Cabinet Build 2 x 15/10

• Thread starter Tim.
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tim.

Reaction score
Here is what will be my first cabinet write up...

in my research i havent found many definite answers on what's needed or what size or many answers at all. certainly very few really good write ups.

so far for materials i have:
  • 3/4" 7 ply birch plywood
  • scraws
  • 3/8" dowling
  • dowel jig
  • wood glue
  • poplar trim
  • EVM 15L Series II 8 ohm 15" speaker

materials i need:
  • white tolex
  • speaker grill fabric
  • handles
  • casters
  • jack & wire
  • tolex adhesive
  • corner guards

plans:
open back box simply to make both speakers last and not fight each other for superiority.

use a 10" and a 15" speaker as i already have the 15" and my mentor tells me it would be good to keep.

the cab will be wired for 16 ohms to work with my marshall 3210 and my marshall class5 amps.

what i really wanted to do was build a 2 x 12 cab but i'm gonna go with my friends suggestion this time. if it's no good, well... i guess thats why they invented "next time".

why build a cab instead of buy one?
well, i like to build stuff! usually i am welding steel for my projects, this time i am using wood. i am no stranger to tools as i have and use more than anyone i know.

definitly looking forward to my new project...

by nature i like to whore pictures for everyone to see so anybody who is interested can dump or praise my progress as they see fit.

more to come...
dd828d67.jpg

Tim.

Reaction score
well, here come the first pictures... sorry they are not what they were supposed to be.

i went to pull the new 15" speaker out of the old cabinet. i was told it was new by the seller. it may be fine but it does not look like it to someone who is not savvy in speakers...

4cc84272.jpg

there are two dog ear shape creases in the cone that can be seen in the pic. also there is a little perferation across one of the creases about .35" long.

it sounded okay when i played it but it still pi$$es me off that the kid told me it was new...

672b127d.jpg

b744cb06.jpg

back side of the speaker

0c99e04d.jpg

from jumbosunshade.com this is how i planned to wire it.

if you guys have any comments on the speaker, i'd like to hear it please....

Tim.

Reaction score
well, glad i didn't do any cutting... this looks like its turning into a 2x12 thread now.

looking at the veteran 30s. i wonder how those will work with the class5?
anyone know?

Tim.

Reaction score
well, i am going to continue this conversation with myself a bit :D :

and, i dont like the idea of the semi-damaged cone on the 15"....

been looking at the veteran 30, and the G12P-80 "seventy 80". having only other peoples reviews to go on, i can see it seems to be sort of an even match. there are a lot of different opinions so all i can really do is sort of average their responses.

as far as the cab i am going to base it off the 1936 now with one or two changes.
size is probably going to be somewhere around 29.75" x 14" x 23.5". it will be a 16Ω cab to match up to the class5 needs and will work with the 3210 as stated above.

gearing more towards the class5... im never gonna dime the 3210. its too loud, im too old....

Tim.

Reaction score
made some progress today.
learned a few things too: don't use a cheap dowel jig and don't touch your hootus when you have wood glue on your hands...

turns out there were no decent jigs in town so i used plenty of glue and scraws. tomorrow i hope to router and sand it all nicey-nice.

been lots of fun sort of figuring stuff out. i need to order tolex, corners, handles and speakers. i am hoping to find some to match my class5 white. i think they will be roomies...

here's a pic of my 6913 domebrew cab 1.0
527100ef.jpg

(no snickering)

Tim.

Reaction score
well, been belt sanding in the name of evening things up a bit and it is coming nicely. used some wood filler for the screw holes.

i am liking how this is coming together.

earlier i went to man heaven (the home depot) to pick up a few things and hoping to find a router bit... it does not look like a 1" radius is in the cards. it wont matter too much anyways as this is not really a replica or clone.

here are a couple more pix:
3a029acd.jpg

e628b30f.jpg

the front ready for circles

0c458f7b.jpg

side shot

i want to find some tolex matching in color of my cream class5. i may even recover the 3210... it seems like it comes pretty big.

grill cloth... that is something i might need to plan with someone or the next project... you also get a buttload when ordering...

later....

lespaulboy

Reaction score
Looking good... Let us know what you get for tolex and where you get it from. I've had my OEM Marshall tolex on back order for three months with no word on ETA. My project is currently at a stand still :(

Tim.

