Best Od And Clean Boost For Plexi Style Amp Nmv

• Thread starter tman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jmp45

Reaction score
Can you use the OCD as a clean boost as well with volume turned up and gain down?And does it sound good with more gain added into a already dirty amp plexi dirty?? Not preamp dirty lol

Hmm.. scurried down to the bunker on this. OCD with switch to LP, gain:0, vol:max. It's just a little over unity levels with a very slight dirt with a bridge humbucker, much less dirt to clean with a neck single. bump the gain slightly and you have a quick volume boost with a little dirt. I tested this through my SLP and small check 70s cab. If you are looking for an absolute clean boost I'd look at something else. For me though, I could use this as a boost with my rigs. It's an awesome pedal with quite a bit of range, way much more than a ts9 types imho.

IMG_2422_zpsvmfwdzqk.jpg

tman

Reaction score
Hmm.. scurried down to the bunker on this. OCD with switch to LP, gain:0, vol:max. It's just a little over unity levels with a very slight dirt with a bridge humbucker, much less dirt to clean with a neck single. bump the gain slightly and you have a quick volume boost with a little dirt. I tested this through my SLP and small check 70s cab. If you are looking for an absolute clean boost I'd look at something else. For me though, I could use this as a boost with my rigs. It's an awesome pedal with quite a bit of range, way much more than a ts9 types imho.

IMG_2422_zpsvmfwdzqk.jpg
No that sounds cool I dont mind a slight amount of dirt with it.What is the diff with LP AND HP on that?

jmp45

Reaction score
I use the LP range, HP pushes into distortion, LP overdrive. High Pass / Low Pass, High Power / Low Power.. I'm not sure what it means. But HP definitely has more gain. LP works best for me as an od.

tman

Reaction score
I use the LP range, HP pushes into distortion, LP overdrive. High Pass / Low Pass, High Power / Low Power.. I'm not sure what it means. But HP definitely has more gain. LP works best for me as an od.
And you like the OCD more than the FD2 or FD3 by Fulltone

jmp45

Reaction score
I use both, ocd & fd2. No experience with fd3. Between the two? OCD. Try sweetwater, can always return if it doesn't fit.

R.Kandy

Reaction score
How is the Fulltone OCD for these kind of amps?

IMO: The OCD is the best out there. I've tried Tube Screamers, SD-1's and MXR's, and nothing really fit like the OCD. It really makes my Strat sound like a Strat, and plugged into my Marshall just brings out the tone I want that much more. :fever:

R.Kandy

Reaction score
56f96fa975f927001b9bf885.jpg

I am sure no one here will be overly shocked that I am once again on the OCD band wagon !!!!!!!

tman

Reaction score
I use both, ocd & fd2. No experience with fd3. Between the two? OCD. Try sweetwater, can always return if it doesn't fit.
Yeah thats who I usually order from.Ok Ill try the OCD sounds like a possible winner.

The Ozzk

Reaction score

IMG_2422_zpsvmfwdzqk.jpg
That's one helluva rig brother... :cool:

Anthony King

Reaction score
Can you use the OCD as a clean boost as well with volume turned up and gain down?And does it sound good with more gain added into a already dirty amp plexi dirty?? Not preamp dirty lol
I've heard nothing but good things about the OCD. That was my 2nd choice..but I have the same concern as you about how much extra gain it will throw on an already gain-heavy amp. I'm sure someone here can give us their assessment. I wouldn't mind a touch of extra gain so I still may go with the OCD if the Micro Amp doesn't do the trick. I'll let you all know if the Micro Amp works for me. I really just need the volume boost..I've got plenty of gain.

Last edited:

tman

Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good things about the OCD. That was my 2nd choice..but I have the same concern as you about how much extra gain it will throw on an already gain-heavy amp. I'm sure someone here can give us their assessment. I wouldn't mind a touch of extra gain so I still may go with the OCD if the Micro Amp doesn't do the trick. I'll let you all know if the Micro Amp works for me. I really just need the volume boost..I've got plenty of gain.
Well its just Plexi gain not pre-amp gain I have a NMV amp so it could use a little more if I needed it. That's why I'm kinda drifting towards trying the OCD it sounds pretty transparent from what I heard. I don't hear any real spikes in eq maybe some mids but that just makes it warmer so that's good. And on LP mode with volume up and gain down it does kinda work as a slightly gritty clean boost which is cool. I don't play a lot of purely clean stuff anyways and if I do I just roll volume on guitar down a bit.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me say right now V4 OCD can lick the cheese wiz off my dick. If you get one I will put you on ignore cause you like to belong to some dip stick pedal club.

However if you have balls at all you will take practical pedal boost advice and rise above those who can't bend a string one way or the other.

Fucking pedal tramps. Bro you can't buy into everything you hear on this forum. Make them put up a clip. Otherwise they just want to grease your pick. Pussies.

A clean boost will do jus fine and some OD'S will too.

Do you want flavor or just a bit of juice in the front?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO: The OCD is the best out there. I've tried Tube Screamers, SD-1's and MXR's, and nothing really fit like the OCD. It really makes my Strat sound like a Strat, and plugged into my Marshall just brings out the tone I want that much more. :fever:

Love my SD-1.

Last edited:

tman

Reaction score
Let me say right now V4 OCD can lick the cheese wiz off my dick. If you get one I will put you on ignore cause you like to belong to some dip stick pedal club.

However if you have balls at all you will take practical pedal boost advice and rise above those who can't bend a string one way or the other.

Fucking pedal tramps. Bro you can't buy into everything you hear on this forum. Make them put up a clip. Otherwise they just want to grease your pick. Pussies.

A clean boost will do jus fine and some OD'S will too.

Do you want flavor or just a bit of juice in the front?
Well kinda both brother I want to juice front end up but if I need the extra gain I wouldnt mind that either.