Cabinet advice - MG412 ?

• Thread starter Matthewthomas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bought an Origin20H. I play only at home, right now using the seventy 80 internal speaker of my fender combo.
I’m thinking of getting an MG412 for the following reasons:
I found a used one in my area for very cheap (200 CAD = ~$150) I like how it looks and I like that it’s smaller. Yes it’s an unwise poser move but I think having the O20H (which is slightly undersized itself) on a Marshall 4x12 stack will just look cool. I know I should realistically get a 2x12 with greenbacks, that’s my other plan. But it’s very hard to find used, and new there is a Traynor darkhorse but it’s going to be close to 1000 cad after tax, and I could basically get the mg412 plus 2 greenbacks for less, and use it as a 2x12.
I could get a used 1960, but that would be even crazier in terms of size, I’m not sold on g12t75 that they all seem to come with, and it would dwarf the O20H.
I know people dislike the mg412 with stock speakers, and also because it’s mdf and undersized. I want something soon so waiting around for the right cab is not what I want to do. Am I plain stupid to go the direction I’m thinking (ie. getting the mg412 and 2 greenbacks and using it as a 2x12 for now because I like the look)? I would probably plan to get 2 Neo creambacks to combine and keep weight down (or 2 more greenbacks or whatever down the line) and could use the cab if I upgrade later to a more legit amp as well. Any thought appreciated!

steveb63

Reaction score
Grab that MG. You can always change out the speakers if need be.

I like the smaller footprint, and our man @Mitchell Pearrow uses a couple, and I think he put some Greenbacks in his. You don't hear many complaints on his tone.
He must be on to something. Hopefully he chimes in and can help you, being that he's a real world user.

Aw hell man, it's cheap-grab it.
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with an MG412 for home use as you describe.
Changing out 2 of the speakers will help, but I'd leave the other MG speaker in until you get a chance for another 2 of choice.
If you really want a 212, keep an eye out for a Code 212, they can usually be had on the cheap, and actually match the O20H extremely well.
Bin the Code speakers and pop in some greenbacks. :yesway:

JohnH

Reaction score
Another good one that sometimes comes up is a Marshall 8412. It'd be from early 90's, also a smaller 4x12 but better MdF construction than an MG, and it came with quite nice G12L-35 speakers. I had one fir a few years.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with an MG412 for home use as you describe.
Changing out 2 of the speakers will help, but I'd leave the other MG speaker in until you get a chance for another 2 of choice.
If you really want a 212, keep an eye out for a Code 212, they can usually be had on the cheap, and actually match the O20H extremely well.
Bin the Code speakers and pop in some greenbacks. :yesway:
I thought about that option of leaving 2 of the mg’s in there diagonally too, after I posted. I guess it’s too much to hope for someone to know the efficiency of the g12-30mg’s? I can hardly find any info on them whatsoever, which is further muddied by the fact they seem to be referred to by various designations and aren’t a true ‘stock’ celestion. The g12m’s are 98db and I wouldn’t want them drowned out by the mg’s which would defeat the purpose. I will look into the code 212 also, thanks for the pointers as always

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Greenback MG412 vs. 1960b
There is a 1960b in my area, with g12t-75’s. Sort of a tag on question would be: what do you think a low-ish power amp like the O20H would sound like on medium to low volume through this large high power-rating amp compared to say an mg412 with 4 greenbacks or 2 stock/2 greenbacks? I like the greenback sound and it seems to be sort of the default for the classic British blues rock I’m going for, but that aside, just in terms of physics, from what I can tell it would make more sense to use greenbacks based on the lower power handling if I want to actually push them and get that sound? That is, am I right in assuming I won’t even get the g12t-75s (300w altogether) even close to how they are supposed to be used so they won’t sound right? And am I right to think they are kind of meant for more heavy rock/metal and I would be better going with a greenback-upgraded mg412? I know the 1960 is a better animal and it seems ludicrous overkill for an origin 20, but the 1960 would be same ballpark price as the (mg412+speakers) and it’s ready to roll…

