• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Behringer Pedals - Why So Inexpensive?

• Thread starter paul-e-mann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phuzaxeman

Reaction score
i haven't tried the pedals but there are behringer products that are excellent products. there isn't a control surface bang for buck better than the bcf2000. plus the x32 (Behringer: DIGITAL MIXER X32) is darn good.

one of my pet peeves when people haven't tried actual products and start saying that company is junk.

i also endorse modtone, and they have the cheapest pedals too. but they are well built and do a great job for the price. i own the compressor and deep dive (octaver).

you don't always get what you pay for. my seismic cabinet configured with WGS speakers sound and resonate better than both my previous marshall 1936 and mc212 even though i'm a huge marshall fan.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought about checking out sme Seismec cabs since they're right there in Memphis but I've heard many bad things about them not being so great for heavy road use and rattling quite a bit. I would think for the price they could be beefed up some easily.
do they hold up well?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That's because they were made of MDF. I can be wrong, but I think they switched to Plywood a year ago.

Even though, for the price, I'd look for a used Peavey 412M or 412MS. Solid cabs that can be found for under $200.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
That's because they were made of MDF. I can be wrong, but I think they switched to Plywood a year ago.

Even though, for the price, I'd look for a used Peavey 412M or 412MS. Solid cabs that can be found for under $200.

kinda funny thought- when we buy cabs we want resonant wood but for studio monitors mdf is preferred due to lack of resonance.:hmm:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
But MDF SUCKS for touring. If you play a show where it's really humid, expect to have papier-mache by the end of the set. :rofl:

Plus, MDF is pretty damn heavy compared to real wood. Not really fun when hauling gear.

phuzaxeman

Reaction score
kinda funny thought- when we buy cabs we want resonant wood but for studio monitors mdf is preferred due to lack of resonance.:hmm:

that's because an engineer needs a reference to represent all the potential listeners and you need a flat response. totally different purpose. the "special" mdf in say a yamaha hs50 is much better than the mdf in my mc212.

phuzaxeman

Reaction score
I thought about checking out sme Seismec cabs since they're right there in Memphis but I've heard many bad things about them not being so great for heavy road use and rattling quite a bit. I would think for the price they could be beefed up some easily.
do they hold up well?

rattles? no rattles at all after a couple months. i personally think the seismic could have a deeper material ply but it still is fine. i've got a case for my cab that portects.

when i opened the marshall mc212 it didn't look at all built well (nails, wood structure).

play one and decide for yourself.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
that's because an engineer needs a reference to represent all the potential listeners and you need a flat response. totally different purpose. the "special" mdf in say a yamaha hs50 is much better than the mdf in my mc212.

it just makes for an interesting topic.

Dmann

Reaction score
I can't speak for Behringer Pedals, but my FCB1010 midi foot board, Rack Tuner, 1502 FBQ rack EQ, and 1204USB mixer all work as well as the other big name brands and only cost 1/5th the price, additionally they have seen many many hours of usage and still work as if they were brand new.

I keep reading about people claiming Behringer has a reputation for being cheap and being crap. In my experience this is comepletely false. I said it before, my $1350.00 preamp has needed tech repairs costing upwards of $300-$400, and my Marshall Head needs servicing that also costs $100's of dollars on a regular basis, even my 1st TC Electronic G-Major 2was a lemon and I needed to exchange it, but everything Behringer has worked without issue.

I think it really boils down to people see that Behringer stuff is priced lower, so they just automatically think it's crappy.... hmm sounds like that other thread about cork sniffing...

brp

Reaction score
I can't speak for Behringer Pedals, but my FCB1010 midi foot board, Rack Tuner, 1502 FBQ rack EQ, and 1204USB mixer all work as well as the other big name brands and only cost 1/5th the price, additionally they have seen many many hours of usage and still work as if they were brand new.

I keep reading about people claiming Behringer has a reputation for being cheap and being crap. In my experience this is comepletely false. I said it before, my $1350.00 preamp has needed tech repairs costing upwards of $300-$400, and my Marshall Head needs servicing that also costs $100's of dollars on a regular basis, even my 1st TC Electronic G-Major 2was a lemon and I needed to exchange it, but everything Behringer has worked without issue.

I think it really boils down to people see that Behringer stuff is priced lower, so they just automatically think it's crappy.... hmm sounds like that other thread about cork sniffing...

I've seen lots of actual reviews of the rack tuner not tracking well and being useless for alternate tunings etc.
You've never had any such problems w/ that unit?

I don't think their dubious reputation is ALL about "automatic" reactions to the price point. I don't dispute that's part of it but they have had many owner's reports of faulty gear.
But as you mention this can and does happen to higher priced similar items as well.

I once bought one of their digital mixers and returned it cuz the software would freeze. I later learned this was very common with that model.

I do have one of their DSP2424 (something like that) maximizers that's never given me problems, sounds good and was priced very competetively.

I used to use a lot of their older rack stuff as a FOH engineer and it was fine back then (80's stuff), comps and gates etc.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score

yep. like I said up above. my 3102eq works great except the sliders are a bit flimsy & my 1002 board is great excepth for the way the sliders have to be way up for levels. I knew I should have gone bigger on the board when I bought it anyway.I may have to get the foot controller as I see them going cheap on local CL all day long.it's just so big & I don't need the expression pedal on it.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
there is that sound paradox

knowing wood & it's properties for multiple uses & applications, i would think that good mdf would have more 'throw" than hardwood ply or resonant wood.

see my remodel thread. I put up some 1/4" in a 3'x9' closet & it sounds pretty good in there before even putting in the carpet & sound panels.not quite a dead room but not boomy either. I think it'll make a great vocal booth & amp iso room w/ just enough room for far mic'ing the condenser back 5-8 ft.:D

Keeb

Reaction score
I have a Behringer tuner (TU-300 I think it's called). I use it at home (connected to the dry out of my whammy 4) and it does what it's supposed to but I haven't put it to the test by lugging it around.

After reading reviews online I think I might be lucky because it seems these are of quite poor quality.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The reverb basicly looks like a clone of the Boss I'm considering.
Boss reverb - $150 vs Behringer reverb - $37

I'm tempted to go the cheap route out of curiosity

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHoUiYrbG1M[/ame]

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Just got the Behringer reverb. Does exactly what its supposed to do for a cheap pedal. Tone suck is the only real problem with it, it would be a good gift to give a kid that doesnt need expensive pedals, but for a few dollars more that kid could have the base model Digitech multi-effects pedal. I'll be returning it tomorrow but was a fun experiment, I'm always curious how some products can be sold for so cheap. Gonna keep my eye out for a used Boss RV-5.

AdamR

Reaction score
Ive got a few deltalabs pedals that were cheap and work great for an entry level pedal.