East TN and Western NC devastated.

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of what's going on in the Appalachians? I don't know if they're talking about it anywhere. No one I know in Florida (or anywhere) has tried to contact me to see if I'm ok so I assume they don't know what's happened here. After the Hurricane made landfall in Florida Thursday night it made a beeline straight up to TN. The center eye parked right over Knoxville and to the east the mountains in TN and NC got hammered with rain from the stronger side of the system. It had already been raining steady and non-stop since Tuesday afternoon and then the storm came. The rain totals broke every record ever recorded. We got more than a years worth of rain in 3 days. Across the border in NC they got over 30".

Almost very road is washed out in the mountains. Streams, creeks, rivers all flooded and washed out everything in their path. Dams over flowed. There are entire towns completely washed away. There are still places with no power, no cell service and no way to get to some of these towns. There are still hundreds of people missing and trapped with no way in or out and no way to contact anyone. They have no way of getting supplies, gas, food and water and no one knows when they will.

I got lucky where I live, we didn't even lose power, but just a few miles in any direction and it's destruction. There are literally no roads open across the TN/NC border, interstates and all major highways are all closed because of washouts, bridge collapses, mud slides and who knows what. I know it was bad in FL and GA along the path, but it was much worse up here and we are only just now starting to see just how bad it is.

Are you guys hearing/seeing anything about this?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you guys hearing/seeing anything about this?
Glad to hear you were spared from any personal damage.
The news I watch and read is full of stories about all the places hit by the storm as it moved inland.
The amount of destruction is amazing.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have paid close attention. We have family and friends in Tallahassee, in NC and eastern half of TN. It's cataclysmic. Entire towns wiped out. Landslides. Bridges gone. Highways washed away.

I did not know your location. You are in Western NC or far Eastern TN? I hope you and yours are all safe and sound.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have paid close attention. We have family and friends in Tallahassee, in NC and eastern half of TN. It's cataclysmic. Entire towns wiped out. Landslides. Bridges gone. Highways washed away.

I did not know your location. You are in Western NC or far Eastern TN? I hope you and yours are all safe and sound.
I'm in the tri-cities area of north east TN. Right at halfway between Johnson City and Kingsport.

3qtClGC.png

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been checking in on it. North Carolina is a second home to me. I'm in central Virginia. Asheville is one of my favorite places to go. What's going down is heart breaking.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been checking in on it. North Carolina is a second home to me. I'm in central Virginia. Asheville is one of my favorite places to go. What's going down is heart breaking.

There are certain places up here that I've known all my life, places where we took family vacations when I was a kid that are along a river or stream that have just always been here and are almost sacred to me and now they're probably gone. It's hard to comprehend.

jmp45

Reaction score
Glad you are ok Steve. What a catastrophe with little to no help coming from DC. Way more devastating than Katrina. Thousands are missing or dead from reports I've seen.

Best top of your tanks guys.