Best open back combo speaker JCM 800 4010

• Thread starter stratburst
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dreyn77

Reaction score
open back just has less punch comming through the front of the speaker box. this results in the perception of less mids and bass. but they are still there! so any speaker should be good. the ones with 'paper' cones reproduce the sound and the ones with a mix of paper and something else will deaden the sound

mxr2000

Reaction score
I was thinking about an 100 watts Scumback M75 8 ohms speaker ( Greenback pre Rola sound),you guys think it would be overkill for a 50 watts amp having the extra watts ?

stratburst

Reaction score
trust me you want the bright cap on...you will loose gain and spark taking it out. marshall didn't put it there for nothing.

Not a fan of it in the circuit myself. I find the amp too bright with it in. After trying different things I settled with it out of the circuit and went with NOS RFT ECC83 in the pre amp to balance out the tone.

I recommend de-soldering one leg and instead of cutting it. That way you can easily tack it back in if you find you prefer it.

stratburst

Reaction score
i don't have the scratch right now for some real-deal 65's. how are the WGS versions? i have 70's in my 4104, and even though i think they're ok, it's probably just because i've never heard anything better in them, since by ALL accounts, they suck hard and long. i was thinking of the ET65's, or pairing an ET65 with a Vet 30. WGS actually suggested a pair of 30's, but I just don't know. i'm looking for classic southern rock out of it, or something close. if it sounds good, it'll work, if you know what i mean. (i'm not trying to "nail that tone" on anything.)
thanks!

I've a single black back G12-65 from 79 I believe, sitting in a box that I'd be willing to let go. PM me if interested.

Ricochet

Reaction score
It's a great way to blow a speaker too.

Hence the addition of "unless you dime the amp all the time".
Obviously you'll need to know what your doing. Overspec'ing a speaker is a great way to blow up an amp too. In fact, the "2x the ampwattage rule" only applies if you do NOT dime it...

So what speaker did you get?

mxr2000

Reaction score
All right but anyway it wont make any difference,if it is 65 watts speaker or a 100 watts speaker at low volume bedroom levels ?

bosnialove

Reaction score
Necropost.

My 4010 Marshall has the G12-65 Celestion speaker in it. :)

Latest posts