Cabinet advice - MG412 ?

• Thread starter Matthewthomas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Little update on MG412 cab discussion: over time I filled up my MG412 with four greenback type speakers: two G12M75hz in the top and two G12H speakers in the bottom, one new heritage series G12H 55hz, and one is actually a pre-rola pulsonic cone G12H 75hz from 1971. There wasn’t any grand plan it’s just sort of the speakers I ended up with but it really works. And I realized I WAY prefer the sound with the back off . I don’t know if that has anything to with the MG cab itself not being great or properly sized etc, or that I’m just used to open backed cabs in general, but it sounds unbelievably good, super happy. On top is my Lead 12 with (what else?) a G12M haha

Attachments

• B15E0AD7-3286-4403-9A10-B9B7A69DC780.jpeg
    B15E0AD7-3286-4403-9A10-B9B7A69DC780.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 6

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
there has been past discussion about these & similar other brand cab's.

a couple things people have done is:

1. cut off, around 4" off the back panel to have a big open vent in the back.
2. line the interior w/ insulation.

I think most people were happiest w/ the cutting the rear panel, to make it a semi-open back. This way, it retains some of the sound pressure, but, doesn't build it up, until the cab gets woofy. The one, or 2 guys that lined theirs w/ insulation were happy enough... :shrug:

Do what ever works.

The guys that cut the back panel had someone hole the wood up, closing the cab, then sliding it up, to open the back, while they were playing. They then settled at around 4"...

** if you do this, peel the tolex back, where you are to cut it. Then re-wrap & glue it, & cut off the excess. (if your cab has tolex on the back, that is)