Best Marshall for Downtuned Death Metal????

• Thread starter Shae201
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheToneDig

Reaction score
You need 6L6 or 5881 power tubes for gnarly metal. Am I right? Kerry King or Zakk Wylde signature amps are what you need.

yes. I find modern high-gain amps for death metal tend to be less reliant on power tube distortion and more reliant on the pre-amp gain stage which is why you can play a lot of them on low volume and still get a crunch tone and nearly all of them seem to use 6L6s. They also aim for a lot of headroom using high wattages and basically the opposite of how Marshall's work for high-gain tones. You usually don't need to overdrive the high-gain channel on a high-gain amp as it's overdriven enough and what defines the amp.

The question I would be asking myself is what Marshall has a high-gain channel that doesn't need boosting and I think the answer seems to be DSL/JVM so I think DSL2000 but more so the JVM has the high-gain channels for death metal. Maybe I am wrong but that's my tube thinking outside of valvestate.

gregr

Reaction score
Yeah I agree, my Engl Savage is absolute killer. I may try a couple mods but there's always been a dark corner of my conscience that says "Do it!!! Pull the trigger an a 900". Seriously though, love Surgical Steel from Carcass also.
So did you do it?

Solid State

Reaction score
Rat pedal into Marshall 800, strat guitar tone rolled back. I got this from Trevor himself. Hope this helps.

upload_2021-11-25_9-35-28.png

Here's his pedalboard. Noise Suppressor, RAT, and Tuner. A/B Switch will kick over to the second amp if the first one goes down somehow. I put red dots on the rat pedal settings but honestly, if you cut the tone on your guitar you're halfway there.

AdrianDSL

Reaction score
View attachment 98429

Here's his pedalboard. Noise Suppressor, RAT, and Tuner. A/B Switch will kick over to the second amp if the first one goes down somehow. I put red dots on the rat pedal settings but honestly, if you cut the tone on your guitar you're halfway there.
Interesting how he isn't using the loop circuit of the NS-2.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I didn't realize that the RAT pedal was used to such great effect by the Death Metal and Thrash scene. Great stuff guys. I found that my Keeley DS-1 works surprisingly well as a boost.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
HAPPY THANKSGIVING AND GOOD HEALTH TO ALL!

So many choices.., does the timbre (tone quality of sound) remain and sustain well when playing single individual notes PLUS multi string riffs/chords? That is the standard I use to judge an amp.
I found a cool vid on the valvestate.

The Valvestate was a great amp for a certain sound. I have an old late 90s Marshall combo that came right after that line ended. It has the contour control(super important to learn) but I dont think it has a tube in it.

VERVEHAMMER

Reaction score
Doesn't the RAT Ducetone have the ability to combine/switch 2 amps at once?

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
The Valvestate was a great amp for a certain sound. I have an old late 90s Marshall combo that came right after that line ended. It has the contour control(super important to learn) but I dont think it has a tube in it.
The Mk II Valvestates had a tube in amps 65W and above.
I have the VS65R and I love it.
The only downside is the lack of Bass control.
It does nothing after 12 O'clock, which could be an intrinsic fault or just on mine.
I have EQ in the loop to compensate.

A VS65R works great down to drop C, but I haven't got a guitar that can reliably go lower.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
The Mk II Valvestates had a tube in amps 65W and above.
I have the VS65R and I love it.
The only downside is the lack of Bass control.
It does nothing after 12 O'clock, which could be an intrinsic fault or just on mine.
I have EQ in the loop to compensate.

A VS65R works great down to drop C, but I haven't got a guitar that can reliably go lower.

My combo is a G50RCD. It has Park branding on it for some reason. It seems like an amp very few people know about. I think the best part about it is the clean channel. The clean channel distorts once you get to 5 on the volume. Instant AC/DC at high volumes.

Latest posts