Best Marshall for Cream and Gary Moore tone

• Thread starter theWalrus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theWalrus

Reaction score
Hi Folks, my first post!

What's the best Marshall for (Royal Albert Hall) Cream and Gary Moore tones? And what speakers would you recommend?

From my research, it seems to be either the JTM45/100 or the JCM800, but I could be wrong: other Marshall's that caught my eye were the 1959HW, the 1987X, the JCM200 DSL, and the JVM410HJS. I wouldn't mind getting real vintage gear if that's what it takes; I love the sound.

I currently play a '69 Hiwatt DR103 with a Guv'nor pedal to get close to that Marshall tone.

Many thanks

Last edited:

chuckharmonjr

In Memorandum
Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
Not sure what Albert Hall has to with Cream..Royal Albert Hall perhaps? ..Gary Moore I understand quite well. You want Slowhand Cream tone and Gary Moore tone? Get a DSL and do the 'Joey Mods' plus a little more...get some killer pre-amp glass.....and push it with a good pedal. I can say for a fact you will get exactly what you are looking for. Been there....done that....got the tone!

theWalrus

Reaction score
- I've just edited the original post to avoid confusion. Yes, definitely, I meant Royal Albert Hall, Cream's last performance. Amazing tone.

- I tend to agree with you on the DSL: that's one of the amps Gary Moore used to play anyway.

Question:

- Where do you find reliable information on that DSL mod? I would need to explain it to an amp tech. Plus, I don't know the benefits; is worth it? How does it change the characteristics?

Thanks

chuckharmonjr

In Memorandum
Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
There are several folks here that have the readers digest condensed version of that huge sticky that explains everything that needs doing. End result of the mods is you have a plexi, a stock 800, a hot rodded 800 and a 900 from hell in the same head box. Actually...I have done those mods...and mine is absolutely amazing in what I can do with it

theWalrus

Reaction score
Clapton was using Fenders at the Royal Albert Hall shows.

Maybe at the reunion. I mean the 1968 concert:

cream1968.png

165_Cream_1968_Albert_Hall_361_A_35_1.jpg

theWalrus

Reaction score
There are several folks here that have the readers digest condensed version of that huge sticky that explains everything that needs doing. End result of the mods is you have a plexi, a stock 800, a hot rodded 800 and a 900 from hell in the same head box. Actually...I have done those mods...and mine is absolutely amazing in what I can do with it

Is the JCM2000 DSL100 handwired? Probably yes, I would assume, given the mod.

ufguy73

Reaction score
cream would havebeen a jmp100 with el34's by then.

a reissue 1959 is going to be a bit too bright and agressive to totally ail it but could get quite close.

other key to cream is to plug into the upper right (normal) channel instead of the lead input.

MKB

Reaction score
The Vintage Modern will get you close, and it has more gain on tap for more versatility.

theWalrus

Reaction score
- The unfortunate thing about the Vintage Modern and the JCM2000 DSL100 is the PCB. I have trust issues with reliability and maintenance on anything with PCB's (not commenting on their tone - they are very likely fine sounding amps). Unfortunately, that, by itself, rules out most modern Marshall's: they only hand-wire the 1974X, the 2061X, and the 1959
(Source: Marshall Amps :: Handwired)

- So, I took a look at the Gary Moore rig:
(Source: Gary Moore Gear Profile. - Les Paul Forums)

3 x Marshall 1959 Super Lead amp's
1 x Marshall 1992 Super Bass amp
2 x Marshall 1987 Super lead amp's
2 x Marshall 1960B Cabinets

Basically (five!) Super Lead's and one Super Bass, as cogr pointed out. Apparently, the Super Lead is the same as the 1959HW but with a PCB.

- If you read wiki on "Marshall 1959", the section "Notable early users" goes "early users include Eric Clapton, who in 1966, when he founded Cream, traded in his famous Bluesbreaker combo for a 1959 Plexi".
(Source: Marshall 1959 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

- So, I think I'll go with a 1959hw. I have one of those ARACOM PRX150-DAG attenuators, and I'm hopeful I can use it to crank the amp and get that nice tone without crossing my 95 dB I'm-sure-they-won't-call-the-cops limit. :) As for the cabinet, the Marshall website suggests 1960AHW (angled) and 1960BHW (straight) with Celestion G12H-30 re-issue speakers.
(Source: Marshall Amps :: Handwired)

- On speakers, I think I'll go with a 1960BHW. Are there better alternatives? Are there vintage speakers that perform much better (than Celestion G12H-30 re-issues)? Any specific drivers that sound best?

Thanks

ufguy73

Reaction score
just fyi, when ads reference a 1959, thats not really a model-specific statement.

what i mean is, there are a lot of different 1959 circuits over the years. just something to be aware of - dont think youre getting the same curcuit/tone as the guys you are referencing, just because you are getting a '1959'.

good luck with the search!

Reaction score
Gary Moore Tone:

JVM410HJS: channel 2, red mode, mids popped, gain @ noon, channel volume cranked, master in the death zone and pick it like the devil's on your tail.

I wish he hadn't drank himself to death.

I was planning a trip to Europe to see him with my 13 yo son as a surprise when I heard he passed.

Last edited:

tazzboy

Reaction score
If money is not an issue then get a JTM 45/100. If money is an issue the go with Marshall Vintage Modern.

theWalrus

Reaction score
... pick it like the devil's on your tail

haha. :)

I wish he hadn't drank himself to death.

I was planning a trip to Europe with my13 yo son as a surprise when I heard he passed.

I miss him too.

JVM410HJS

Brilliant amp with lots of gain and versatility, but I'm very skeptical about PCB stuff in terms of reliability and maintenance. With thermal expansion and contraction, there is more than a chance of stuff bending and soon enough (hard to repair) circuits shorting, etc... so that's why I prefer old-school wiring. If Joe Satriani's amp goes bad, all he needs to do is make a phone call; that's not a possibility for me. That's why I'm leaning towards the 1959HW. The same applies to the modern JTM 45/100.

I have a vintage Hiwatt Fane cabinet. I'm thinking it's probably better to leave it exclusively for the DR103 head and get a Marshall 1960BHW --- I wonder if they are over-rated and there are better alternatives. Has anyone ever run a 1959HW into a vintage 4x12 Hiwatt cab? I'd assume it's OK. The Who's live at Leeds had those cabs, and the (Marshall-like) overdrive very likely came from a Boss OD-1.

Pleximan

Reaction score
Hi Folks, my first post!

What's the best Marshall for (Royal Albert Hall) Cream and Gary Moore tones? And what speakers would you recommend?

From my research, it seems to be either the JTM45/100 or the JCM800, but I could be wrong: other Marshall's that caught my eye were the 1959HW, the 1987X, the JCM200 DSL, and the JVM410HJS. I wouldn't mind getting real vintage gear if that's what it takes; I love the sound.

I currently play a '69 Hiwatt DR103 with a Guv'nor pedal to get close to that Marshall tone.

Many thanks
Gary Moore = 1959 and tube screamer.... Oh and also a huge venue to crank it wide open...