Reaction score
Looking good... Let us know what you get for tolex and where you get it from. I've had my OEM Marshall tolex on back order for three months with no word on ETA. My project is currently at a stand still :(

you went through parts / parts right?
good build, i am following your's too. i liked how well your joints turned out. i tried to follow in your footsteps but it wasn't meant to be. i am already having ideas for another one...

i was looking at the vintage sound... i need grill fabric too and after reading about your troubles i am thinking more generic coverings might be okay. there are many kinds on ebay. it may be smarter for me to just pick a complimenting color or black just to speed up things.

***some final notes from today***

all mounting holes drilled, didn't get to router it yet. guess thats why they invented "next time i'm off"...

cac30b81.jpg

6063f0bd.jpg

the 3210 going for a trile ride.

i will wait till i get the speakers before i cut anything since this is my first rodeo...

lespaulboy

Reaction score
Yes I am going through Parts Is Parts... I'm not aware of anyone else who is selling the OEM Marshall Tolex.

Your build is looking nice. I see some design similarities now .... LOL. I've done gluing and screwing before it'll be nice and solid. Too bad the dowelling didn't work out for you.

If you are looking for corners, handles, feet, jack plates, etc, check out TCH TCH | Single source for case and speaker cabinet hardware - TCH. It looks like they are the same parts that Avatar and Stone Age use for their cabs. And they are inexpensive. Their metal corners are 1/2" radius which makes finding bits and not hitting screws a bit easier. If you go with their stackable plastic corners, a believe they are 1/4" radius.

Tim.

Reaction score
holy fast delivery!
5e39c89c.jpg

i ordered these from
Avatar yesterday afternoon and they were on my front porch today!
thanks Dave!

thanks for the link lespaulboy. im on my way there now ;)

Tim.

Reaction score
Yes I am going through Parts Is Parts... I'm not aware of anyone else who is selling the OEM Marshall Tolex.

Your build is looking nice. I see some design similarities now .... LOL. I've done gluing and screwing before it'll be nice and solid. Too bad the dowelling didn't work out for you.

If you are looking for corners, handles, feet, jack plates, etc, check out TCH TCH | Single source for case and speaker cabinet hardware - TCH. It looks like they are the same parts that Avatar and Stone Age use for their cabs. And they are inexpensive. Their metal corners are 1/2" radius which makes finding bits and not hitting screws a bit easier. If you go with their stackable plastic corners, a believe they are 1/4" radius.

ordered all my hardware from this link. seemed like a super deal!
ebay marshall-like black tolex
amazon.com black grill cloth.
black on black seemed good for my first try. hope it all goes on good..

i forgot to order my jack. i guess radio shack would have that, huh? :naughty:

Tim.

Reaction score
Do I need to put some kind of filler or insulation inside the boxwhen I am finished?

Thoughts/opinions welcome, thanks

Tim.

Reaction score
which jack/flange plate should i get?
i was looking for one input mono...
the back of the cab is 0.75" thick.

lespaulboy

Reaction score
As far as jack plates go, I've used the small metal circular single jack plates from TCH that have three screws.. they are on my current 2 x 12's. The larger double jack square plate is an option as well.. The circular one is nice, as it is small, and easy to bore a hole the right size.

As far as filler goes.. start off with nothing. You'll probably get a bit more "tone" out of your cabinet. Just experiment... there is no right or wrong.

Tim.

Reaction score
when i was looking at tch i saw they had a different kind of jack. it didn't look like the 0.25". it was the only one i could find. i was hoping to use something more universal.

i will go back and look again.

lespaulboy

Reaction score
Sorry... my appologies. Looks like they have changed their catalogue since I last ordered jack plates (at least a couple years) from them. The order I just got From TCH was only for corners, feet and handles. I was going for the OEM recessed Marshall jack (which I obiviously dont have yet ...LOL). I'll do a quick search to see if I can find what I have used in the past.