• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

BK Butler Tube Driver

• Thread starter Biff Maloy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mtm105

Reaction score
I've had all 3 versions. Real Tube my fav. I was bummed because it needed fixing, builder called me on phone at work and told me how to fix.

It was my go to fav. But it's old. Outdated, considering how builders build.

Today my 2 favs TONEBONE (orginal both Hot Brit and Classic) and VOX Bulldog, built by I believe same builder who built original Univibe. I gave up my corksniffing tendancies, for what I believe is better tone. EJ can kiss my ass.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Finally got my Butler Tube Driver in today. I bought the bias knob version.

Plugging it in later but this isn't a crank day so I'll have to wait for a chance to really see what it does at loud volume with my SV20H.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Got to give it a run today though my SV20H at volume. High Treble channel high input and volume on 9. 59 Stratocaster. I briefly tried a Y cable into both inputs but that was a bit too ambitious and early. I started getting somewhere with it about the time i needed to shut down. Definitely a sensitive box. Little dab here or there makes a difference. Played with the bias adjustment and there's some sensitivity there also but i could tell a difference. I'm going to burn in the stock 12AX7 for a while to get a baseline but I'm sure a 12AU7, 5751 lower gain tube is going to more fit in the long run. I'm not looking for a lot of gain from it but more that fat thing it's supposed to do to single coils with some hair.

Although there's a slight hum that i think i can remedy, if not it's not that bad, it doesnt add much noise at all. Idle amp noise is one thing but SHHIIIIIISH i can't stand so it definitely passed that test. Quieter than i expected. I had it set around unity at 6.5 and gain 2.5. High and Low around 4 and 6. There's something for me in this area but again to my ears it don't take but a detent or so on those controls. Just for kicks i boosted that with my SD1W set for a signal boost and i started hearing the slight fuzzy harmonics thing I'm wanting for over the top. Again, very little noise. In fact the Boss added no noise really.

Very early but so far so good. I've seen these since the 80s but this is the first time I've tried one. I can also see right away how polarizing this effect could be. It's definitely not a bedroom volume use box. Without amp volume, which i tried, i guess it could provide somewhat usuable dirt but there's a sea of dirt boxes that would be a better fit.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Biff, the bias pot backed off IIRC is to emulate a lower gain tube like an au7. Try that first before you start rolling tubes.

Will do and Thanks for the advice. If i did anything it'd be much later but what you said makes sense. Bias control is a nice feature. I did get a noticeable mellowing of the tone there. Little less bite with more compression if that's the word. It was this control that got me closer to what i want i thought.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I'm using a 5 knob tube driver into random four holers, typically a super lead. I have it set to more of an EJ solo tone a hair brighter. It's the most musical drive I've experienced. It's number one on the boards.

pedalboards_05.jpg

Thread's a few months ago. I am in complete agreement with your description of the Tube Driver. I hadn't been using my amps much when i got mine but lately I've been tuning it with my SV20H. It's very unique sounding and i feel like this is the missing link to the sound I've been chasing for a good while now. Ive played with many a boost over the years. Most are great but I prefer straight in. With the TD set right it's like straight in on steroids.

I see your pedal setup. I can tell you go for quality. I like that. Right now I'm running a delay after the TD and before the amp. The TD has that odd impedance that can mess with the best intended pedal setups. My Flashback X4 Delay seems to get along well with it but I'm looking at more analog options. Do you have an recommended pedal "dont's" in your experience? Ones that just didn't get along or just thrived with the TD? I'm pretty much a minimalist. Wah, Vibe/Phase, Echo Amp. I like some elements of 70s funk as well as rock. Been looking at a EHX Q Tron. Pretty much any pedal i go with is going to have to work well with the Tube Driver to make the cut. If you have a moment to share your experience.

jmp45

Reaction score
Thread's a few months ago. I am in complete agreement with your description of the Tube Driver. I hadn't been using my amps much when i got mine but lately I've been tuning it with my SV20H. It's very unique sounding and i feel like this is the missing link to the sound I've been chasing for a good while now. Ive played with many a boost over the years. Most are great but I prefer straight in. With the TD set right it's like straight in on steroids.

I see your pedal setup. I can tell you go for quality. I like that. Right now I'm running a delay after the TD and before the amp. The TD has that odd impedance that can mess with the best intended pedal setups. My Flashback X4 Delay seems to get along well with it but I'm looking at more analog options. Do you have an recommended pedal "dont's" in your experience? Ones that just didn't get along or just thrived with the TD? I'm pretty much a minimalist. Wah, Vibe/Phase, Echo Amp. I like some elements of 70s funk as well as rock. Been looking at a EHX Q Tron. Pretty much any pedal i go with is going to have to work well with the Tube Driver to make the cut. If you have a moment to share your experience.

Hey Biff, I've found the Tube Driver works with everything. Of all the drives I use it's my go to. With the loop switches I write patches to have the most minimal pedals in the chain. Other than the crybaby and vibe on the input are both true bypass before they go into the loop switches. After that, at the most 3 or 4 pedals in the signal path. I have an Echoplex EP-3 and a Battles prototype TubePlex. Hard to beat for analog delay but something that comes real close is the Catilinbread Belle Epoch. It's a staple on the board now as well as the Cat Echorec. I use the Epoch for dirt delay, Echorec for cleans. Else it goes to the rack for a w/d/w setup.

Epoch is not analog but I'd certainly consider it to give it a spin. Eric Johnson likes it enough to tour with it.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Hey Biff, I've found the Tube Driver works with everything. Of all the drives I use it's my go to. With the loop switches I write patches to have the most minimal pedals in the chain. Other than the crybaby and vibe on the input are both true bypass before they go into the loop switches. After that, at the most 3 or 4 pedals in the signal path. I have an Echoplex EP-3 and a Battles prototype TubePlex. Hard to beat for analog delay but something that comes real close is the Catilinbread Belle Epoch. It's a staple on the board now as well as the Cat Echorec. I use the Epoch for dirt delay, Echorec for cleans. Else it goes to the rack for a w/d/w setup.

