• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

BOSS Pedals - Mods, Info and More

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people don't like BOSS pedals, but then again there are lots who do.

Personally I am addicted to collecting them, as well as modifying them when I can.

Lets see and hear about what you've got, what you have done with them, how you use them and how you mod them. We can share info here, and even post schematics and sound clips. If it gets big enough I can create an index here to help sort out all the different pedals.

BOSS pedals only please!

An interesting link I found is a directory to many schematics.
HERE is the link to the BOSS schematics: http://bee.mif.pg.gda.pl/ciasteczkowypotwor/#SM_scena/Boss/

INDEX to the highlights of this thread:

Last edited:

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I LOVE BOSS pedals. They are the only ones I've ever used. The only ones I'd use before them are the old Ibanez pedals - they are just too cool to deny. Also, their Super Phaser let me down so I had to go with the one pictured - probably the best phaser I've ever known. These were all BOSS not too long ago but the survivor of the bunch was the WAZA Delay (analog! :)):

7L5HaBh.png

Kutt

Reaction score
I've got over 20 BOSS pedals, however I am not a modder. My early 90s CH-1 might sound the best and I love the DD-7 as well, specifically the DM-2 Analog emulator mode. Just yesterday I snagged a demo unit OD-3 and it's fantastic.

I understand one thousand percent why you would collect them. They are addictive. Dude on YouTube has a very large collection as you may have seen. It's a sea of beautiful BOSSness. Bring tears of joy to my eyes.

I've also got "The BOSS Book" which is fetching big money on Amazon's used market. A very fun read with all sorts of tidbits and details.

Last edited:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
An Sd-1 would have to be the No1 modded Boss. Here's a thread about mine, with some circuit analysis and mods:

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/boss-sd-1.86554/
I am also a big fan of the SD-1, as a matter of fact I love ALL the BOSS Overdrives. One of mine is stock, and another has just a few component mods. I can post photos of it later.
Here are a couple schematics for the SD-1 that I found online. Anyone got any different schematics, possibly the Service Notes for this pedal?

Attachments

• Boss_SD-1_Super_Overdrive_Schematic.pdf
    521.9 KB · Views: 5
  • boss sd-1_super_overdrive_sch.pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 4

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two of these. Some find them a useless pedal but in the right situation it adds some top air on a tone.

iu
The Enhancer is incredibly rare. The schematic is even harder to find:

Attachments

• Boss EH-2 schem.png
    Boss EH-2 schem.png
    207.3 KB · Views: 6

Gutch220

Reaction score
does anybody know if you can buy empty/plain Boss enclosures, or does Boss have proprietary rights to that style?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
does anybody know if you can buy empty/plain Boss enclosures, or does Boss have proprietary rights to that style?
I am finding it difficult to get the enclosures. The only way I have been able to get them is to get broken pedals and use those. I don't think there is any patent or anything, as Ibanez and a couple other brands have similar enclosures. That is one of the things that drew me to BOSS pedals, they are pretty much indestructible.

One neat thing I have done is to take a BOSS enclosure, and build a Big Muff clone into it. I'll post pix when it is done. So far it is turning out pretty cool.

Gutch220

Reaction score
I am finding it difficult to get the enclosures. The only way I have been able to get them is to get broken pedals and use those. I don't think there is any patent or anything, as Ibanez and a couple other brands have similar enclosures. That is one of the things that drew me to BOSS pedals, they are pretty much indestructible.

One neat thing I have done is to take a BOSS enclosure, and build a Big Muff clone into it. I'll post pix when it is done. So far it is turning out pretty cool.
yea, I think Boss has the best "style" of button. It's very large, like an old Univox Super-Fuzz

dragonvalve

Reaction score

There's something similar called Rixen you can get in a kit including a PCB that fits. But getting actual Boss pedal enclosures you may need to do some wheeling dealing with the factory in Taiwan if that's even possible.

I read of some muso who wanted the Boss pedal for the foot switch and had many Boss pedals gutted just to use the switch at his board while the boxes controlled electronics in some rack on stage somewhere.

If Boss' proprietary enclosures were not, you would see them everywhere including China.

Rixen makes (made?) these enclosure kits.

rixen-pedal-enclosures.jpg

2016-08-27T01%3A41%3A47.627Z-kit%20image..jpeg

Allegedly made in NZ, but who knows if the guy making them is still active...:hmm:

Last edited:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
DigiTech makes some pedals using the BOSS style enclosure, I have a DigiTech Main Squeeze Compression/Sustainer:

5ENK9R0SUXLL8L5AVHKMCD11ECCC94AE.jpg

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Lots of BOSS, but no mods (yet).
I started with a BD-2 but sold it on after getting the OD-20. Couldn't tell the difference.
With the MT-2 I can, so it stays.
The LS-2 bypasses the preamp in the MT-2>NS-2 loop.
The NS-2 is screwy though. Volume loss when engaged and the in-built loop is terrible. Probably just my one though (2nd hand).
Next up will be an RC-3 for the gap.

20200415_182657-1600.jpg

Gutch220

Reaction score
I can't believe this style isn't available to buy, either Boss or Digitech.