• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Can the JVM410H be modded to Satriani 410 tone?

• Thread starter SlyStrat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I just got a 2007 JVM410H and so far I like it.
I've heard clips of the JVM410HJS Satriani model and want to know if mods
will make mine more like it.
Anyone know?
I'm kicking around buying a Satriani, but won't if mods get me close.
I joined The JVM forum but haven't been activated as member.

jleashB.jpg

twothemax

Reaction score
ive done 3 simple mods to my jvm410h. total cost about 3.00 in parts and my time to solder. best amp i ever owned.
plexi mod
anticompression mod with cap
gain reduction mod.

very simple but very effective. i think some of the tech guys are waiting for the js schematics to see what can be done.

i also be seeing alot of posts about issues with the js cean channel and the fx loop?

anyways your 2007 model may need the heater fuse mod done. check the jvm forum.
lots of good stuff.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
Whats the heater fuse mod about?
Can the squeal be taken out of the OD channels?
Take out the bright cap on yours?
Care to explain how each mod changed the tone?
Thank you.

twothemax

Reaction score
Whats the heater fuse mod about?
Can the squeal be taken out of the OD channels?
Take out the bright cap on yours?
Care to explain how each mod changed the tone?
Thank you.

i believe the fuse mod involves removing the fuse holders and solder direct,
mine is a 2010 model so mine was done by marshall. i believe up to 2007 the heater fuses could cause troubles.

i left the bright cap (c83)

plexi mod sweetens the hi end. 1uf cap piggybacked to r97

the gain reduction mod affects only od1 and od2 org and red modes only. to me this mod made the hi gains more useable and more closely matched the green mode. piggybacked a 50k resistor to r129.

anti compression mod w cap. 220k resistor in series with a 2.2nf cap and then both piggybacked to r72. reduced the compression on the od1 and od2 channels. the cap allowed more even harmonics out. less muddines on the bass strings. overall sweeten it rite up.

also check your bias.
take care

spacerocker

Reaction score
Have a look at the mods in my tad strip (below)

These will get you a fair way there, and are a huge "improvement"* on stock.

However those who have compared modded JVMs with the JS model seem to think the JS still has something extra, particularly with the "Crunch" channel. The full circuit differences are not yet understood, as far as I am aware!

* Am I allowed to say that here? - oh no, I had better add IN MYOPINION in big letters!....

1337storm

Reaction score
I have a JVM410 and tried a number of mods, the only one left in the amp now is the negative feedback mod (which I think is great).
Anyhow, I now also have a JS version and when A/B-ing them, I couldn't get the original to sound anything like the JS, no matter how I tweaked it.
But the only way to be sure if it works for you is to try, and most of the mods are simple and cheap to perform, so there is really nothing to loose by trying them.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a look at the mods in my tad strip (below)

These will get you a fair way there, and are a huge "improvement"* on stock.

However those who have compared modded JVMs with the JS model seem to think the JS still has something extra, particularly with the "Crunch" channel. The full circuit differences are not yet understood, as far as I am aware!

* Am I allowed to say that here? - oh no, I had better add IN MYOPINION in big letters!....

:lol:

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a JVM410 and tried a number of mods, the only one left in the amp now is the negative feedback mod (which I think is great).
Anyhow, I now also have a JS version and when A/B-ing them, I couldn't get the original to sound anything like the JS, no matter how I tweaked it.
But the only way to be sure if it works for you is to try, and most of the mods are simple and cheap to perform, so there is really nothing to loose by trying them.

Yes, this..

I have a modded JVM, and when i played the JS i was floored..

It is really thick and mean on the medium to high gain modes, which the original JVM certainly is not.. Im sure you could get the original to sound just like the JS - Santiago (the amps designer) did :naughty:

spacerocker

Reaction score
Yes, this..

I have a modded JVM, and when i played the JS i was floored..

It is really thick and mean on the medium to high gain modes, which the original JVM certainly is not..

