Can I plug 2 heads in the same 1960 cab?

• Thread starter bobbyvasco
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moony

Reaction score
Depends on the wiring of your cab.
Theoretically you could run the JVM with 2 speakers and the 800 with the other 2.

I wouldn't do that, especially when you don't use them both simultaneously because then you have only 2 speakers working in the 4x12 cab and the other 2 are vibrating passively which can affect the overall sound.

There are special devices like the trusty Radial Headbone VT for switching between heads wired to the same cab.
It's up to you if that's worth it.
If you don't switch permanently I would just plug into the amp you're going to use.

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
I have 4 Celestion G12T-75 16 Ohm that come standard in 1960 cab
So I have on 1960 cab

4 ohm input 16 ohm input
LEFT 8ohm RIGHT 8ohm

If I understand if two cabs are plugged in the left should be set to 4 ohm and the right should be set to 16 ohms?

The amps will not be played at the same time of course, one will be always turned off....I just dont like to switch cables each time I switch the heads

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Look again at the label on the cabinet. In stereo mode both jacks are 8 ohm.

Be SURE to set the switch correctly.

In mono mode, pick ONE jack to use. One is 4 ohm, the other is 16.

Reading is fundamental.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, thanks...
so I need to set both to 8 ohms and set it to stereo
Yes. This turns the cab into two separate 2 x 12's each at 150w, 8 ohms. If you wish you can play your 800 and your JVM at the same time with the cab set this way. Just use a good a/b/y switch, preferably with a ground lift to stop any hum.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are special devices like the trusty Radial Headbone VT for switching between heads wired to the same cab.
It's up to you if that's worth it.
If you don't switch permanently I would just plug into the amp you're going to use.
For $315, I just switch cables on my 2 head rig.

peterplexi

Reaction score
I wonder if that is possible..so I do not have to unplug each head everytime I switch....
So can I set it to stereo mode and plug JVM 410 and JCM 800 at the same time?
Yes, in stereo mode (providing the cab wiring hasnt been modded) the two halves of the cabinet are essentially like seperate 2x12 cabs.

uselessoldman

Reaction score
A 1960 is usually wired parallel series so the simple answer is no, but you could rewire each side independently depending on the ohms of the speakers. The speakers should be 16 ohms so wired parallel will give you 8 ohms per side 150 watts just dont run your amps flat out or they will fry your speakers and potentially damage the amps. YOu will not get a stereo effect the speakers are to close you would need two cabs and some space between them to create the stereo image then you could run one amp on each cab

Harry230

Reaction score
I run similar with 2 x 12 cab in stereo. 2 x ampeg 15 watt heads each feeding one 8ohm. If less power needed then just one head and use both speakers 4 ohm. Works well and gives backup. Just make sure you understand how to set impedance selector.

Josh Fairbairn

Reaction score
Hi, amp tech here.

IF the cab is stereo switchable, AND you use each amp to feed either side, then yes- this is safe and using the cab as designed. For all intents and purposes you’re running two isolated 2x12’s from two separate amps.

HOWEVER- if the switch is set incorrectly, or you use the wrong plugs, or you just plug two amps into one cab, regardless of one being powered off or not- you can likely expect to be bringing one or both of your heads to someone like me for a very expensive time.

Reaction score
yes! if you have a 1960a cab .that has mono/stereo modes. . put switch on stereo. then plug one amp in one jack and the other one in the other jack. then set your amps to match the ohms on the cab. simple...

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
A 1960 is usually wired parallel series so the simple answer is no, but you could rewire each side independently depending on the ohms of the speakers. The speakers should be 16 ohms so wired parallel will give you 8 ohms per side 150 watts just dont run your amps flat out or they will fry your speakers and potentially damage the amps. YOu will not get a stereo effect the speakers are to close you would need two cabs and some space between them to create the stereo image then you could run one amp on each cab
what you mean running the amp flat out?

Reaction score
most 1960a cabs have a mono/stereo jack/jacks on the back! and you just switch to stereo mode. and plug one head to each jack. unless its a real old cab. they have a mono/stereo jack set up. i dont know where you get they dont ??lol.. unless its a straight 1960 cab. they may not.. all he has to do is look..lol

MW110

Reaction score
Sure can you do that. That is called stereo set up. BUT you should modify your cab so you have two separate chambers With two speakers each. If you don’t do that, you loose sound and volume due to phase cancellations and damping.

Reaction score
no, do not do this. you will blow one or both of your amps.
ground is common, and not switched in general. if there is ANY potential difference in ground, you will have issues. generally, the larger amp will win if it were solid state, the output transformer in a tube amp will offer a little protection to the rest of the circuit as a very expensive output transformer.
the ONLY way to do this safely is to be sure both circuits are completely isolated... which includes the "ground" of the speaker outputs <its not really "ground", the output of the amp is AC, not DC> and use a switch.

its not worth ruining your gear bro. don't do it.

Latest posts