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greenback MG412 vs. 1960b
There is a 1960b in my area, with g12t-75’s. Sort of a tag on question would be: what do you think a low-ish power amp like the O20H would sound like on medium to low volume through this large high power-rating amp compared to say an mg412 with 4 greenbacks or 2 stock/2 greenbacks? I like the greenback sound and it seems to be sort of the default for the classic British blues rock I’m going for, but that aside, just in terms of physics, from what I can tell it would make more sense to use greenbacks based on the lower power handling if I want to actually push them and get that sound? That is, am I right in assuming I won’t even get the g12t-75s (300w altogether) even close to how they are supposed to be used so they won’t sound right? And am I right to think they are kind of meant for more heavy rock/metal and I would be better going with a greenback-upgraded mg412? I know the 1960 is a better animal and it seems ludicrous overkill for an origin 20, but the 1960 would be same ballpark price as the (mg412+speakers) and it’s ready to roll…
The power handling of the T-75 does not mean that the O20H can't "push" them.
People run 1960 cabs with 1-watt amps.

You may even like the stock MG speakers more than the 70-80 in your Fender combo.
If you are going to change them out, just make sure you match the impedance.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
@Mathewthomas
:welcome:
To The Forum
I have purchased many MG cabs
I have one with a pair of greenbacks in it.
That I run with a Origin 50H
I have also put a couple of eminence golds in another, I have to purchase more speakers to fill the rest of the cabs I have.
My biggest savings was being able to grab the MG cabs for cheap on the average about a hundred dollars each.
I still have 8 of them[url=https://postimg.cc/McLWzNzD][/URL]
This was the first one I changed out . And yes I left the original mg speakers in, and this cab sounds great to me.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Mitch

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
@Mathewthomas
:welcome:
To The Forum
I have purchased many MG cabs
I have one with a pair of greenbacks in it.
That I run with a Origin 50H
I have also put a couple of eminence golds in another, I have to purchase more speakers to fill the rest of the cabs I have.
My biggest savings was being able to grab the MG cabs for cheap on the average about a hundred dollars each.
I still have 8 of them[url=https://postimg.cc/McLWzNzD][/URL]
This was the first one I changed out . And yes I left the original mg speakers in, and this cab sounds great to me.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Mitch
Wow, well that is helpful! Crazy how much bigger the magnets are on the greenbacks than the mg’s! So with this mix, you get the character of the greenbacks shining through nicely? Thanks for chiming in, this is as helpful as it gets.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, well that is helpful! Crazy how much bigger the magnets are on the greenbacks than the mg’s! So with this mix, you get the character of the greenbacks shining through nicely? Thanks for chiming in, this is as helpful as it gets.
No problem brother. Glad I was able to help.. the black cab next to the white one got the eminence golds..
My avatar pic is a couple more of the white ones..

Cheers

colchar

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bought an Origin20H. I play only at home, right now using the seventy 80 internal speaker of my fender combo.
I’m thinking of getting an MG412 for the following reasons:
I found a used one in my area for very cheap (200 CAD = ~$150) I like how it looks and I like that it’s smaller. Yes it’s an unwise poser move but I think having the O20H (which is slightly undersized itself) on a Marshall 4x12 stack will just look cool. I know I should realistically get a 2x12 with greenbacks, that’s my other plan. But it’s very hard to find used, and new there is a Traynor darkhorse but it’s going to be close to 1000 cad after tax, and I could basically get the mg412 plus 2 greenbacks for less, and use it as a 2x12.
I could get a used 1960, but that would be even crazier in terms of size, I’m not sold on g12t75 that they all seem to come with, and it would dwarf the O20H.
I know people dislike the mg412 with stock speakers, and also because it’s mdf and undersized. I want something soon so waiting around for the right cab is not what I want to do. Am I plain stupid to go the direction I’m thinking (ie. getting the mg412 and 2 greenbacks and using it as a 2x12 for now because I like the look)? I would probably plan to get 2 Neo creambacks to combine and keep weight down (or 2 more greenbacks or whatever down the line) and could use the cab if I upgrade later to a more legit amp as well. Any thought appreciated!

Leave the MG alone, not worth it.

Go to your local L&M and ask them to check the used inventory nationwide for a used DHX212. There are also a couple of other 2x12s, but I have the DHX so can attest to how good it is.

If you cannot find a Traynor, find another brand like an H&K with V30 speakers.

