• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

can a stand by switch go bad?

• Thread starter Lights out
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lights out

Reaction score
probably a really silly question but i have a 1979 jmp 50 watt head and just started noticing a buzzing when i put the head on stand by...also noticed when i touch or move the switch it will happen so i am guessing its the switch...can a switch go bad? im gonna order a switch and swap it out...2 question ...any good place to buy a switch ( its the rocker switch style ) and any high voltages on the stand by switch i gotta watch out for? or is that just on the caps? thanks and sorry for a silly question...lol stay safe

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably a really silly question but i have a 1979 jmp 50 watt head and just started noticing a buzzing when i put the head on stand by...also noticed when i touch or move the switch it will happen so i am guessing its the switch...can a switch go bad? im gonna order a switch and swap it out...2 question ...any good place to buy a switch ( its the rocker switch style ) and any high voltages on the stand by switch i gotta watch out for? or is that just on the caps? thanks and sorry for a silly question...lol stay safe
I get parts like that from Amp Repair Parts - Powered by Studio Sound Electronics. Frank is first class to work with. Great customer service. He went way above and beyond one time for me on Marshall knobs that didn't fit right and a volume pot that wasn't perfect. I won't look anywhere else anymore. I get my capacitors from him too. I have a '79 JMP Mark II Superlead 100 Watt and the power switch quit lighting up, got the switch from Amp Repair Parts and I didn't discharge the capacitors or anything no issues. but it does not hurt if you're the slightest bit concerned to find an old screw in light bulb and socket, cut the wires and put gator clips on and drain the capacitors, If there is any energy the light bulb will light and then go dim as it drains any residual current. Another thing I do is turn the amp off but leave the standby in the playing position, that will also cause some drain.

Last edited:

Lights out

Reaction score
I get parts like that from Amp Repair Parts - Powered by Studio Sound Electronics. Frank is first class to work with. Great customer service. He went way above and beyond one time for me on Marshall knobs that didn't fit right and a volume pot that wasn't perfect. I won't look anywhere else anymore. I get my capacitors from him too. I have a '79 JMP Mark II Superlead 100 Watt and the power switch quit lighting up, got the switch from Amp Repair Parts and I didn't discharge the capacitors or anything no issues. but it does not hurt if you're the slightest bit concerned to find an old screw in light bulb and socket, cut the wires and put gator clips on and drain the capacitors, If there is any energy the light bulb will light and then go dim as it drains any residual current. Another thing I do is turn the amp off but leave the standby in the playing position, that will also cause some drain.
awesome thanks will check him out

Max Gahne

Reaction score
it's a wonder more standby switches don't go bad switching high voltage dc like they often do

Because of the high voltage there's most always a tiny arc in a standby switch when it's closed. That little arc can cause wear. I've had some wear out and do things like this.

AtomicRob

Reaction score
At risk of starting a religious debate, I’d suggest you could also just hardwire the switch “on” by connecting the terminals in back. It works just fine without it... lots of info out there about standby switch myths. The last three amps I built I just left it off to save space on the front panel, simplify the wiring, and save a few bucks!

myersbw

Reaction score
At risk of starting a religious debate, I’d suggest you could also just hardwire the switch “on” by connecting the terminals in back. It works just fine without it... lots of info out there about standby switch myths. The last three amps I built I just left it off to save space on the front panel, simplify the wiring, and save a few bucks!

That'll also affirm the switch bad or not... :)

Marshall Arts

Reaction score
What happens if you disconnect and isolate the wires running through the switch and then turn on the main? Same results? In that case it is not the switch.
Noise gone? Yeah, something is not right with the switch.

SlapHand

Reaction score
My 2204 had hickups a couple of years ago... Crackling and and went in and out.
I messed with preamptubes and powertubes to no avail until I found out it was the standby switch (rockertype).
I ordered a new one but while waiting for it I tried some Deoxit and everything turned out fine.
I newer bothered changing it so now I have a spare one in a drawer somewhere...