Black fingers, new Les Paul.

• Thread starter giblesp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giblesp

Reaction score
So I'm getting black fingers off of my new Les Paul Classic.

Have had a new and near new Les Paul in the past, never experienced black fingers before.

From what I've read it's the dye on the fretboard. Quite hard to get completely off of fingers; my other Les Paul is white nitro so really don't want to stain it.

If it is dye, what's the solution? And why didn't my other Les Paul's do this? Cheaper wood? Cutting corners?

Advice much appreciated.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is dye, what's the solution?
Have you tried anything yet?
I'd suggest carefully wiping the fretboard with a rag and a little cleaning solvent like naphtha or mineral spirits.

giblesp

Reaction score
Conditioned and cleaned, with a microfiber cloth and Lemon oil. The cloth was a little black after.

Guitars been played for about 2-3 hours, first long play.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess would be that the lemon oil you used reacted with whatever dye/stain that was used at the factory.
What brand of lemon oil?
I've only used Music Nomad F1 and never had a problem - even with a NIB Studio that I got about 3 weeks after the production date.

giblesp

Reaction score

Safe for ebony fretboards, apparently...

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made me look at my fingers for a second, i have ebony fretboard Les Paul, ........

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Safe for ebony fretboards, apparently...
That looks fairly harmless.
Probably just excessive coloring at the factory.
Maybe just let the conditioner rest for a few days and see if it's still comes off on your fingers.
If so, then I'd try some solvent on a rag and re-apply the conditioner.
Just be cautious around the nitro on the back of the neck.

V-man

Reaction score
I am confused AF regarding this being a Classic (non-ebony) and the idea there is a dye issue with the fretboard.

If it is not ebony (I am unaware of classics w this FB) this should have nothing to do with dye. Gibson gives no fucks about sending out guitars with rosewood and other brown species that have disgustingly-pale “graham cracker“ hues to their FBs, so dye should not be the issue.

I have also personally dyed a rosewood FB with Kiwi leather dye. While it could wear away with fretboard oil and elbow grease, it never rubbed off and stained my fingers while playing.

All of this points to reactivity to the strings. I have had black stains from strings before, usually the reaction w sweat and newer string giving off a faint “garlic” smell.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is why is there dye?
shity!
Raw rosewood, and even ebony, can vary in darkness and between the different grain layers.
No way they could ever get a consistent dark shade across all the fretboards they make.
Stain or dye is undoubtedly used to some degree.

V-man

Reaction score
Stain or dye is undoubtedly used to some degree.

You say undoubtedly, but the shitty streaky pale boards I have seen make me question that entirely.

… and that makes 2 of us with Mickey and I regarding dye.

giblesp

Reaction score
Never had this on other Paul's, neither from strings.

Hard to completely get it off fingers, and don't want to pick up my other White Les Pau and stain the nitro.

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never had either stain my fingers.
Me either.
And I've stained fretboards on some of my home builds without ever having them bleed color when playing.

You say undoubtedly, but the shitty streaky pale boards I have seen make me question that entirely.

… and that makes 2 of us with Mickey and I regarding dye.
I've also seen pale fretboards that have obviously not been colored, but I've also seen fretboards that could not possibly be as consistently dark as they are from just raw wood.

V-man

Reaction score
Me either.
And I've stained fretboards on some of my home builds without ever having them bleed color when playing.

I've also seen pale fretboards that have obviously not been colored, but I've also seen fretboards that could not possibly be as consistently dark as they are from just raw wood.

Sidestepping round 3 of seeing what Gibson releases in terms of light uneven FBs (amidst darker ones too) as opposed to other companies possibly spending more time on FB dress… have you personally ever dealt with a rosewood (brown) dye staining your fingers or known anyone who has?

giblesp

Reaction score
I used a fair amount of Gibson polish on the guitar last night, some may have got on the strings.

Didn't bother take the strings off, when cleaning the fretboard. Just loosened the strings and cleaned between them.

Don't know if the above caused a reaction with the strings, or something.

As said, the cloth I used on the fretboard came away slightly black.

I'm no expert, but the fretboard feels like quality as far as I can tell. Nothing inferior about it, compared to my other Les Paul.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I have to ask, does this apply?

"With deep spray-on tans and creamy, lotion-y hands
You can't grip a tackle box"

I mean what else will get a guy's hands black but engine or axle grease?

You have to be using some weird concoction.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you personally ever dealt with a rosewood (brown) dye staining your fingers or known anyone who has?
Nope, just guessing at possibilities based on a lifetime of woodworking experience.
Never even heard of fretboards bleeding color when played, have you?
Also never had garlic strings stain my fingers either, so I bow to your expertise on this matter.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I say completely remove the strings, wipe the board and frets down again really good with a dry cloth and restring with new strings of your choice and see how it goes from there. So far it sounds like you only half assed it. I've had new guitars with factory strings turn my fingers charcoal grey/black and had to use alcohol to get it off. Very well could just be the strings and or frets. :)

Latest posts