Best Speaker Choice for a 1x12 Cab

• Thread starter Mark_G
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which one for what I described?

• Green

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Cream

Votes: 20 66.7%

• Total voters

Mark_G

Reaction score
I am going to get a 1x12 cab for easy transport on smaller gigs that won't require more than a single 12".
I'll be using my SV20H; likely with a Fryette Power station.

I pretty much decided on either a G12M (25-Watts) or a G12M-65 (65-Watts). While historically I've preferred the darker/chewier Greenbacks, I am concerned that the 25W power handling for a single 12 might not be good if I were to re-amp/boost the SV20 to the 40+ Watt range, exceeding the greens power handling. Getting the Creamback will allow more wiggle room power handling wise, but might be too crisp/punchy for the sound I want.

With that said, would any of you take the risk and get the Green over the Cream from what I described above? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pretty much decided on either a G12M (25-Watts) or a G12M-65 (65-Watts). While historically I've preferred the darker/chewier Greenbacks, I am concerned that the 25W power handling for a single 12 might not be good if I were to re-amp/boost the SV20 to the 40+ Watt range, exceeding the greens power handling. Getting the Creamback will allow more wiggle room power handling wise, but might be too crisp/punchy for the sound I want.

Have you considered the H-75 cream back?
They're a little "darker/chewier" than the M-65 (imo) - I have some of both.

svinyard

Reaction score
I've A/B'd these exact speakers (and 5 others) over and over inside of my DSL40 cab. No contest. Greenback sounded a LOT better. The Creamback isn't a Greenback. If you want to prove it like I did...order them both on Amazon (free returns) and test them yourself. The Creamback was fine and good enough BUT...it absolutely was tame on the upper mids/highs...it was creamy and pleasant with less breakup. That greenback sorta sizzle/breakup with the woody mids...the Creamback doens't really do the sizzle breakup. The mids are nice but it just doesn't have the same character. When you run them A/B within 5 mins of each other, you'll automatically go "oh yeah the greenback". I did that with some musician friends and that was the response.

Also, Celestion over watts based on the label. 25w in a 20w amp will be fine I bet. Trust me....I really tried to talk myself into the Creamback because it would actually work in my DSL unlike the Greenback, but it just didn't do that Classic Rock Greenback thing. Maybe the Scumback would but I don't get free returns on those. In the end I just returned all the speakers and stuck with the Stock V-Type in the DSL and bought an SV20 and a 1965a cab.

BTW...not sure what your transport options are etc...but the 1965 4x10 cabs are incredible and REALLY compliment the SV20 (which is rowdy!) nicely. WAY better sounding than a 1x12 and you'll look like a stud on stage with an actual proper vintage Marshall cab sitting behind you. Those stock 10" speakers kick ass. It's not as small as a 1x12 cab but it's the same weight (or lighter). If you get a nice Mesa cab with a 1x12 speaker, they'll be like 35-41lbs. 17"x 23"x 11.5"

Marshall 1965a
Weight: 43lbs Dimensions: 24′′ x 24′′ x 11.5′

Last edited:

Mark_G

Reaction score
Also, Celestion over watts based on the label. 25w in a 20w amp will be fine I bet. Trust me....I really tried to talk
Thank you very much for all the info! Only thing, if I use the Power Station to increase headroom, it'll likely be pushing the speaker too hard and might fail, so that's why I thought a Creamback (65 + watt) would be 'safer' then a single Green rated at only 25w. But I favor the greenback tone.

And I don't doubt the 1965 4x10 would be a WAY better option in sound, but it's still too large for my car lol.

Last edited:

Mark_G

Reaction score
Have you considered the H-75 cream back?
They're a little "darker/chewier" than the M-65 (imo) - I have some of both.
Thanks! I forgot about the heritage variant. I know that a 1x12 in a live setting is hard to capture that classic rock growl that a 4x12 cab can. But I'm trying to get as close as possible. A single greenback will 'kinda' do it, but I'd hate to blow it up if I push it too hard with the Power Station. I guess a single 65-75 will provide safer leeway... I think? lol

Last edited:

speyfly

Reaction score
Soooo many variables regarding what speaker for what cab. I have a nice collection of 1X12 cabs all loaded with different quality speakers, swapping speakers around testing the variable's is easy with a single 12 cab, love the flexibility they provide, always looking to add to the collection.

Openback's, closed, cab size ( I like oversized) compact closed ported, construction materials, birch ply, solid pine, solid poplar, MDF, genre, just a ton of stuff to consider.

You'll get good advice here and you can always contact the speaker builder (sometimes) and they can help as well.

Good luck!

And welcome to the asylum Mark...

AtomicRob

Reaction score
And I don't doubt the 1965 4x10 would be a WAY better option in sound, but it's still too large for my car lol.
I have a 1965B cab and recently got a 1933 1x12 with a creamback... To my ears anyway the creamback has a much more pleasant midrange sound. The 1965 sounds a bit hollow by comparison. It's surprising listening to them side by side. The 1965 might sound pretty good in its own way but it's very different from the typical greenback or creamback sound. I'll probably end up eventually selling the 1965 because I don't see myself using it much now that I have the 1933. And I'm out of space!

JM5010

Reaction score
Give an early 80's vented magnet G12T-75 a try. Really nice mids, not scooped like other versions. More bass though. But these speakers amplify bass in a very smooth way

Emiel

Reaction score
Out of the G12M25 and 65... I would pick the... Fat Jimmy C1265GB! I am a big Greenback fan and imho the FJ beats both Celestions for thatGB tone. It had a nice full low end, open crunchy mids and the high end is not as sharp as the Celestions. To my surprise it is even cheaper as well here in Europe.

