Best booster for a 2203X? Boss SD-1 or Maxon OD9?

• Thread starter LEOVAN83
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LEOVAN83

Reaction score
Hey Hottubes70, I just sent you a PM...

Wannabeweiland, I am running a TC Electronic Polytune Tuner pedal and a Vox Clyde McCoy wah pedal, both pedals are true bypass. I used to run my MXR Booster, but that one just got sold to get an SD-1. The booster was true bypass as well.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
i like to think exactly as david hopkins does, the SD1 keeps the mids were they need to be for a marshall
hey man check out the Ibanez JD9. i was thinking about snatching one up. they have the usual tone control but, also ahve a MID control. i think that may be a great alternative boost for us. i could be wrong though since i haven't been able to test one. i'm going to try to get one soon though. it looks really useable and has more volume boost and more gain than the TS9's. may be a good option for the Marshall mids section.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge OD pedal guy. I have a soft spot in my heart for CMATMODS effects (CMAT Mods - Custom Guitar Effects for Ultimate Tone). I have their Tube Slammer, which is basically a TS9 or OD9 with true bypass and some nice feature and the Super Signa Drive which has a 3-way toggle with different EQ voices. They both kind of do different things. I also REALLY dig a couple of the BOSS overdrives. The SD-1 is great. I don't think you'd be disappointed. You really should check out a few to see how they're going to bond with your amp.

What else are you running on your board?
i love the burbs man.CLASSIC!

Username2

Reaction score
If you want the best get a Boiling Point OD, more money but you get what you pay for. If your going to run with the big dogs that is what you want, tone doesn't come cheap.

LEOVAN83

Reaction score
Hey guys, what about an Ibanez TS808? How do those work? And what about a Maxon TS 808? I mean, compared to an SD-1 or a TS9/OD9?

Crunchcity

Reaction score
You don't need boutique pedals to run with the "big dogs" imo.

I actually prefer some of my off the shelf cheap pedals to some of the boutique "gear forum stars" that are highly lauded online.

Learned some important lessons about pedal hype, lol...

slash07

Reaction score
I'd recommend, as I did in another thread:
Blackstar HT-Boost (All tube boost pedal)
Carl Martin Rock Drive (Is true bypass)
Zvex BOR (Based on a Marshall, supposed to have same basic tonality as JTM45. Also has an independent clean boost built in)
TS808 may be an option too.
Other cheaper options of course are the SD1, and Boss BD2.
The BD2 can be used to provide that slight hint of overdrive if you set it that way. It can be a really great pedal.
Take your pick. There are many to try before you invest in one.

dptone5

Reaction score
In order of preference, and I have had them all:

4) TS9
3) SD1
2) TS808
1) Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet

Several of my friends have converted to the Fulltone after hearing my tone and not one of them are going back to their previous OD pedals. They are creamy and really retain the tone of the Marshall without coloring the midrange. They also have a mid-range scoop mode if you want to play with a less vintage tone. I love that pedal!!

Sir Crunch A Lot

Reaction score
M193GT-ODOverdrive-11.png

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
An excellent Boss distortion pedal that you don't hear much about is the Mega Distortion MD-2. Set conservatively it sounds like an SD-1, but it has a crushing low end when you turn the Bottom control up, and the Distortion and Gain Boost controls give you a lot of flexibility with your tone. I picked up mine at a pawn shop for $25 and someone had marked two settings on it with a sharpie marker - Blues and EVH. They weren't too far off from that either.

Extreme Distortion for Extreme Music

The MD-2 Mega Distortion takes the bottom-heavy distortion sounds heard in today's new-school metal and pushes it to the extreme. The secret is a special dual-stage distortion circuit with an added gain boost-plus new Bottom and Tone controls-for crushing distortion with massive low end. Take your distortion into the future with the MD-2.

Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion Pedal Features:

Produces extreme, low-end distortion for modern metal and hard rock
Gain Boost circuit creates huge distortion and sustain regardless of level
New Bottom control for bottom-heavy distortion matched to 7-string guitars
Tone control adjusts balance between high and low frequencies

AdamR

Reaction score
I have both the SD1 (ebay for $25 shipped) and a TS9 (bought new) I like the TS9 a bit better. It seems smoother. buy both, use the one you like best up front stick the other in the loop for solos.

icedteaburst

Reaction score
Hey guys, what about an Ibanez TS808? How do those work? And what about a Maxon TS 808? I mean, compared to an SD-1 or a TS9/OD9?
hey, the ibanez tube screamers are licensed by maxon, maxon has the "original" design.
so it goes as follows:
ts808--->ibanez----->depending on the model its either buffered or true bypass, it sounds a bit different to me then the maxon.

od808--->maxon---->it is true bypass, it has a more "open" sound to it(less compression then the ts9 or od9) it is my fav. tube screamer in terms of sound looks and quality.

ts9--->ibanez---->this was my first tubescreamer and it sounds great as a boost but its missing a bit on the low end imho. awesome mids though.

od9--->maxon---->this doesn't take away your low end and it goes awesome with a metal rig where you need a bit more color.

the sd is not so much to my liking i do recommend the bd2 though, its a good boost and has loads of gain, sounds glassy and creamy. hope that helps and enjoy your 2203 :headbanger:

Salsg

Reaction score
The problem I've had with the SD1 and TS9, TS808, is they cut too much low end.

I currently have a BD-2 and it doesn't.