very good now) and I'm still recuperating from that expense..lol. thanks in advance.
What you are asking for is impossible. That’s like asking to fly a traditional airplane without forward movement. There are so many things that come into play with volume cranked. Internal electronics like heated up tubes. More air movement. Cabinet resonance. Room resonance. Etc. bedrooms are for practicing anyway.

cccc

Reaction score
This is the question asked more than any other the last decade of so . How do I get great tones at bedroom volume levels . Everybody wants REAL JMP or JCM 800 tones at bedroom volume levels and the only amps that deliver that to perfection are Marshall 50th anniversary 1 watt models . Used ones are selling for at least double the original price and sometimes even more than that . It's not necessarily because they are rare it's because they are the real deal

You can crank a 1 watt and get incredible tones but you will still wake up the entire house if you crank it . The best news is no need for any extra's like an attenuator . The below tones are at TV VOLUME LEVELS .

How do they sound ? Better than you can ever imagine actually .

JMP 1 WATT SAMPLES BELOW:

Lonely is the night

Running with the devil

Jamies Crying

Dance the night away

JCM 800 1 WATT SAMPLES BELOW:

Lay it down

Kickstart my heart

https://youtu.be/M276pkb80s4?t=386

If Marshall had a clue which they clearly do not , they would bring maybe not all the 50th anniversary models back but the JMP and JCM 800 1 WATT models for sure and make them year round stock items . They would be impossible to keep in stock .

The CURRENT DSL 1 WATT SUCKS IN COMPARISON .

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My DSL20HR it's quite versatile at low volumes too, although it doesn't have the same features as the DSL40C. At first I thought I would need an attenuator because it's a tube amp, but I really don't see the need to use one.

Gust
The Dsl20, unlike some other DSL’s, does benefit, and sound great when its power tubes are really pushed, albeit quite LOUD.

A good attenuator is a great way to really unleash its power section, and still have manageable volumes for playing at home.

It’s just another tool available.

Backfortheattack

Reaction score
I have a Rivera Rock Crusher Power Attenuator load box I'm selling. You said you wanted pedals to knock the sound down to bedroom volumes, the Rock Crusher did allow me to crank my 100 watt Marshall JVM 410H full stack and did a very good job. Let me know if your interested, it's not exactly a pedal but it does work for bedroom levels

GustHFS

Reaction score
The Dsl20, unlike some other DSL’s, does benefit, and sound great when its power tubes are really pushed, albeit quite LOUD.

A good attenuator is a great way to really unleash its power section, and still have manageable volumes for playing at home.

It’s just another tool available.
Thanks for the tip, scozz!🙂 Yes, later on I'll see if I buy a more accessible attenuator for my budget like the Bugera, or maybe I'll try to build a JohnH. At the moment I've already spent quite a lot of money on the amp, new cabinet and replacement tubes💰

Gust