Bluesbreaker reissues??

• Thread starter Guitarman1996
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarman1996

Reaction score
Need some help from some experts in the Marshall world... Owning the SV20h has kinda opened my eyes to the world Marshall (don't judge, Fender fanboy here) and it's capabilities. Then a friend of mine started sending me videos of a JTM45 head he picked up and I realized I'm jonesing for that tone as my base tone and will be running various OD's to get the tones I need.

Having looking for a combo I was led to the Bluesbreaker and now some confusion.... Did they release different PCB versions? I know about the 1962 model but I also keep seeing a 50w version?? The "model" of some of these amps confuse me at this point (example: I at first thought the JTM45 was a 45w amp because of the model name) and I keep seeing a JTM50 but no one mentions that in the same name as Bluesbreaker.... I've got a line on a "Bluesbreaker" but it's labeled at 50w.... So I'm really trying to find out if it's really want I want or not.

Ultimately I may just end up going for a JTM45 but if the price is right I'd go for a Bluesbreaker as long as it's a JTM45 in combo format.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
JTM45’s are really around 30 watts or so but they are frequently labeled as being 45 in stores. The model numbers usually have little to do with the wattage. The exception may be the JTM50.

Guitarman1996

Reaction score
JTM45’s are really around 30 watts or so but they are frequently labeled as being 45 in stores. The model numbers usually have little to do with the wattage. The exception may be the JTM50.
yeah I was schooled a friend of mine about that which was great cause I want a 30w amp.

neikeel

Reaction score
The first BBs were basically a JTM45 trem in a 2x12. KT66 ouput tubes and a GZ34 rectifier with 8k OT and 450v anode voltage. As with other Marshalls in late 60s they went to 50w designation with EL34s and after a while dropped the GZ34 (my 68 is EL34s and GZ34) I've not scoped it or measured output (maybe I should?) but it is 420v anodes and 3.4k OT so well over 50w before clipping.
The reissues had a 50w label but came with 5881s and (I believe a GZ34) with 400v HT and 8k OT so about 30w.
The latest HW uses KT66 and GZ34, and an 8k OT but I do not know which PT they are using (anyone got an HW to measure the HT voltage on pin 3??). That will probably give you around 30-35w.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
A JTM45 in a combo shell, open backed, with a pair of 16 ohm Greenbacks, is a Bluesbreaker. It's really a 30 watt amp and has a tube GZ34 rectifier.

Marshall wants an arm and a leg for a Bluesbreaker reissue. You can get essentially the same thing with a JTM45 reissue head and a 2x12 cabinet with a partially open back,
for a lot less money. (I'm not a big fan of combo amps anyway. )

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
yeah I was schooled a friend of mine about that which was great cause I want a 30w amp.
I’m with you on the 30 watts. I’m hoping it’s the sweet spot. I think that the SV20 will not be loud enough with a hard hitting drummer. I used to use the 50 watt 1987x for years with a band in rehearsal halls but one of our singers complained about the volume. Had to move to 2203 and 2204’s especially when we started giggling as overall volume is easier to control. But I love the Plexi sound. Just built a BB head and the volume seems to be more manageable. I’m hoping that I can use it in rehearsal rooms when COVID runs it’s course.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
A JTM45 can get pretty darned loud. I know, I have one. (First Marshall reissue model, late 90s.) I think it'll keep up with most drummers. I'd hesitate to say that mine sounds like a Plexi. Honestly it sounds like an early Fender Bassman plugged into a Marshall 4x12 full of Greenbacks....and that's pretty much exactly what it is. The JTM45 was almost a straight copy of the Bassman circuit.

A 30 watt amp is only going to be about 4 dB quieter than a 100 watt amp. It's not a huge difference in volume.

dro

Reaction score
Have used a JTM 45 since about 2000. Tried a Bluesbreaker for awhile. The biggest downside I see to the Bluesbreaker is the weight. Things weigh a ton. Had mine less than a year. But still have the 45.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
A JTM45 can get pretty darned loud. I know, I have one. (First Marshall reissue model, late 90s.) I think it'll keep up with most drummers. I'd hesitate to say that mine sounds like a Plexi. Honestly it sounds like an early Fender Bassman plugged into a Marshall 4x12 full of Greenbacks....and that's pretty much exactly what it is. The JTM45 was almost a straight copy of the Bassman circuit.

A 30 watt amp is only going to be about 4 dB quieter than a 100 watt amp. It's not a huge difference in volume.
Loud, yes, but this is rock and roll. I recently played my BB and 1987x side by side and the sound and feel was comparable. And, yes, they do have a Fender feel to them but the bottom is tighter than my tweed clones. They feel and sound like the middle ground between tweeds and 2204’s to me.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, some lose sight of the relationship between watts and volumes. A 100 watt amp is only about 3db louder than a 50 watt amp, barely noticeable.

If I was the op I’d avoid the Bluesbreakers, too expensive and too heavy. I’d look for a nice Jtm45 and a cab.

Guitarman1996

Reaction score
I’m with you on the 30 watts. I’m hoping it’s the sweet spot. I think that the SV20 will not be loud enough with a hard hitting drummer. I used to use the 50 watt 1987x for years with a band in rehearsal halls but one of our singers complained about the volume. Had to move to 2203 and 2204’s especially when we started giggling as overall volume is easier to control. But I love the Plexi sound. Just built a BB head and the volume seems to be more manageable. I’m hoping that I can use it in rehearsal rooms when COVID runs it’s course.

You pretty much said it. I love the SV but with 2 different bands I’ve tried I can’t get it loud enough to be clean and compete with a overly loud band. 30w does seem to the sweet spot I think. At least I hope.

Guitarman1996

Reaction score
If I was the op I’d avoid the Bluesbreakers, too expensive and too heavy. I’d look for a nice Jtm45 and a cab.

The price may be to good for me to pass up. However if it comes down to it I would go for the JTM45 and a cab.

EndGame00

Reaction score
20-watt amp wide in the open with a relatively wild drummer is more than enough... you’ll going to need a more efficient speakers that will cut through.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
My Ceriatone build uses a 100pf cap there
A personal preference, of course. My reissue, in stock form, was way to bass heavy for my taste. It's now closer in tone to my 1959 SLP, only in a more volume-friendly form.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 BB re-issue. It's just a JTM45 with added tremolo in a full cab width 2 x 12. It's basically a head bolted to the back panel of the combo cab, so if you wish, you could always get a headbox built to drop the chassis in and keep the combo box as a 2 x 12 cab.
The orientation of the print on the chassis is correct for putting in a headbox.
I've put some casters on mine because, as some others have said, the combo is not to be confused with light. Sounds fantastic though. 5881's (military spec 6L6's) and GZ34 rec.

Latest posts