Cabinet Build 2 x 15/10

• Thread starter Tim.
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lespaulboy

Reaction score

Tim.

Reaction score
more pix from today during my novice fumbling...

3a8bbdb6.jpg

i like the 0.50" router bit. it worked nicely

69f03ac6.jpg

668ecf2d.jpg

my compass didn't go big enough so i made the next best thing which turned out to work perfectly.

d5c11d71.jpg

i scored around the lines i was preparing to cut.

299092a6.jpg

transfer punches work good on wood too...

9fae8fb7.jpg

t-nuts installed and studs/machine screws installed from the outside with locktite...

tolex is here but i want to wait for the hardware to come before i try to install it. lots of people out there seem to be afraid of tolex installs. it doesn't look too difficult to me. :)

Tim.

Reaction score
i wanted to show the baffle plate again. i read somewhere about speaker fabric snapping on the baffle face like a snare. it was suggested that a spacer between the baffle and the fabric would take care of this.

in the picture you will see the 0.25" thick spacer that runs around the baffle.
( this thing is getting closer to 1936 specs :) )
e8a07e1e.jpg

it was too cold for the wood filler to dry completely yesterday so, no sanding...

today's agenda:
mark locations for handles and feet.
sand... sand... sand...

hardware is hopefully on a truck coming this way.

Tim.

Reaction score
well, i did my first tolex today. i actually enjoyed the process and learnd a bunch of stuff along the way. well, maybe not a whole bunch...

the heat gun made it go faster. next time will be easier.

here's some pix of my first try. the corners were a little tricky but next time i know just what to do.

4c86ffbf.jpg

my first corner...

c18f3420.jpg

36b8d841.jpg

f186dcbb.jpg

i liked these handles and corners. i have stainless screws to put them in tomorrow night.

i think i shorted myself on tolex. i might not have enough to do the back panel :(

lespaulboy

Reaction score
Hey Tim... looking great !!! Can't wait to see pics of the finished product. What did you end up using to glue the tolex? Let us know how that process went and if you have any observations or recommendations.

Tim.

Reaction score
Hey Tim... looking great !!! Can't wait to see pics of the finished product. What did you end up using to glue the tolex? Let us know how that process went and if you have any observations or recommendations.

i used green can dap

i noticed tha when i brushed it on not "thin" and not "thick" it worked pretty good.

when i had a white coat on both surfaces it seemed to work the best.
my heat gun sped up the process nicely too.
the fumes were non existent so you would be able to use this product indoors.

it was difficult for me not to feel rushed but i had plenty of time to get the job done. i had a staple gun to add peace of mind. spring clamps helped too.

the corners required a bit of thought as you have to think them all the way through. mistakes are not hard to cover up as i bet i am the only one who will notice.

still waiting on the jack and grill colth, i hope they show up today.

thanks for all the comments and help!

Tim.

Reaction score
here's the end of the build:

just wanted to say it might have been cheaper to buy a used one but i sure had fun building this!!! i want to do it again.

118b695e.jpg

16 ohm series job

8d7780a2.jpg

this cab has feet for side and bottom

5a3b1d00.jpg

4c354b3f.jpg

lots of screws... i like to screw...

a88d5be4.jpg

my home made sticker... everything i build is called "Domebrew" dome sounds like my last name..

61dbf065.jpg

RRRAARRRrrr!

b8d5ffde.jpg

what it's for...

prices?
sheet of 7 ply birch $40
tolex $28
grill cloth $12
jack $5
screws $15
speakers $130
3' cord $15

blasting the clothes off drunk girls - priceless

thrawn86

Reaction score
Looks great Tim. Quick turnaround on your project too! :thumb:

cagamp1

Reaction score
Tim, I've been seeing your build from time to time. I see you ditched the 15 inch. The cab looks fab man. How do the Veterans sound...like'm?

I see you used a locking jack...kool. I like to use Neutrik SpeakON Combo's.

I see your daughter may like the guitar. My daughter picked on one for a little while, but she sticks to her violin. Music is good for them.

If you got time, check out my profile picture. There's a Bassman tweed custom cab job I did for myself...the pictured cab has two 10's and a 15 divided into two chambers.
:wave:

Tim.

Reaction score
Tim, I've been seeing your build from time to time. I see you ditched the 15 inch. The cab looks fab man. How do the Veterans sound...like'm?

I see you used a locking jack...kool. I like to use Neutrik SpeakON Combo's.

I see your daughter may like the guitar. My daughter picked on one for a little while, but she sticks to her violin. Music is good for them.

If you got time, check out my profile picture. There's a Bassman tweed custom cab job I did for myself...the pictured cab has two 10's and a 15 divided into two chambers.
:wave:

thanks for looking in!

i really wanted to use the 15 and i still might as i want to have another project. i also followed your picture and had a look. cool!

the speakers are spankin' new so they havent broke in at all. i like what i hear so far though.

my daughter practiced every day with me for two months to get that 3/4 strat. she is seven now and has had a little martin acoustic for a year and a half. she likes the electric much better and it is easier for her to play. she has a line 6 15w modeling amp and gets some pretty cool sounds out of it. :naughty:

lespaulboy

Reaction score
Tim... that looks fantastic. Nice Job !

I'm now really chomping at the bit to get mine done. I'll be calling Parts is Parts tomorrow to get an ETA... if it looks bad, I may pull the order and go with an aftermarket Tolex. Let me know where you got yours from and what you thought of the quality.

Tim.

Reaction score
Tim... that looks fantastic. Nice Job !

I'm now really chomping at the bit to get mine done. I'll be calling Parts is Parts tomorrow to get an ETA... if it looks bad, I may pull the order and go with an aftermarket Tolex. Let me know where you got yours from and what you thought of the quality.

well, i found mine on ebay, there were a couple of guys selling it pretty cheap. it was thinner than marshall tolex but it looks good. the guy selling it goes into detail on the difference between marshall tolex and the stuff i got.

brett's sound shop

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
nice work. so the tolex was pretty easy to make look good? ive had a fear of it, havent had the guts to try it yet.
you made it look pretty easy though...thx for the thread

would vinyl work just as well? or would it tear easier? the reason i ask is i have a giant roll of nice dark blue vinyl, like upholstery vinyl, bought it to do some work on my boat and had a bunch left over.

Tim.

Reaction score
that is probably similar to what i used in thickness.

this was my first try... i would give it a go.
the tolex is not as tough as i thought it was.

played around with a slideshow today:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuoxtVRzqqI&feature=player_embedded"]Here's the short version to some music - clicky-clicky[/ame]

Hillcountry

Reaction score
Wow. You did a really nice job. I'm happy that you are proud of your work...you should be. I am glad it sounds as good as it looks!
-Hillcountry

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Nice job. I really like to see these homemade cabinets. Yeah, they may cost more to make then say a store bought one, but hey, it's all about pride in ownership.

Latest posts