New SV20H Day!

• Thread starter Fernieite
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dilver

Reaction score
What you folks said pretty much nails and echos my sentiments exactly! While I've been just barely (and carefully) getting away with no attenuator through my 1965B cabinet, tonite I was just going over a few parts (quietly) with our new drummer (without the bass player) and instead of plugging in the attenuator, I simply turned the guitar volume (on a single coil Strat no less) way down and was amazed at the tones and response! Truly one of the more stellar amps I've ever used, in +55 years of Screechin' & Squawkin' with guitars through tube amps! There be magic in these SV20 amps!
Simply Lovin'
Gene
Glad you’re getting as much enjoyment out of it as I am. If you’ve come this far, you might want to try some different tubes - don’t get me wrong; the stock tubes are fine. But I usually retube most of my amps and do notice a difference. My preference are old RCA 12AX7s, but there are lots of options, depends on what you like. After, trying a few in different positions, I ended up with an RCA long black plate in V1 and short grey plates in V2 AND V3. I left the stock power tubes as I didn’t have any good EL34 on hand, and people seem to say good things about the JJ EL34s. The difference I heard in the V1 tube was that it sounded what I can only describe as more “lush” - less brittle, smoother breakup, richer.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Glad you’re getting as much enjoyment out of it as I am. If you’ve come this far, you might want to try some different tubes - don’t get me wrong; the stock tubes are fine. But I usually retube most of my amps and do notice a difference. My preference are old RCA 12AX7s, but there are lots of options, depends on what you like. After, trying a few in different positions, I ended up with an RCA long black plate in V1 and short grey plates in V2 AND V3. I left the stock power tubes as I didn’t have any good EL34 on hand, and people seem to say good things about the JJ EL34s. The difference I heard in the V1 tube was that it sounded what I can only describe as more “lush” - less brittle, smoother breakup, richer.
I will ilkely try rolling some tubes when I finally get a
5 - Round Tuits - Get A Round Tuit - Guard it With Your Life Plus one BONUS  Token.
!:p

I do suspect however that smoothing out that "brittleness" may somewhat compromise tha amps ability to "cut through" a mix at such low volume levels? While I do have a fairly wide variety of 12AX7/ECC83 tubes on hand, none are necessarily "highly revered" and I really don't want to go down that rabbit hole of chasing esoteric, high priced, NOS tubes! I do plan to roll through my stash to find a couple/few units that will keep the amp sounding as close as possible to how it already does (or even a possible improvement), in the inevitable eventuality of a tube failure!

It's kinda interesting that like most times and comparisons, the amp may sound a bit harsh and maybe even a tiny bit lacking in the bottom end, when playing by myself. Then in a full band setting, that harshness perfectly cuts through and the low end gets filled in by the bass and kick drum! I really couldn't ask for a much more perfect amp!

Simply Screechin' & Squawkin'
Gene

colchar

Reaction score
Congrats on the new amp!

I'm curious as to what you paid for it, only because I currently have an absolutely mint used one on loan from my local L&M. They are selling it for $1299, and I just have to accept that I am buying the thing!

tallcoolone

Reaction score
It's kinda interesting that like most times and comparisons, the amp may sound a bit harsh and maybe even a tiny bit lacking in the bottom end, when playing by myself. Then in a full band setting, that harshness perfectly cuts through and the low end gets filled in by the bass and kick drum!
Yup, that’s how it works :yesway:

Seven

Reaction score
Man! That looks amazing on those 1965 cabs! Congrats!

This is exactly the set up I want for my SV20, let us know how it sounds cranked up!
The SV20h will knock your socks off so hang on to your hat. Those cabs look great. I have several heads from that era that fit those medium cabinets. I'm not sure what the 4X10's sound like, but I'm sure they will crunch just fine.

Wear some hearing protection. Seriously, wear some hearing protection.

Seven

Reaction score
Wonder how hard/easy it would be to wire in a PPIMV, to tame the volume for home use? Even 5 watts is LOUD when you have no master volume!
There are MV mods available, but if you like the amp but prefer a master volume, I would just get the SC20h or the Jubilee. All three amps have similarities with the SV20h having less gain and more in your face Plexi tones. The SC is very 800ish and the Jubilee is more modern and slightly darker. A decent attenuator is probably a better alternative to modifying this nice amp. Once modified, you can't really go back.

Having all three Studio Series Heads would be nice too !

Silverdome

Reaction score
These amps have come down in price a bit and have really caught my eye. I have a nice clone, but the thought of getting one of these with the Marshall name is on my mind.