It might take 3-4 weeks to find one because they just had a used inventory sale last weekend, but there will be others coming in used before too long.

If you insist on a 4x12 then ask them to check for the YCS 4x12 cabs. Those had G12-75 speakers and are the exact same as Marshall cabs, but maybe even better built. There are straight and slant versions available.

If you go the 2x12 with Greenbacks route I do know there are DHX212 cabs available used right now, but have no idea what the prices are. I got mine for less than $500 and it was mint.

IMG_5519.jpeg

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I do hear the greenbacks more so than the mg speakers, and if I had a lot of disposable income I would put them in all of the cabs I possess.

Thanks

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Leave the MG alone, not worth it.

Go to your local L&M and ask them to check the used inventory nationwide for a used DHX212. There are also a couple of other 2x12s, but I have the DHX so can attest to how good it is.

If you cannot find a Traynor, find another brand like an H&K with V30 speakers.

It might take 3-4 weeks to find one because they just had a used inventory sale last weekend, but there will be others coming in used before too long.

I do know there are DHX212 cabs available used right now, but have no idea what the prices are. I got mine for less than $500 and it was mint.

View attachment 125295
That’s a good way to go, and was my original-ish plan after deciding I wanted more than a 1x12 (also looked at the Traynor dark horse 112 because of the greenback). The 212 is smart and better built than the mg412, but I’m just silly enough to really want it to say Marshall on it, to match the head and also the stack look. I know, it’s stupid but it’s pulling me. But I will place a call to L&M to see about used options, I appreciate the advice because I am well known in my household for making snap decisions, not always the best LOL

colchar

Reaction score
That’s a good way to go, and was my original-ish plan after deciding I wanted more than a 1x12 (also looked at the Traynor dark horse 112 because of the greenback). The 212 is smart and better built than the mg412, but I’m just silly enough to really want it to say Marshall on it, to match the head and also the stack look. I know, it’s stupid but it’s pulling me. But I will place a call to L&M to see about used options, I appreciate the advice because I am well known in my household for making snap decisions, not always the best LOL

See the info I just added about the Traynor 4x12 cabs. They are the same and will be cheaper despite probably being better built.

And if you are patient, you can get Marshall 1936 or 1960 cabs at L&M for good prices. I've never paid more than $700 for a 1960.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
See the info I just added about the Traynor 4x12 cabs. They are the same and will be cheaper despite probably being better built.

And if you are patient, you can get Marshall 1936 or 1960 cabs at L&M for good prices. I've never paid more than $700 for a 1960.
A 1936 with GBs would be awesome. I think the 1960 is just too big.
I’m definitely not patient haha

colchar

Reaction score
A 1936 with GBs would be awesome. I think the 1960 is just too big.
I’m definitely not patient haha

Learn patience otherwise you will make a purchase that won't make you happy, and you'll end up buying something else and wasting money.

The 1936 doesn't have Greenbacks. Don't get hung up on Greenbacks, the G12-75s are great speakers too as are the V30s. And all of those are way better than the MG speakers.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought about that option of leaving 2 of the mg’s in there diagonally too, after I posted. I guess it’s too much to hope for someone to know the efficiency of the g12-30mg’s? I can hardly find any info on them whatsoever, which is further muddied by the fact they seem to be referred to by various designations and aren’t a true ‘stock’ celestion. The g12m’s are 98db and I wouldn’t want them drowned out by the mg’s which would defeat the purpose. I will look into the code 212 also, thanks for the pointers as always
Just leave two of the MG speakers in the cab but not connected up. You would otherwise have to make two blanks to cover the holes where the speakers were. Then decide if you want the two Greenbacks to be a 16 or 8 ohm load. Two 16 ohm speakers in parallel will give you 8 ohms and two 8 ohm speakers in series will give you a 16 ohm load.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Just leave two of the MG speakers in the cab but not connected up. You would otherwise have to make two blanks to cover the holes where the speakers were. Then decide if you want the two Greenbacks to be a 16 or 8 ohm load. Two 16 ohm speakers in parallel will give you 8 ohms and two 8 ohm speakers in series will give you a 16 ohm load.
@Mitchell Pearrow Have you tried your cab with just the two GB's firing?