Best noise gate/suppressor/eliminator etc.... pedal

• Thread starter Sg-ocaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
OK having 3x P90 guitars and a strat I obviously deal with 60 cycle hum issues. What is the most transparent noise gate/ eliminator pedal???
Ive tried MXR noise gate line driver and iot cuts nbotes off.
Boss noise suppressor.....same thing
and
EH hum debugger.....doesnt cut notes but has a weird digital artifact underchorus tone thing going on. I keep it on my board but only if I get in a club that has BAD noise and I have too use it.
Whats out there?

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK having 3x P90 guitars and a strat I obviously deal with 60 cycle hum issues. What is the most transparent noise gate/ eliminator pedal???
Ive tried MXR noise gate line driver and iot cuts nbotes off.
Boss noise suppressor.....same thing
and
EH hum debugger.....doesnt cut notes but has a weird digital artifact underchorus tone thing going on. I keep it on my board but only if I get in a club that has BAD noise and I have too use it.
Whats out there?

I have very simple rigs with usually one or two pedals at the most. So I use a simple noise gate.

ISP Deci-Mate
ISP Technologies DECI-MATE Micro Noise Reduction Pedal | Sweetwater

It does it's job exactly like I want it to and stays out of my way. No audible artifacts, quite unnoticeable at reasonable settings.

Depending on your rig and pedal board you might need one of ISP's more full featured versions, such as the Decimator or G-String. Full blown gate systems even use two, one in front and one in the loop....

Last edited:

jmp45

Reaction score
I have very simple rigs with usually one or two pedals at the most. So I use a simple noise gate.

ISP Deci-Mate
ISP Technologies DECI-MATE Micro Noise Reduction Pedal | Sweetwater

It does it's job exactly like I want it to and stays out of my way. No audible artifacts, quite unnoticeable at reasonable settings.

Depending on your rig and pedal board you might need one of ISP's more full features versions, such as the Decimator or G-String. Full blown gate systems even use two, one in front and one in the loop....

+1, ISP Decimate is the best I've come across.

V-man

Reaction score
I was going to suggest the humdebugger but your experience is something to keep in mind. I agree the ISP gear is the standard for proper gate. Some have suggested Fortin Zuul or Lone Wolf Audio Endless Blockade, but for what you are trying to accomplish, the ISP should do. For extra protection, compare it to the Decimator 2 G-string units. I think the mare is more pedal board friendly, but not certain it offers the same features/intensity as the 2 Gstring

Ken Ops

Reaction score
Before switching to all Helix all the time (HX Effects, actually), I used a TC Electronic Sentry. Worked great.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried a bunch, still have an ISP G String II and a TCE Sentry, but I believe the best to be the Fortin Zuul+. I have several of these.

Zuul-Plus3_300x.jpg

Last edited:

PiZet

Reaction score
I tried some cheap Chinese noise gates that cut everything, I tried the Boss NS-2 (cut the attack). Ultimately, I trusted Sentry by TC, although the configuration options of this gate gave me a headache.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Another vote for the TC Sentry here.

Had an NS-2, but it was awful. Volume drop when engaged and a swell effect too.

The noise gates on my Boss GT-100 and the ZNR on my Zoom MS-70CDR are great too

NickkiC

Reaction score
I have one of the first Hush2 that still works as did when new. And a HumX + Decimator pedal and a rack which is more than I need but I’m prepared. I do notice the Decimator has some strange artifacts going on, shimmer/compression. Get a used Hush2 pedal or box.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have a Decimator that I love, but it's just a gate. It's not going to stop the P-90 hum when the gate is open right? That is, it's not doing any filtering... it's just cutting the signal completely off when the gate closes.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
I have an original Boss NS-2 that I've been using for the past 27-28 years, and it has always worked PERFECTLY for me. no tone suck at all, and it does not kill the pick attack. as long as you know how to wire it up (there are many ways to hook it up with your rig), it works great. don't believe all the hate talk about it not being a good noise gate/suppressor. those are the people that are not utilizing it correctly, OR maybe they have a later era NS-2 and it might not be quite as good as the original version.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
isp decimator g string is the way to go, or its chinese clone by demon fx.
Necro thread resurrection warning.

Was looking for a solution for some noisy dirt pedal boards and found this thread s few days ago.
I've had good luck with Demonfx pedals, so decided to give their gate a try.

Found a good deal on one, and the next day I found an even better deal on another.
Figured I could roll one, or both if they don't work.
Both showed up today and they are both staying.
Noisy dirt pedals have been silenced.

So, just a thanks to all you guys for the recommendations and practical knowledge from some people I trust, and not some beanbag in the review sections.

jtm45gate.jpgo20gate.jpg

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
Necro thread resurrection warning.

Was looking for a solution for some noisy dirt pedal boards and found this thread s few days ago.
I've had good luck with Demonfx pedals, so decided to give their gate a try.

Found a good deal on one, and the next day I found an even better deal on another.
Figured I could roll one, or both if they don't work.
Both showed up today and they are both staying.
Noisy dirt pedals have been silenced.

So, just a thanks to all you guys for the recommendations and practical knowledge from some people I trust, and not some beanbag in the review sections.

View attachment 147702View attachment 147703
now that you have two you can daisy chain like the decimator. I`ve always wanted to do the same. I´m glad I could help.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
NS-2. When wired correctly works and is transparent.
Not in my experience.
Followed instructions, to the letter.
Tried straight through = volume drop.
Tried Loop = volume swell.
Always on a Boss 9v wall wort.

Probably a dud, but once bitten......

johnny q

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of hot/cold opinions on the venerable Boss NS-2. Personally, I have found zero need to look anywhere else for a noise gate as this has always suited my needs. I used it way back in the day when I played a Strat into a DOD 250 into a Marshall amp (yes, I wanted to be Yngwie!)