1966 JTM45 - Dad's Gear RIP

• Thread starter tboone12
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neikeel

Reaction score
I agree most of the work looks very recent from the caps used.
Quite a few people have used Merc Mag OTs as alleged upgrades in Reissue JTMs but that, at least in my experience, was far from ideal. The original will be best for value and performance. Merren is next best although I have had a very pleasant surprise with a Dagnall D2505 in a vintage amp (to my ears perfect). I have the original OT to rewind but no plans to swap.

Ned B

Reaction score
Hello tboone12,

It is a head chassis, only 4 screws to hold the chassis on the cabinet, the chassis for combo have 6 screws.

At that time the tremolo was optional, so i guess that the faceplate of the combo was used for the tremolo head.
No. In this period the only difference in the chassis is where the 4 mounting holes were drilled. For the head it was the 4 holes in the chassis flaps whereas the combo mounting was accomplished with 2 holes in each side wall of the chassis and no holes in the flaps.

TAZIN

Reaction score
No. In this period the only difference in the chassis is where the 4 mounting holes were drilled. For the head it was the 4 holes in the chassis flaps whereas the combo mounting was accomplished with 2 holes in each side wall of the chassis and no holes in the flaps.
I thought the combo chassis also had two mounting holes in the front flange during this time frame?

Last edited:

Creach

Reaction score
Screenshot_20230612_082355.jpg

Ok, in 66 only 4 screws, but still tboone12 have a head chassis.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I have no knowledge of the amps but wanted to join in on that fabulous picture of your Dad! What a thing to possess!

Yes indeed, I agree! :D So many aspects of that pic shows that he obviously loved being a guitar player! And @tboone12, so sad for your loss! As cool as the discussion of this amp is, it would be wonderful to hear more about your Dad!
Simply Respectin'
Gene

London John

Reaction score
View attachment 131811

Ok, in 66 only 4 screws, but still tboone12 have a head chassis.

Four chassis to cab screws, and two back panel to chassis screws.....standard in BB's other than the first few V1's without side blocks....through until the chassis was attached to the upper back panel.

This isn't 1966. Late '67 at the earliest by the driver stickers. Strong suspicions on originality too.......

Clanger1

Reaction score
It’s clearly always been a head unit, from mounting style to Bulgin lead etc. Looks to have had a lot of circuit board work. All tremolo’s are in the 7nnn series regardless of whether combo or head unit…until the new serial number system came in.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Four chassis to cab screws, and two back panel to chassis screws.....standard in BB's other than the first few V1's without side blocks....through until the chassis was attached to the upper back panel.

This isn't 1966. Late '67 at the earliest by the driver stickers. Strong suspicions on originality too.......

It appears that you may have looked at that post by @Creach and replied without first reading the thread. That was a pic of a different amp than the one owned by the OP @tboone12 , as a comparative example! @Clanger1 sets the record straight!
Simply Noticin'
Gene

Central Scrutinizer

Misanthropic Humanitarian
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great picture of your dad rocking out.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

You are connected with some very knowledgeable folks here.

racerxrated2

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss...we lost both parents in '13, 6 months apart. Tough then, still tough now. This is the place though, to help you with value...good luck!

Latest posts