Best noise gate/suppressor/eliminator etc.... pedal

• Thread starter Sg-ocaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Today I am using a Joyo Chopper Z
not saying its the best but its an adjustable noise gate in a high gain OD.
The built in IR's are bad but as a cheap OD with a noise gate it works.

jmp45

Reaction score
I'm still using the isp decimator 2 and happy with it. I have it set for humbuckers, singles and p90s 60 cycle will come through. I haven't changed the setting for the singles. When wife hits the treadmill all bets are off. Nothing stops the line noise when that is running. ;)

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Not 100% positive here but there may have been revisions made and possibly the early ones were not as good? That said later tonight i'm gonna try the newest revision:

View attachment 147757
hey there. I'm really curious to find out what you think of the brand new version of the NS-2. would you happen to know how it compares to an O.G. version? let me know when you have a moment.

paradox419

Reaction score
Here's another vote for the TC Electronics Sentry. 4 cable method keeps everything perfectly quiet when its supposed to be.

anitoli

Reaction score
hey there. I'm really curious to find out what you think of the brand new version of the NS-2. would you happen to know how it compares to an O.G. version? let me know when you have a moment.
I will give you a review when i get around to hooking it up life just happened to sling shot my ass in a different direction, lol.

V-man

Reaction score
The big 3 are the ISP Decimator II G-String (not the Plain II or I anything), the TC Sentry, and the Fortin Zuul. There are also boutique like Lone Wolf Endless Blockade, etc. which get good reviews but are harder to determine how well they do by sample size.

I have heard subtle things for and against the top 3 (as the top 3). the Boss NS-2 is a joke by today’s standards for high gain metal that demands immediate closure for palm-muted chugs and sustain for ringing notes and harmonics. I am curious about the Boss NS-1X but have been put off by what appears to be a digital signal after the pedal.

Noise gates are primarily for metal playing with over the top high gain that needs to be slammed shut instantaneously. If you have noisy shit, the noise gate (while perhaps a first pick 1985-2003 when something like the NS-2 was considered great) is often NOT what you are looking for regarding taming a hissing fuzz or buzzing SC. Devices like the Noise Clamp and Hum Debugger target those applications and are not noise gates.

december

Reaction score
The ISP Decimate Micro works perfectly, and only has one knob. If you need a gate with a loop I'm pretty sure they have a model like that with more control over the gate than just threshold.
If you use the guitar volume a lot, this introduces a problem when using a gate. Every time you change the guitar volume, the relationship between the signal level and gate threshold changes, so you basically have to adjust the threshold every time you change the volume.
The built-in gate in my Peavey Invective MH isn't adjustable, and if I lower the guitar volume just a tiny bit, it starts chopping off the attack and decay of notes and even power chords. But I haven't had this problem with the Decimate Micro. The threshold is set just above my pickup noise (which is significant) and no matter where I put the volume, the gate always opens when it should. I never even notice it's there, unless I turn it off, then I get to remember how much noise I don't have to hear because of it.
I've only heard good things about ISP gates.