Best rock guitar around 1000$

• Thread starter Guitargearfreak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
another detail that bugs me about the V is the layout of the controls... I play a lot with the volume controls and switch... they are really close to each other, with the jack and the pup selector... I much prefer the old school linear layout with more space between the knobs (like my explorer), and the jack away from the controls and the player

jackassrock

Reaction score
How about a double cut LP special ?? It's essentially the same as an Explorer, V, or SG, just a flat top solid mahogany body with a neck glued on it and two humbuckers. Plus it looks a lot more punk than the EXP and the V. It's in the right price range too. It's also light and fits in a regular sized case.

Reaction score
How about a double cut LP special ?? It's essentially the same as an Explorer, V, or SG, just a flat top solid mahogany body with a neck glued on it and two humbuckers. Plus it looks a lot more punk than the EXP and the V. It's in the right price range too. It's also light and fits in a regular sized case.

nice one! yeah, I never tried one of these but they scream punk rock for sure! I tried a les paul junior last week, it was good but the single pick up configuration was bugging me... that could do the trick! hmmm... :naughty:

EDIT: oups it seems like they don't do this one anymore... you need to buy the custom shop one... 2500$....

johnemac

Reaction score
How 'bout going for some real WOW factor, an Eds 1275. Not around $1000, but do-able if you are willing to part with the goldtop.

Attachments

• eds.jpg
    eds.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 9

javier pintos

Reaction score
have you tried the hammer xt series vector? iknow they´re only an oversees cheap guitar, i played one a couple of weeks ago and is not bad at all, i would change the PUPs and that would be about it

i have a LP studio, a Gib Explorer and a Squier strat, that Hamer might be the exception, but i did like it a lot and so says a guy with an 80´s Kramer and others with Fender, Gib, Gretch, etc that hang out, if you can, try it, if you don´t like it, you just wasted some time and if you do you might end up buying a 400 bucks guitar and keep 1400!!!

one thing though, the flame top version is just a laminate not solid, one hard hit on the binding and the laminate pops up

the standard korina comes with SD PUPs and the quilt comes with EMGs

Reaction score
maybe even a epiphone flying v korina would do the trick... anyone has tried one? after all, I'm looking for a backup...

javier pintos

Reaction score
go for the xt series they are overseas not the usa, here´s the list price from their web page

Standard
MODEL DESCRIPTION Finishes LIST
STD Standard BK $599.50
STDF Standard Flametop CS $739.50
STDQE Standard Quilt w/EMG-H4 DCB $829.50
Vector Flametop
MODEL DESCRIPTION Finishes LIST
VEC Vector BK $599.50
VECF Vector Flametop CS,HB $739.50

here´s a link for an online web dealer for the korina Hamer Standard Korina Electric Guitar - STDK - ZoZo Music

you should be able to get nock from 100 to 200 street price

SgtB

Reaction score
I would get a used Gibson Les Paul Studio Vintage Mahogany. It's a carved top and has Burstbuckers. Find one on ebay for about $700 and upgrade the tuners and pots. Youll have a great sounding guitar and have extra money to play with.

Roadburn

Reaction score
...or.

These guys (Zakk W, Steve V, Paul G, David L, J Y) for instance would give thumbs up for a Fernandes

I'm happy with my Japan Customshop (bit more expensive then $1000 though)

Madaxeman

Reaction score
...or.

These guys (Zakk W, Steve V, Paul G, David L, J Y) for instance would give thumbs up for a Fernandes

I'm happy with my Japan Customshop (bit more expensive then $1000 though)

+1 to that. Also early/mid 80's Burny's, Grecos and Tokais can be had for under $1000 (US) if you you look around enough. The singer/rhthym player in my band picked up an EGF 1200 Greco Les Paul Flametop for £450 and it is pretty much on a par with my Gibson Customshop reissue.

Also Gordon Smiths are pretty good guitars if you've got a low budget.
Not sure you if you can get em in the states though.

Ascension

Reaction score
For under a grand that has everything your asking for and then some?

Dean Dime Razorback
41234-large.jpg

God knows that SOB says rock.

Uh $1K ??? NOPE that is a USA and priced up around $5000.
I know the Dime stuff well and once owned the SN 002 Washy Stealth Dime played for the model intro at the 2000 NAMM show (Sold it in Feb 2010 for just OVER $5K)
DSC01334.jpg

Reaction score
First of all thank you guys for all your input. I've tried a lot of the guitars you told me to check out.

But the winner is............................................... I did it, I bought a brand new Flying V, classic white.

I finally found one that has an amazing neck (the first I tried has a baseball bat). I still shouldn't say "everything was perfect out of the box": one groove of the nut has to be cut deeper, the action was horrible (I like my action high, but man, that was crazy high). but all of that has been corrected by the luthier before I leave the store. So I went home with a fantastic guitar.

+
Very light
Awesome thick tone (It's early to say, but I think I prefer the V over my Les Paul and Explorer)
So easy to play
Ebony fretboard
Looks rock as f***!!

-
Cheap pickguard (it waves at some point)
The 2 volume controls, tone, switch, and plug are all in the same spot. It makes it hard to adjust the volume quickly... I might remove the tone control of my way, and then it would be allright, I never use it anyway.

Here's the baby:
IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

Blisster

Reaction score
Beuatiful.

$20 says your explorer becomes the backup! :D

can I ask the ballpark what you paid for it?

Reaction score
Yeah, I think you're right, this is gonna be my main axe. I'll try it live in a few days, that would be the real test.

I got it for 1200$ including taxes

Blisster

Reaction score
she's a beaut man. I know you'll enjoy her.
Here's my current mistress. Oddly enough, I'm hoping to add and Exp to the mix......

attachment.php

you're gonna LOVE the V!!!!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 68

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:D Right Now I have to say this:

AX40-TGO_.png

Best Guitar I've played in some time.
Ask me again in about 1/2 year after the Honeymoon wears off...

:D:D TWIN