Boss SD-1 vs RAT ( clean boosting ) What's your take Marshall fam?

• Thread starter Neptical
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JSJ900

Reaction score
You mean the cheap one that was a GC special? It came in green with white text or white with green text (I got the white one). They sound pretty similar to me.

It may have been my settings (level 10, drive 0, tone 4-6.

Maybe it’s ‘cause I’m getting old and loosing my hearing!

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
You mean the cheap one that was a GC special? It came in green with white text or white with green text (I got the white one). They sound pretty similar to me.

It may have been my settings (level 10, drive 0, tone 4-6.

Maybe it’s ‘cause I’m getting old and loosing my hearing!
Yes that one. I have a green one and just recently picked up a white one. When I got my first one I put an external switch it to switch between the 2 modes, but I only use it in one position. I don't know which mode it's in, M-66 or ZW. You can still get them cheap. I got my second one unused for $30.

JSJ900

Reaction score
The one guy at my local GC that has been there forever and seems to know his stuff was telling me about the JHS Bonsai. He wasn’t even trying to sell me on it and didn’t even have one there. It seems pretty cool (also the JHS RatPack).

Pretty cool to have 9 modes each I’ve heard they build quality pedals. I’m just not aching to spend $250 on a pedal, especially an OD.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
The one guy at my local GC that has been there forever and seems to know his stuff was telling me about the JHS Bonsai. He wasn’t even trying to sell me on it and didn’t even have one there. It seems pretty cool (also the JHS RatPack).

Pretty cool to have 9 modes each I’ve heard they build quality pedals. I’m just not aching to spend $250 on a pedal, especially an OD.
Rats are simple and dont need to be expensive,
I bought this one recently, it does the job.

gkelm

Reaction score
I’ve loved Rats over the years and pull them out on and off…and most recently. I’ve set them low gain before, but haven’t tried as a cleanish boost into a dirty amp, but will now!

KingsXJJ

Reaction score
I use a Plumes pedal in to my JCM and it adds some sweet bottom without flabbiness or wooliness compared to the SD-1 and sounds absolutely great. It completely surprised how well it worked. It’s my go to boost clean or dirty in to my Marshalls.

Try one if you can!

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Like Trower, I prefer fulltone. I have the V2, and set one mode for a slightly gritty clean boost, but the gain can go all the way down for a more pure clean thang. Also and Xotic sp compressor, great for clean and lighter breakup channels. Or just the old Univibe on a slow setting. Just the thing for Hendrix cleans.

4amps0sense

Reaction score
They say the Turbo Rat was built to overdrive a JCM 800 more than a Rat and I'm wondering if the Turbo can do anything Rat>SD-1 can't. Don't want to spend the money if not.

Last edited: