Best 'Grab And Go' Amp?

• Thread starter SuperBeaver
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'm very happy with the 2 heads and 4x12 I have at present.
Come September however I will be playing a number of smaller gigs as support for other bands.
The stages are small and as usual you get to stick your gear where you can find space. Wheeling on a 4X12 just aint going to work.

Good news is the rooms will be smallish so I'd like suggestions on a nice 1X12 20 - 30 watt amp.

Id love a 1974X but honestly I don't think I could afford to go that far money wise.

Any other suggestions?

Looking to 'tonally' keep in the same ballpark as what I have (50 watt JMP and 50 Watt Vintage Modern through Greenback cab).

V-man

Reaction score
The 1W Series are the way to go if you are not going for a live band setting. That is the only thing they cannot do (compete with acoustic drums).

brp

Reaction score
Need 2 channels? High versatility or just one standard tone?

Tweaker combo?
JMD combo as mentioned?
How about a used JCM800 combo?

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'm very happy with the 2 heads and 4x12 I have at present.
Come September however I will be playing a number of smaller gigs as support for other bands.
The stages are small and as usual you get to stick your gear where you can find space. Wheeling on a 4X12 just aint going to work.

Good news is the rooms will be smallish so I'd like suggestions on a nice 1X12 20 - 30 watt amp.

Id love a 1974X but honestly I don't think I could afford to go that far money wise.

Any other suggestions?

Looking to 'tonally' keep in the same ballpark as what I have (50 watt JMP and 50 Watt Vintage Modern through Greenback cab).

Your amps with a 2x12 cab.

Thiez

Reaction score
Indeed, pick up a smaller cab. Or get yourself a JMP combo, those things sound awesome.

reverbbb

Reaction score
Order of my preference for grab-n-go

Marshall 1974X
Orange Rocker 30C
Marshall JMD501
Marshall Haze 40

There are many others, but this is my short list. The JMD501 is the only amp in this batch that I don't own.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
The 1W Series are the way to go if you are not going for a live band setting. That is the only thing they cannot do (compete with acoustic drums).

For the best of both worlds I'm going to go for a 2X12 to run my existing heads and buy a 1 watt head. I've seen a JMP1 going for a good price and think it would be cool as I have an original JMP (albeit a MKII) an an AX cab.

I know you're a big fan of the 1 waters. Listening to the online demos the JMP sounds better to my ears than the JTM. What do you think?

V-man

Reaction score
I do not have a JTM. I have a JMP1 and a JCM1. I believe the JMP-1 is quite likely the best of the 5 (although 2 of 5 have not yet been released). My understanding is that the JTM has a great bluesy cleanish tone. The JMP on the other hand has the rock tones, from warm to supercharged. Given ONE amp to chose, I would pick the JMP.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
i'd say this run through a power amp or PA and you're good:)

there's LOTS of options now but for the tones you want i'd say class 5, any 900 or 800 combo, tiny terror with a retube (i like tung sol V1 and JJ v2),

if you retube it it's not vintagey BUT it's VERSATILE tonaly, the H&K Tubemeister's awesome. it's go from 0,1,5 and 18 watt tube and over spec'd transformers plus 3 channel footswitchable and effects loop (very good loop too imo). i've used it in metal bands WITH acoustic drums and live. sounds best cranked up and it really needs a retube imo. the stock tubes are stiff and boxy.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
I do not have a JTM. I have a JMP1 and a JCM1. I believe the JMP-1 is quite likely the best of the 5 (although 2 of 5 have not yet been released). My understanding is that the JTM has a great bluesy cleanish tone. The JMP on the other hand has the rock tones, from warm to supercharged. Given ONE amp to chose, I would pick the JMP.

I thought they were all released. The shop I'm looking to buy the JMP1 has a JVM 1 as well.

V-man

Reaction score
Europe receives the releases in advance of the US. We have JUST received the JCMs. However, the other two have NOT yet been released. Go to Marshallamps.com and click "50th anniversary series" then chose whichever of the 5 you want to view. There you will see only the first 3 have active pages. DSL1 has a "Coming in September" message. Therefore, one will have to wait until the end of the year (nov-dec) to see all 5 released.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Europe receives the releases in advance of the US. We have JUST received the JCMs. However, the other two have NOT yet been released. Go to Marshallamps.com and click "50th anniversary series" then chose whichever of the 5 you want to view. There you will see only the first 3 have active pages. DSL1 has a "Coming in September" message. Therefore, one will have to wait until the end of the year (nov-dec) to see all 5 released.

Ahh. Ok cool.

Here's a link to the website im going to get mine from.

Search Results for marshall (GUITARGUITAR)

PSH

Reaction score
Marshall 4203 Artist combo, 30 watts, 2 channel, reverb, loop. Pretty cheap also.