best amp for beginner rock guitarist

• Thread starter nightrain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightrain

Reaction score
hey guys i just recently got my first guitar and im looking for a new amp. I've been searching about guitars and amps for a while and have come to love Marshall sounding amps, even though I never personally played them. Anyway, thats how I found my way here.

The guitar I have is a 1989 Korean Epiphone Les Paul with somekinda sunburst with mystery pickups. They dont have the chrome pickups like you see with most so they may be aftermarket.

My main influence in guitar is slash. From reading this forum I take it you guys hate the guy, but his playing just really speaks to me like no one else. Other guitarists I like are Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Gilmour, Jimmy page, yaddayadda.

my budget is about 3-400. probably more than i should spend on a first amp, but what the hell. The amp would be using in an apartment also, so keep that in mind. :jam:

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Look at the Marshall Class 5 combo, you can get them used from $300 to $350, that'll get you into Jimmy Page tones, then buy a nice distortion pedal to boost it into higher gain like slash and Randy. That's the best solution I could think of.

gjohnson

Reaction score
Its not a new amp but these can be had for 150-200 used AND its a Marshall stack. At only 12w it can be played at low volumes and sound good. It can also get really loud!And it looks cool. Marshall Lead 12 mini stack!

l_3843c25f5efbe10d13eab58623837450.jpg

lp_VooDoo

Reaction score
have you considered a modeling amp? i have used a few of the old johnson amps over the years and they sound decent espicialy for playing at lower volumes. plus if you find a millenium or marquis they have built in effects so there is no need for buying a ton of stomp boxes. plus they can be found for around your price range if you do some looking.

chuckmehh

Reaction score
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

watchtheskies

Reaction score
hey guys i just recently got my first guitar and im looking for a new amp. I've been searching about guitars and amps for a while and have come to love Marshall sounding amps, even though I never personally played them. Anyway, thats how I found my way here.

The guitar I have is a 1989 Korean Epiphone Les Paul with somekinda sunburst with mystery pickups. They dont have the chrome pickups like you see with most so they may be aftermarket.

My main influence in guitar is slash. From reading this forum I take it you guys hate the guy, but his playing just really speaks to me like no one else. Other guitarists I like are Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Gilmour, Jimmy page, yaddayadda.

my budget is about 3-400. probably more than i should spend on a first amp, but what the hell. The amp would be using in an apartment also, so keep that in mind. :jam:

3-400 what? Sheckles, Rupees, Euros, Krona, Yen?, give us a clue :D

nightrain

Reaction score
btw it doesnt have to be marshall but i dont wanna buy anything all the way from the UK either =]

Wyldefan916

Reaction score
I would say look into a Vox VT15 or a VT20+. These amps have presets to give you certain tones, or do your own custom settings. They can be had for under $200. I say try them out at a local music store, or get a Class 5 and boost it with an OD or Distortion pedal.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

brandoz28

Reaction score
avt50 is a good one, but i love those micro stacks as well for a practice amp

chuckmehh

Reaction score
avt50 is a good one, but i love those micro stacks as well for a practice amp

I've played a Zakk Wylde edition micro stack recently and loved it for what I do actually (tight, modern metal). Surprisingly nice amp. I would not recommend one for classic rock/slash tones though. I think the AVTs would do him much better.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO either buy a cheap Solid State 20 watter, OR buy a decent tube marshall.. I have wasted money over the years thinking 'oh yeh this will do' and never being happy. If you buy a dirt cheap practice amp its only like 100 bux u have spent to learn.. Thats just my opinion mate

eljeffebrown

Reaction score
Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Blackstar ht5 combo.
Does a massive range of sounds and sounds wicked for g&r's stuff.
Otherwise I 2nd a vox vt30 . I use to have a vox ad30vt which was the first version. Loads of effects and sounds to be had.
I find most 80's rock had lots of delay, reverb and chorus and a fair bit of phaser too. All of these in the vox amp.
I run my blackstar ht5 with a 2x12 cab for extra volume and use reverb, delay, and chorus and my lp isn't like a normal one as it has a p90 in the neck but it still pulls of guns songs easy.
The class 5 is good but without a distortion pedal it has to be at max volume for full distorted sounds which is bloody loud at home. Imagine shouting as loud as possible then the amp is a lot louder still

j2112c

Reaction score
my budget is about 3-400. probably more than i should spend on a first amp, :jam:

I do not think you should fret over too much on 'overspending' on a first amp mate. If anything I find players do not spend ENOUGH on their first amps:hippie:
I see players with nice guitars (maybe on to their second or third) playing through rubbish amps five years after starting playing - Sorry... I was one of them... hands up!:lol:

I would advise you buy secondhand, a tube amp that will last a lifetime.
Buy tube, buy secondhand and you will not lose money like a new solid state. Even if you have to save another $100-150 to get a master volumed half stack or combo (if they float your boat) it is worth it.

I say do not suffer solid state sound for three years.:lol: Another thing is your playing will develop better with an amp that is reactive to your playing, you will notice this earlier and change accordingly.:)

If in five years you prefer another sound or understand exactly what makes your style sound better (or decide to take up the Trombone instead:lol:) you can sell a tube amp and get your money back... perhaps even make a few $ if you buy right in the first place.

Try out:

Marshall DSL which sounds great and represents good value.:)

Personally I prefer Head and cab rather than combo.. but post a thread asking others opinions on this and you will see the arguments for and against them, to help you make your mind up... it is not just a space/transport issue.:hippie:

nightrain

Reaction score
well i do want a halfstack they look badass :rock: lol, but aren't they loud as hell? we live in an apartment on the top floor with with neighbors underneath :(

j2112c

Reaction score
Do not worry, a master volumed amp can be at talking volumes no problem. :):hippie:
Go to a music shop and try one out, dial it low and see what the volume is like and the tone.:hippie:

Yes purists (me included) say they sound better with power amp distortion driving them at high volumes, but if you are just starting out you may not even hear the difference between preamp tube drive and power valve amp drive... you will in time... but by then you will be gigging and rehearsing in bigger places (with the same amp I hope!):)

So you will get mainly pre amp tube gain, but either way... that will s@it on any solid state amp you will ever buy.:)

If you are really concerned you can of course do additional things which applies to a 5w Combo as much as a halfstack:

* Put it on a few layers of rubber matting, underlay or carpet underneath it.

* Put wheels on the cabinet or combo enclosure so the cab is a little isolated from the floor so the boom does not drop into the floor (instead it gets projected in your tone - a good thing!:lol:).

* Cabs are highly directional, so don't 'aim it' at a neighbours wall,:lol: this is how I have mine (for noise suppression) with its back to an external wall (air on the otherside) and aimed at an internal wall. So not facing or backing on to a neighbours wall.:) If that wall also is irregular in anyway that stops the sound bouncing off it too..

Really though, with an MV you can keep it at very reasonable levels, my mate had one in his bedroom age 15 when he started, it was great!! Soooooo cool! :hippie: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:
Oh I had one in bedsit in London - just a room people living in the next rooms in all directions but one... I managed it no problem.... I did go nuts one day though and the janitor said he heard it in the basement in all the heating ducts eight floors down!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Latest posts