Epoch is not analog but I'd certainly consider it to give it a spin. Eric Johnson likes it enough to tour with it.

It's very easy to make it sound bad. Treat it like most pedals and it may be a huge disappointment. It's a narrow sweet spot but when its right it's unlike anything boost wise I've tried. I find it so odd as many times i saw these back in the 80s i never once tried it. Maybe i did and did everything wrong being young.

I like your Joyo switcher. I used to have a Carl Martin Octa Switch. I do have a slight regret selling that one.

I had to look up the TubePlex. Hadn't seen that one. A have lusted for a TTE but have heard many say like you the Epoch is very close. It is in contention.

That's good to know about the TD not being as fussy as some have described. I guess I'm more paranoid about it than i should be. The first few times i ran through it back in February i thought it had fantastic potential but it also hummed. It is quiet now though. I don't remember what I did to create the noise. Probably got in a hurry and didn't power things up through my Furman.

Thanks for the info.

jmp45

Reaction score
It's very easy to make it sound bad. Treat it like most pedals and it may be a huge disappointment. It's a narrow sweet spot but when its right it's unlike anything boost wise I've tried. I find it so odd as many times i saw these back in the 80s i never once tried it. Maybe i did and did everything wrong being young.

I like your Joyo switcher. I used to have a Carl Martin Octa Switch. I do have a slight regret selling that one.

I had to look up the TubePlex. Hadn't seen that one. A have lusted for a TTE but have heard many say like you the Epoch is very close. It is in contention.

That's good to know about the TD not being as fussy as some have described. I guess I'm more paranoid about it than i should be. The first few times i ran through it back in February i thought it had fantastic potential but it also hummed. It is quiet now though. I don't remember what I did to create the noise. Probably got in a hurry and didn't power things up through my Furman.

Thanks for the info.

There were two versions of the TubePlex. Mike Battles the inventor of the Echoplex had a few prototypes and a limited run of the TubePlex. Mine I believe is one of the prototypes. It has features the EP-2 did not have one thing it will not do is runaway repeats like the Echoplex models. I still prefer the EP-3, but this version works just fine.

tubeplex.jpg

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
There were two versions of the TubePlex. Mike Battles the inventor of the Echoplex had a few prototypes and a limited run of the TubePlex. Mine I believe is one of the prototypes. It has features the EP-2 did not have one thing it will not do is runaway repeats like the Echoplex models. I still prefer the EP-3, but this version works just fine.

tubeplex.jpg

I read up on it. Those are great classic pieces of gear.

When i bought the SV20H it was competing against dumping the whole Studio idea including my 2525H and getting a JTM45. I don't regret the SV by no means but i can see this Tube Driver working for a wide range of volumes with that amp. I bet it eats up it's signal. It's not the same but i just ran the TD and delay through my 50th JTM1C. It has a Gold Alnico and a fresh set of Gold Lions. I've had that little amp for 9 years. It and the JMP1C are my favorites around the house. Play it a lot. This is the best sound I've gotten out of it. It's this pedal.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I've gotten around to swapping some tubes in this thing. Stock JJ 12ax7 was in it. I've thought it had excessive noise so i went with a Gold Lion 12ax7 first. These have been great at quieting hiss and ended up being a huge improvement there. Encouraged by that i swapped it for a Gold Lion 12au7. Pedal is pretty quiet now and i see why a 12au7 is a popular choice. Much more usuable gain range plus I'm not looking for a bunch of drive from it anyway. I'm going to leave this one in a while and get to know it. The controls seem like they act a little different also.

On one hand with the SV cranked I've struggled with the "seasoning" I've expected from it. Too much drive from the amp it's been tough to balance the Tube Driver. Maybe the 12au7 will give me more range. Where it has shined so far is with the SV up loud but fairly clean. At lower reasonable fooling around levels and set right it does a great job of feeling like I'm playing through a cranked amp though. I'm starting to wonder to take full advantage of it it needs a higher powered amp. I just tried a combination of my Stratocaster into a Throbak Fuzz Haze into the Tube Driver then Echoplex and Preamp pedals with the amp loud but clean. Just anticipating where knobs should be this all sounded good right away.

I really like what the Tube Driver does but have you guys came to a similar conclusion? Cleanish amp being preferred? There's always the Eric Johnson references with his use of cranked Plexis but a 20 watt amp isn't going to have near the headroom that does and I'm not trying to copy his rig anyway even though what I'm using is similar.

datavomit

Reaction score
i once had the rack mount variant over a decade ago... it didnt work right but i like the sound i got out of it for a guitar through my bass amp.. this was also when i was a strictly a bassist and messed around with a guitar... i wouldnt mind getting one again.. but i want to get the pedal that had its own power cord.. one day... i was tossing around the idea of trying to make one myself but im lazy since it would require me to source all the parts for it.. maybe one day..

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I'm still playing around with mine but I'm heavily leaning towards the TD needing more amp headroom than the SV can provide. But, I have ended up with that thought after many a boost pedal although i know plenty of players out there use drives with their SV. Pretty much straight in is the best tone for me. I do like the unique tone this TD gives though and i want to find a good combination with it. I'm actually contemplating a bigger amp. I'm old school. I miss the thump.

end user

Reaction score
Had a Tube Driver many years ago. Dont remember if I liked it but I do remember having the RT-2100 head and loved it. Was stolen from me when someone broke into my rehearsal studio years ago. Would love to run into one again. If I remember correctly that head HAD the Tube Driver circuit built into it.

Last edited: