Bob Marley...

• Thread starter stock_hippie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gianni

Reaction score
Just bumping. ;)

BobMarley2.jpg

CRobbins

Reaction score
I played in a reggae band for years. At first I used a Twin, then I got a Mesa Boogie MK IV. The Mesa was nice because I had clean, crunch, and overdrive all in one amp, no pedals needed besides a wah wah.

There 3 types of rhythms you can play.

1. Straight skank on 2, and 4.
2. A quick 1 and, on 2, and 4.
3. A fast triplet 1 e and. Think of a word like icewater, or flyswatter.
Quite often you hear a clavinet, or organ playing this bubble sound.
But you can do it on guitar with a wah wah pedal.

Another thing you can do is shadow the bass line. Sync up with the bass player, and play the bass line.

ricksteruk

Reaction score
I love a bit of reggae - I saw The Wailers with Aston Barrett (the original bass player) at Solfest a couple of years ago.. that man is just the king of reggae baselines.

keennay

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste $500+ just to play Bob Marley.

A Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 will get you there.

ianbourg

Reaction score
Bumping for interest.

I also want to know how to get that great "...chicka...chicka...chicka...chicka" reggae sound. Making clavinet sounds would be cool as hell to do as well.

Gianni

Reaction score
Bumping for interest.

I also want to know how to get that great "...chicka...chicka...chicka...chicka" reggae sound. Making clavinet sounds would be cool as hell to do as well.

There’s quite a bit of info on this already in this thread, but unfortunately no answer yet to Stock_Hippie’s question:

"What Marshall amp would give a Bob Marley sound/tone?”

Reggae2.jpg

stock_hippie

Reaction score
i don't know why i care...i mean..well i have to write a song for my friend who's friends with Joe B..and my friend has been making this hot sauce called Darbys Hot Sauce...so we were thinking i could record the song...whioch i haven't written yet..and get it on the radio...an then get Joe Bonamassa to like it..but I'm not sure how to write a song about a 'hot sauce' and not makee it sound like a commercial...which would turn the radio off.but maybe it could be sort of Reggae..