Bright cap mod on 2555X, where is the cap even located?!

• Thread starter explorickenbacker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
a shelf on how deep the lows go. I guess I just feel like this amp is capable of more bass extension than it is putting out at stock.
Wow. OK.
My original 1987 2258 combo can almost run like a bass amp, to me.
Low frequencies is something it should not lack.
I would honestly look at room placement, speakers, etc. With a Graphic EQ? It should be smashing.
It has more low end than any other Marshall I have, perhaps the amps with a resonance control would be more to your liking? Not sure why an EQ doesn't do it.
traditionally the bright cap keeps the high end when gain is rolled off.
Will this get you more low end? Not really.

Reaction score
I agree that jubilee's are darker amp's with a good amount of bass, but there's a brightness to the amp that I feel clouds the low end. I should have phrased myself better, I'm trying to get rid of the upper range sizzle to clear up the low end.
I love the way the amp opens up with the gain on full but just don't need that much gain, so I'm hoping by getting rid of the bright cap it will allow the amp to stay open without as much gain.
I don't really need all the gain the jubilee has on tap, considering I get my gain blasting the front end with a clean boost into a tube-screamer.
Either way I'm gonna find out, I'm gonna desolder the cap now.

Edit: Removed the bright cap, the amp lost all it's life and the bass end didn't change at all, it might be worth trying another value cap though as the current cap value feels a little extreme for me

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I agree that jubilee's are darker amp's with a good amount of bass, but there's a brightness to the amp that I feel clouds the low end. I should have phrased myself better, I'm trying to get rid of the upper range sizzle to clear up the low end.
I love the way the amp opens up with the gain on full but just don't need that much gain, so I'm hoping by getting rid of the bright cap it will allow the amp to stay open without as much gain.
I don't really need all the gain the jubilee has on tap, considering I get my gain blasting the front end with a clean boost into a tube-screamer.
Either way I'm gonna find out, I'm gonna desolder the cap now.

Edit: Removed the bright cap, the amp lost all it's life and the bass end didn't change at all, it might be worth trying another value cap though as the current cap value feels a little extreme for me
Will that sizzle not diminish with lower presence?
Is the EQ used in loop?
Lead channel?
Perhaps the TS up front is part of the sizzle. I have never liked ODs with just a tone control they either sound thin or dull. Jube doesn't really need one but to each their own, of course.
What speakers?
I gotta say, high end sizzle is not really a consideration on either of my Jubilees unless I deliberately set it so.
Lack of lows never a problem, it isn't a bass amp after all.

Kuga

Reaction score
Using a 1960AHW and treble booster It sound awesome. These are the mods you need IMHO.

Reaction score
So my conclusion is that that maybe the jubilee isn't the dream modern metal amp I had in my head, go figure. That being said, I've actually kept the bright cap off the amp, it gives the amp a real 60's character, but with buckets of gain (unusable at high levels unfortunately). I reckon it'll be a great amp for grungier tones, it also sounds amazing for slow blues now, with just a smidgen more dynamics. I'm using the matching V30 B cab by the way, amazing sounding speakers to my ears. I still think this amp doesn't have the low mid/bass extension needed for heavy chug chug metal, it just doesn't have the "balls". I might keep the amp, but honestly, I don't like the idea of owning 2 tube amps, which I'd need as I need a metal head. I reckon the clean channel with the bright cap clipped would sound insane with some heavy delay and reverb, it's an extremely clean pedal platform now.

Kuga

Reaction score
So my conclusion is that that maybe the jubilee isn't the dream modern metal amp I had in my head, go figure. That being said, I've actually kept the bright cap off the amp, it gives the amp a real 60's character, but with buckets of gain (unusable at high levels unfortunately). I reckon it'll be a great amp for grungier tones, it also sounds amazing for slow blues now, with just a smidgen more dynamics. I'm using the matching V30 B cab by the way, amazing sounding speakers to my ears. I still think this amp doesn't have the low mid/bass extension needed for heavy chug chug metal, it just doesn't have the "balls". I might keep the amp, but honestly, I don't like the idea of owning 2 tube amps, which I'd need as I need a metal head. I reckon the clean channel with the bright cap clipped would sound insane with some heavy delay and reverb, it's an extremely clean pedal platform now.
Just my opinion. I think It needs this bright cap. You are playing with a bass amp without this cap. Enjoy your Jubilee.