Can Digitally Modelled Amps Replace Analogue Amplifiers? (listening Test)

George Burton

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I'm conducting a study on the topic of digitally modelled amps. It's based on my own hypothesis that digital amp modelling can replace all types analogue amplification (tube amps in particular) for common guitar practices which include practicing at home, live performances and studio recording. Therefore, I created a listening test which is primarily intended to illustrate whether guitarists would happily use amp modellers as opposed to tube amps and other analogue amplifiers in terms of tonal quality. The questions aren't perfect (biased in some people's opinion), but hopefully your feedback will enable me to generate sufficient data for me to prove or disprove my initial hypothesis. So if anyone is interested in participating, you would be contributing towards new research on guitar amplification would be helping me out massively!

(Also, make sure you read the instructions before completing the test as there are audio files you need to download to use whilst doing the test)

Survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/ZCRRZWJ

ricksteruk

Reaction score
I have spent a couple of hours with my Helix trying to dial in exact replicas of my Tube amps by using 4cm, so I can constantly A/B between real and modelled preamps. I have got it to sound incredibly similar. Even so there is a difference... I feel the tube amp has a certain mojo the modeller doesn't. But then again.. once or twice I have been playing away enjoying my tube amp.. except then I realised I was using the Helix model instead :)

FRED

Reaction score
Sound is one thing (and a VERY important thing) but one thing I learned by selling digital pianos to some pretty hard core (real) piano players: sound isn't the only thing - it also has to "feel" right.

The digital pianos all sounded like the real thing. They were all digitally sampled (or recorded) from the real thing. But the players expected a "feel" to the instrument that I couldn't hear. Not just physical action but more how they could modifiy the sound with their hands.

I've heard plenty of CD recordings of great guitars and amps. Digital can capture the playback of most things, piano's and guitars (apologies to Mr. Neil Young), but the original creation may be something very different, as interpreted by the performer.

All this to say that I don't think a listening sample isn't enough. The musician has to use it, and feel it, and be convinced.

My 2 cents anyway. Thoughts?

Len

Reaction score
Digital can't emulate analog 100% at this time.

FRED

Reaction score
Digital can't emulate analog 100% at this time.

And I wonder if there is a similar discussion in piano realm like: are digital piano's going to completely replace the grand piano? Can they?

FRED

Reaction score
And I wonder if there is a similar discussion in piano realm like: are digital piano's going to completely replace the grand piano? Can they?

Let's get really NUTS! Can in-ear monitors replace a 4-12 cabinet?? Or even a good 1-12 cab?

rick16v

Reaction score
Response/dynamics are not the same as sound. Can sound be recreated digitally so you can't tell the difference? Yes. Can the response of valves be recreated? I don't know.

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll keep my amps, I have no use for digital contraptions and gizmos,,,...so my answer is no,,,,

Peace

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
Even so there is a difference... I feel the tube amp has a certain mojo the modeller doesn't. But then again.. once or twice I have been playing away enjoying my tube amp.. except then I realised I was using the Helix model instead :)
That could prove that the mojo is in the mind. There's no doubt that tube amps are great, most of the stuff we grew up listening to was recorded with them but in a live situation does the audience know or care who is using a tube amp? I used a Line 6 distortion pedal into a Mosfet while gigging the other night and it sounded as good or better than one of the other bands tube amp.

wakjob

Reaction score
It's really coming down to subtleties and the finer nuances with the comparisons now.
Digital modeling today is so close it's scary.

And it's only going to keep progressing until perfected. End of story.
That's its future. Perfection. Developers are not going to stop tweaking until they are satisfied.

For me it's too damn good sounding, too convenient, and too practical to ignore.
I've yet to find a better low volume/at home solution.
Nothing else can give me a cranked amp AND a pushed speaker box sound at whisper levels.

rick16v

Reaction score
in a live situation does the audience know or care who is using a tube amp? .

Surely there is more to playing guitar than whether or not the audience is aware of what sort of equipment you are using. I think that is a different question.

The bit that many guitarists are questioning is can we replace our tube amps with digital and still have the same feel, dynamics, interaction with the amp and pleasure playing it.

I couldn't care less about what an audience thinks. Like 99.99% of guitarists out there, I play on my own or with a few pals.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im kinda with blueslicks thoughts on another thread..much easier to feel rock n roll standing in front of a Marshall stack than a modeler..they can sound spot on perfect but never have the nut shaking mojo of a cranked marshall stack...id like to have a helix, or kemper or axefx, but ill never be rid of my Marshalls...after 30+ years of ownership..they're part of my soul now. And if im spending $2500 im getting a yjm...sorry dude..if you have to ask..you dont understand.

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
Surely there is more to playing guitar than whether or not the audience is aware of what sort of equipment you are using. I think that is a different question.

The bit that many guitarists are questioning is can we replace our tube amps with digital and still have the same feel, dynamics, interaction with the amp and pleasure playing it.

I couldn't care less about what an audience thinks. Like 99.99% of guitarists out there, I play on my own or with a few pals.
Yeah bud, of course but i was more replying to what ricksteruk was saying about about playing & then realizing he wasn't using what he thought, on extention of that comment i was meaning that most people in general wouldn't know the difference.

Len

Reaction score
That could prove that the mojo is in the mind. There's no doubt that tube amps are great, most of the stuff we grew up listening to was recorded with them but in a live situation does the audience know or care who is using a tube amp? I used a Line 6 distortion pedal into a Mosfet while gigging the other night and it sounded as good or better than one of the other bands tube amp.
While I'm a guitarist and not a typical audience member, I can usually tell a modeler when used for rock or hard rock. They tend to sound a little more compressed, sterile, and sometimes have a raspy high end.

FRED

Reaction score
It was stated above that digital will eventually be perfect.

So here's a couple questions:
Why stop at perfect? ...and...
What would "better than perfect" look or sound like?

I'm really curious. (and please don't go for the obvious - well, I won't have to change tubes...or re-bias my digital amp).

What would the perfect 22nd century amp be like???