Oh and try to get a closed back ported 1x12, like mentioned earlier. I have a Bluguitar Fatcab that is really wonderful. It sounds like a baby 4x12, it projects better than most 2x12s and doesn't lack any low end!

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Out of the G12M25 and 65... I would pick the... Fat Jimmy C1265GB! I am a big Greenback fan and imho the FJ beats both Celestions for thatGB tone. It had a nice full low end, open crunchy mids and the high end is not as sharp as the Celestions. To my surprise it is even cheaper as well here in Europe.
They do sound worth a try!

Mark_G

Reaction score
I have a 1965B cab and recently got a 1933 1x12 with a creamback... To my ears anyway the creamback has a much more pleasant midrange sound. The 1965 sounds a bit hollow by comparison. It's surprising listening to them side by side. The 1965 might sound pretty good in its own way but it's very different from the typical greenback or creamback sound. I'll probably end up eventually selling the 1965 because I don't see myself using it much now that I have the 1933. And I'm out of space!
Thanks, good to know about the creamback. I haven't played through one in a very long time but I've had great experiences in the past with greens. Maybe the 'newer' creambacks are just better than the newer greenbacks. Of course, it's all subjective anyway.

Mark_G

Reaction score
Give an early 80's vented magnet G12T-75 a try. Really nice mids, not scooped like other versions. More bass though. But these speakers amplify bass in a very smooth way
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out some demos of it. 👍

Mark_G

Reaction score
They do sound worth a try!

Thanks. 👍 I've heard good things about Jimmy speakers but never played them. I'll look into some YouTube comparative demos.

NickKUK

Reaction score
I've A/B'd these exact speakers (and 5 others) over and over inside of my DSL40 cab. No contest. Greenback sounded a LOT better. The Creamback isn't a Greenback. If you want to prove it like I did...order them both on Amazon (free returns) and test them yourself. The Creamback was fine and good enough BUT...it absolutely was tame on the upper mids/highs...it was creamy and pleasant with less breakup. That greenback sorta sizzle/breakup with the woody mids...the Creamback doens't really do the sizzle breakup. The mids are nice but it just doesn't have the same character. When you run them A/B within 5 mins of each other, you'll automatically go "oh yeah the greenback". I did that with some musician friends and that was the response.

BTW...not sure what your transport options are etc...but the 1965 4x10 cabs are incredible and REALLY compliment the SV20 (which is rowdy!) nicely.

Marshall 1965a
Weight: 43lbs Dimensions: 24′′ x 24′′ x 11.5′

I have a 16R cream back g12m-65 in an oversized 1x12 23.4"x24.5"x12.6" which is taller and made out of 12mm ply (beech and birch). It's a combo and driven by a 2W amp hence the output transformer has a low frequency roll off and I don't have any treble peaking or bright caps..

I'd agree with this. The creamback does do mids and bass, has the same bark but misses the top end fizzle. You can over-peak the treble by modding the amp and regain some of it but it's not the same. 4x12 with a larger output transformer of 18/50W will give you more crack at the bottom end too.
Reason I took a creamback is that the 5W output transformer I use supports treble up to 30KHz but rolls of bass frequency earlier than the large drakes etc. It simply doesn't have the metal to maintain the flux to drive lower frequencies. Instead I get a natural mid-high amp (real jcm800 front end) that is then tamed by the cream back when I'm sat close (max output measured is 100dB so this is a small room amp).

A creamback is very polite, is vintage sounding with a vintage sounding clean and mid breakup but with top-end roll off that stops it being harsh/fizzle. It's great if you're sat right in front if the speaker. It is a good speaker if you want more but don't want to drown out the top end in a mix or in a band. It is a good companion speaker to the greenback in a 2x12.
If you roll off the treble on the guitar you can get good blues breakup, will it sing? possibly but I'd need to try that with more volume.

So I've not voted as I think my scenario is not a common scenario but I have put what I think together.

I am in half a mind to make a 2x12 baffle for kicks and giggles. Put in a greenback 16R too just to add a little sparkle.

Last edited:

Mark_G

Reaction score
A creamback is very polite, is vintage sounding with a vintage sounding clean and mid breakup but with top-end roll off that stops it being harsh/fizzle. It's great if you're sat right in front if the speaker. It is a good speaker if you want more but don't want to drown out the top end in a mix or in a band. It is a good companion speaker to the greenback in a 2x12.
If you roll off the treble on the guitar you can get good blues breakup, will it sing? possibly but I'd need to try that with more volume.

So I've not voted as I think my scenario is not a common scenario but I have put what I think together.

I am in half a mind to make a 2x12 baffle for kicks and giggles. Put in a greenback 12R too just to add a little sparkle.
I appreciate this post very much! A while back, (like 25+ years ago) my friend had a 2x12 cab with a green and a cream in it that I borrowed on some gigs. That combination sounded great.
I'm pretty sure if I drove my SV20 into a single G12 M (25-watt) it would sound good, get a bit of that top fizzle/sparkle - but... if I were to re-amp with a Power Station, taking it up to the 50-watt range, (depending on the venue size or outdoor) I'm concerned about potentially blowing up the speaker. This of course wouldn't be an issue with a 2x12, 4x10 or greater cab. But I need to keep the footprint small, as well as weight. So that's the only reason for the 1x12.

Latest posts