Best marshall amp for clean tone??

• Thread starter Jskidmore22
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sanrico

Reaction score
These aren't heads (they are combos), but for my money, the JTM 30 or JTM 60's have the best cleans I've ever heard from a Marshall. My JTM 30 sounded gorgeous shoulder-to-shoulder against my Fender Deluxe Reverb. I was shocked.

And you can get them pretty cheaply.

Lowlife

Reaction score
My first thought was on the 4100 DR, which has a great clean (and they are cheap second hand), also the JVM has a very nice clean.

boola

Reaction score
As most people have already said, any non-master amp is going to give the best cleans. JTM45/100, JTM45, Super bass, Super lead in that order for me.

Adwex

Reaction score
I had a JCM900 DR 4500, it had a decent clean channel...with spring reverb.

gdh1532

Reaction score
you can probably get a decent clean sound from just about any marshall amp, with the right settings, and guitar set up.

AustinShark

Reaction score
--can't believe nobody mentioned the often overlooked Marshall 'Club & Country' 2x12 combo. You still see them floating around every once in a while. Basically they're Marshall's answer to the Fender Twin. Great cleans and plenty powerful.

Oh, and +1 on Jubilee clean channel.
It's outstanding.

Macro

Reaction score
The land of cheesesteaks and soft pretzels
Just for clarification, I'd say first to define what you mean by 'clean'.
Are we talking bright acoustic or are we talking warm tube, slight breakup?

Realistically, I think you can find just about any generic clean tone you need in most modern Marshall amps. Unless you are trying to replicate a specific sound I'd say you could manage a lot of clean range through anything already suggested above

Cheers! :)

mr.brownstone

Reaction score
Next amp I'll buy will make my clean amp side by side with my current AFD for the dirty tones.

Do you guys think about the 2466 VM?

peterplexi

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I’m new to this site, and after spending a few days reading several posts it looks like I’ve came to the right place for all the Marshall info I can handle. So my question is this, What does everyone think the best Marshall head out there is for great “Clean” tone?
JVM 410-HJS

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Asking which Marshall has the best clean tone is like asking which 800 horsepower supercar makes the best car for driving around in a crowded mall parking lot!
:rofl:

That being said, the JTM45 has a beautiful clean tone and so does the Superlead and its relatives.

Toby Krewbs

Reaction score
DSL40 has a beautiful clean channel.And I play straight ahead jazz with a George Benson archtop through mine sometimes.EL34s are the preferred tube type for audiophile applications.Not 6l6/6v6.
Marshall DSL40C uses EL34!

Last edited:

Rokinroller

Reaction score
DSL40 has a beautiful clean channel.And I play straight ahead jazz with a George Benson archtop through mine sometimes.EL34s are the preffered tube type for audiophile applications.Not 6l6/6v6.
Marshall DSL40C uses EL34!
Very much agree . I am very impressed with this amp's clean channel ..... and everything else it can do extremely well . This really is a desert Island amp . Never has an amp impressed me this much . I'm sure the other suggestions are good too . I just dont have experience with the other Marshall amps such as JVM or 6100 . But I trust what their owner / players say for sure . The Marshall clean tones are beyond expectation .

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are soooo many types of “clean tone” @Jskidmore22, you should be a bit more descriptive about the type of clean tone.

I’m with @blues_n_cues, I like using the guitars volume to roll off for cleans, with an 800 or any Marshall really. But it’s not a crystal clear clean like you’d get with a Fender type amp, that’s why I’m asking how clean is the clean you want?

Last edited: