Bugera 1960 Infinium chirping noise

• Thread starter Havoc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Havoc

Reaction score
I have a Bugera 1960 Infinium that I’ve been using with an OCD pedal for a clean boost.

The EL34’s have been replaced by 6L6’s, and I’m only running 2 of them along with the ppimv to tame the volume.

Recently it’s developed a low chirping noise, any ideas on what might be causing this?

PelliX

Reaction score
The EL34’s have been replaced by 6L6’s, and I’m only running 2 of them along with the ppimv to tame the volume.

I presume the necessary changes have been made to the bias/circuit?

Recently it’s developed a low chirping noise, any ideas on what might be causing this?

I think we need a recording of this - I love the description!

What have you tried so far?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Infinium models bias themselves. You can put in 4 different power tubes as long as pins fit.

I've never used just 2 power tubes. You want to knock some volume off throw in 6V6's.

I prefer an attenuator over the built in PPIMV. I also would like to hear an example of the chirping noise. I haven't had a microphonic tube chirp yet but maybe one can?

Havoc

Reaction score
Infinium models bias themselves. You can put in 4 different power tubes as long as pins fit.

I've never used just 2 power tubes. You want to knock some volume off throw in 6V6's.

I prefer an attenuator over the built in PPIMV. I also would like to hear an example of the chirping noise. I haven't had a microphonic tube chirp yet but maybe one can?

I will get a recording of it tomorrow.
With the 2 6L6’s the ppimv worked and sounded great.

Ive only tried messing with the channels and the settings.

RLW59

Reaction score
Cell phones in your pocket, a pacemaker in your chest, or close-by wifi routers can emit RF signals that get picked up by your guitar's pickups. (Digital watches too, if anyone still wears those.)

They can be chirps, clicks, beeps.

Chirping isn't something most amps can do on their own, so my first thought is an external source like those I mentioned.

Torren61

Reaction score
That's a 150 watt head!

"They added a no- compromise post- phase- inverter master volume that can be bypassed for direct signal path and a huge output transformer with specially nested windings for increased dynamic response and clarity."

I think you're right. It's a bird.

Dude (or Dudette), I'm teasing you. You have a 150 watt head that sells for $649 brand new. You surely did not buy this for bedroom playing. 150 watts is for LARGE venue playing. I mean, if you wanted a cool tube head for jamming at home, you should have bought something with MUCH lower wattage. A LOUD home amp would be 15 watts max and that's if you have your own dedicated space in the basement or something.

That amp is not made to be dependable. I know very little about them but I'm guessing it has a PCB board with everything mounted to it. If pretty much ANYTHING goes wrong, like a potentiometer, you almost HAVE to throw it away because the repair bill is going to cost nearly as much as a new amp unless you can repair it yourself and I would bet a large sum of money that you don't have the skills required to work on this amp.

Here's my unsolicited advice: Put those two tubes back in the amp. Does it still make that chirping noise? No? Way cool. SELL IT. Now, take that money and scour your local and nearby CL for an early 70s Fender Champ. You'll have to add some money. It'll probably take about $600 or maybe more but you will have a MUCH more dependable, usable and enjoyable amp. It'll probably sound way better and if something goes wrong, any amp tech can fix it for a reasonable price.

Oh yeah, I meant to add... that Champ is point-to-point, hand wired. It's one of the simplest tube amp circuits out there. They sound amazing. You can put any pedals in front of them and they will sound killer.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a 150 watt head!

"They added a no- compromise post- phase- inverter master volume that can be bypassed for direct signal path and a huge output transformer with specially nested windings for increased dynamic response and clarity."

I think you're right. It's a bird.

Dude (or Dudette), I'm teasing you. You have a 150 watt head that sells for $649 brand new. You surely did not buy this for bedroom playing. 150 watts is for LARGE venue playing. I mean, if you wanted a cool tube head for jamming at home, you should have bought something with MUCH lower wattage. A LOUD home amp would be 15 watts max and that's if you have your own dedicated space in the basement or something.

That amp is not made to be dependable. I know very little about them but I'm guessing it has a PCB board with everything mounted to it. If pretty much ANYTHING goes wrong, like a potentiometer, you almost HAVE to throw it away because the repair bill is going to cost nearly as much as a new amp unless you can repair it yourself and I would bet a large sum of money that you don't have the skills required to work on this amp.

Here's my unsolicited advice: Put those two tubes back in the amp. Does it still make that chirping noise? No? Way cool. SELL IT. Now, take that money and scour your local and nearby CL for an early 70s Fender Champ. You'll have to add some money. It'll probably take about $600 or maybe more but you will have a MUCH more dependable, usable and enjoyable amp. It'll probably sound way better and if something goes wrong, any amp tech can fix it for a reasonable price.

Oh yeah, I meant to add... that Champ is point-to-point, hand wired. It's one of the simplest tube amp circuits out there. They sound amazing. You can put any pedals in front of them and they will sound killer.

Oh Fuck no. The transformers are huge and can take some shit. Tone wise? Fuck the Fender and it's point to point twattle.

These amps are meat eaters. I got mine for $400 brand new. I beat the shit out of them and they keep coming back for more. Gawd if someone told me a little iron Champ has any where near the impact of these big iron Marshall clones? Get the Fuck out of here.

Torren61

Reaction score
Oh Fuck no. The transformers are huge and can take some shit. Tone wise? Fuck the Fender and it's point to point twattle.

These amps are meat eaters. I got mine for $400 brand new. I beat the shit out of them and they keep coming back for more. Gawd if someone told me a little iron Champ has any where near the impact of these big iron Marshall clones? Get the Fuck out of here.
Well, to each their own. I don't buy Chinese amps or guitars or pretty much anything else made there unless there are no other options. If you read the OP, you'd see that he was trying to "tame the volume". With a master volume already on the amp, he is STILL pulling two tubes. That Bugera may be exactly what YOU need but it's clear it's exactly what the OP DOESN'T need and I'm trying to help. A late 60s or early 70s Champ is awesome enough on its own as a good bedroom amp with a hell of a lot of built in tone but a person can throw their favorite pedal in front of it to get death metal a manageable volume.

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Well, to each their own. I don't buy Chinese amps or guitars or pretty much anything else made there unless there are no other options. If you read the OP, you'd see that he was trying to "tame the volume". With a master volume already on the amp, he is STILL pulling two tubes. That Bugera may be exactly what YOU need but it's clear it's exactly what the OP DOESN'T need and I'm trying to help. A late 60s or early 70s Champ is awesome enough on its own as a good bedroom amp with a hell of a lot of built in tone but a person can throw their favorite pedal in front of it to get death metal a manageable volume.
To be fair, there is a lot more to consider when buying an amp then wattage. Plenty of people play only at home with 100w non master volume amps. I have a Waza TAE that is amazeballs.

But yeah I am not a fan of Bugera amps. Lucky for me I can afford to spend more I guess.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

So many ways to run a Plexi without killing your ears. I get it though. I don't have volume restraints and it sounds much better without the PPIMV. And those little box champs? Sound like little boxes. Any amp point to point or Asian made can sound good when recording. I just can't find the need for any Fender when my Marshallz or clones sound good...live.

To each there own and your opinion is as valid as mine. Preference. Application = mileage or experience.

I have Marshall Plexi and I have these clones. Neat thing about the Bugeras is the ability to use matched or unmatched, 6V6's, 6550's, KT88's, 34's , 6L6's, KT77's, kT66's etc same pin outs and not have to bias. And they sound great.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, there is a lot more to consider when buying an amp then wattage. Plenty of people play only at home with 100w non master volume amps. I have a Waza TAE that is amazeballs.

But yeah I am not a fan of Bugera amps. Lucky for me I can afford to spend more I guess.

Lucky for me I only had to spend $400 for my 1960I and 1990I which I'd put up against my brand stamped Marshallz and be able to still please me and the ladies. The guys? WGAS!:D