The Silver Jubilee Cult

• Thread starter Australian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
Put the output master on 8 lead master on 10, input gain at 7 or 8.....then tell me the Jubilee doesn't have as big balls as the jmp.
Sorry brother did that already.
The JMP just blows all my other 100 watters out of the water.
It is just a crazy beast!!!
It is the first amp that scares me.
It is that loud. and once you turn it over 3 you can feel your ear drums being pushed in a scary way:ohno:

Now, with all that said and done, my jub + the BB preamp gets much more play time.
I think it is my favorite marshall.

The superlead is simply too loud!!!

It is like a fine aged whiskey. it is great, but drink too much and your body gonna pay the price.
so once a week I take it to a spin on 3 (I don't dare to go over...)

67mike

Reaction score
Sorry brother did that already.
The JMP just blows all my other 100 watters out of the water.
It is just a crazy beast!!!
It is the first amp that scares me.
It is that loud. and once you turn it over 3 you can feel your ear drums being pushed in a scary way:ohno:

Now, with all that said and done, my jub + the BB preamp gets much more play time.
I think it is my favorite marshall.

The superlead is simply too loud!!!

It is like a fine aged whiskey. it is great, but drink too much and your body gonna pay the price.
so once a week I take it to a spin on 3 (I don't dare to go over...)
Sounds like my 1983 JCM 800 2203. It has been modded and is a face melter. I accidentally had the master volume on 4.....hit a big old eb and drywall dust came pouring out of my jam rooms potlights! Nearly blew my ears clean off.

Still not as loud as my old Vintage Hiwatt DR 504 full stack......that was absolutely mental.

Any way, the jube, 2204 and 2203 all hang out with the same chick's in my humble opinion......

James Freeman

Reaction score
Is the Silver Jubilee considered to be the last classic Marshall?
Personally, I think so.

As far as I can see the Jubilee is the last Marshall without active silicon components in the signal chain, clipping diodes/LEDs are not active components.
The JCM800 2205/2210 models had NPN transistor array to shunt signal to ground, part of the channel switching circuitry, technically not in the signal chain but not without its flaws like signal bleed etc.
The JCM900 is an OpAmp forest, bleh.
The JCM2000...lol

That puts the Jubilee in a very good spot between the 2203 and 2210, yes it has clipping diodes like the 2210 but it uses hard bypass relays/switches for switching modes.
I consider the Jubilee a 'versatile' single channel JCM800 amp, because it is.

67mike

Reaction score
Is the Silver Jubilee considered to be the last classic Marshall?
Personally, I think so.

As far as I can see the Jubilee is the last Marshall without active silicon components in the signal chain, clipping diodes/LEDs are not active components.
The JCM800 2205/2210 models had NPN transistor array to shunt signal to ground, part of the channel switching circuitry, technically not in the signal chain but not without its flaws like signal bleed etc.
The JCM900 is an OpAmp forest, bleh.
The JCM2000...lol

That puts the Jubilee in a very good spot between the 2203 and 2210, yes it has clipping diodes like the 2210 but it uses hard bypass relays/switches for switching modes.
I consider the Jubilee a 'versatile' single channel JCM800 amp, because it is.
The Vintage Modern should Also be considered a classic Marshall as well.....imho.

James Freeman

Reaction score
Everything I have heard, read, seen says the reissue is the same circiit.

With one small change, the reissue Presence pot is Anti-Log while on the original it's Linear like on the JCM800.
The reissue has a smoother Presence taper across the entire range, Original (Linear) at 8 will be equal to 4.5 on Reissue (Inverse Log), 5->3, etc.

rrGog.png

@santiall Can you confirm?

Last edited:

James Freeman

Reaction score
The Output master needs to be at 6 or above to get the amp to its sweet spot....don't worry this is about as loud as 1.5 on my 2204's master.
The volume level of the Jubilee on 6, is comparable to the 2203 on 1 - 2.

Good info.

I have simulated both preamps in LTSpice and indeed the Jubilee with LM on 10 and MV on 5.5 will be equal to a 2204 MV on 2. Considering the toletancces of real pots this is pretty accurate.

The reason for this is the diode clipped signal is very low, around 2v peak and the fx loop recovery stage (220k/470) is not enough to bring it up to tube level which also drives the tone stack from its high impedance plate.

In total we have a much lower preamp signal before the master volume, but still high enough to drive the power amp well into clipping if the MV turned above 6.

Last edited:

James Freeman

Reaction score
I have read that I can achieve similar smoothing effect by driving the fx loop recovery stage grid with a slight volume boost in the loop like an eq pedal instead of driving the phase inverter with MV at 7.

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
I'm in love with my Jubilee again:wub:
Been on the 800 for a while.
lately found myself back on the jub.
With a klone clone as a boost i just can't stop playing.
I just thought I'll let you know:slash:

Deftone

Reaction score
I'm in love with my Jubilee again:wub:
Been on the 800 for a while.
lately found myself back on the jub.
With a klone clone as a boost i just can't stop playing.
I just thought I'll let you know:slash:
I agree. I love my 2555. My 800 2204 is sweet but it lacks some low end and some character. The Jube just sounds thicker.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Due to it's master volume I keep my Mini Jubilee as a bedroom amp. Well that and because I can't lift the 2x12 cab so well these days, so I tend to take my SV20h and it's smaller 1x12 cab to gigs/rehearsals.

I do love the bottom end from the larger cab (and I know those with 4x12s must be laughing at this ;)).

This was one day when my wife was away for a weekend and I set it up in the living room to play along with some records. :D

Both Marshall Stacks.jpg

I like the colour of the Jubilee so much that I had a guitar display case made in the same tolex:

Ricky display 1.jpg