Look, just stop that, will you? I can't afford a JS at the moment, and I'm not even going to try one until I can! :D

Mockingbird

Reaction score
Look, just stop that, will you? I can't afford a JS at the moment, and I'm not even going to try one until I can! :D

Mate,

Do you remember me saying how friggin awesome the JS was months ago.......and all the shit I got from over-defensive stock JVM players !

It's all coming home to roost now !

We both know you are getting one soon, don't we !

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
Mate,

Do you remember me saying how friggin awesome the JS was months ago.......and all the shit I got from over-defensive stock JVM players !

It's all coming home to roost now !

We both know you are getting one soon, don't we !

There are some JVM owners here that hold their precious amp on a pedestal and won't let anyone say anything bad about it. Sad really.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I mainly use the Crunch Green, Orange, Red.
I prefer vintage type tone of a Plexi or JCM800.
Which amp gets closest to those amp tones?

A modded 410H or Satriani?

eaglewolf

Reaction score
Thread derail - question removed in respect to the OP.

David

Last edited:

SlyStrat

Reaction score
Wish you would've started your own thread. I don't want this one to get off track. I'm really trying to figure out what to do myself.

But I'll give my opinion:
I think the 410H can go fairly low in volume and still retain decent tone.
Had a YJM and sold it. I had to have the EPA at minimum 50% to sound ok. And that was pretty loud. And even at 50% the tone was kinda lacking. I prefered my 1987X with attenuator over the YJM with EPA.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Wish you would've started your own thread. I don't want this one to get off track. I'm really trying to figure out what to do myself.
yes, now you see that the douche bags in this thread (they know who they are) like start their bullshit. :D

But I'll give my opinion:
I think the 410H can go fairly low in volume and still retain decent tone.
Had a YJM and sold it. I had to have the EPA at minimum 50% to sound ok. And that was pretty loud. And even at 50% the tone was kinda lacking. I prefered my 1987X with attenuator over the YJM with EPA.

I'd say that you first to go demo a JVM410HJS. If you like it, then I'd say that you forget about mods to your stock 410H and just buy the Satriani JVM, and here's why.

The JVM410HJS is a very different amp from the stock, and as such you should judge it on it's own for some very realistic reasons.

The JVM410JS incorporates some very different tweaks to the circuit that you are not going to get out of a stock JVM or even you YJM100-namely, the AFD100 circuit that is present in the JVM410JS Crunch channel. I think that you may have trouble trying to mod the stock JVM4's crunch channel to match that Satriani JVM's Crunch channel. It's not just a matter of adding a choke, adjusting the negative feedback, lowering the gain, changing a resistor or capacitor. The tone network is different on the JVM410JS, and no better example of this is reflected in the JVM410JS Crunch channel. There are some mods that claim to get the AFD100 tone out a 410H, but after hearing some of these pathetic attempts, I (and probably some long time AFD100 owners would agree) content that it really isn't that close to the AFD100, and even farther from the JVM410JS Crunch channel. But, there's a thread in this forum of a guy who shared his AFD100 settings for a stock 410H and most people would agree that (1) the sound wasn't bad as it being a usable tone, and (2) perhaps with the right speakers, guitar, pups, and player, the tone would be perhaps described as reminiscent, but certainly not exact-all without mods.

Additionally, the 410HJS has a mid shift button which will affect how you setup OD1 and OD2. You can setup either OD1 or OD2 to get away from the scooped mids sound or return to the scooped mids at the press of a button. I don't know of a mod for a stock 410H that will allow you to create similar feature that is also footswitchable like it is on the 410HJS.

It will probably be easier using the Satriani JVM's features with the footswitch, as some of these mods require you to create switches or knobs that can't be accessed from the footswitch. So access some of these mods, you have to quickly run over to the amp mid song and flip a switch or turn a dial, as some of these mods have been setup to operate.

So, not only from a tone perspective, but as a whole system that is intelligently designed to work as one, I'd say you are better off buying a JVM410JS than trying to piece one together through various parts and with shoddy instructions (seriously, read the mods thread and there will be at least two guys who wire it up differently, but who's to say who did it "right" or even which sounds "best" according to the tone they are trying to copy! AVOID the bullshit and just go buy the Satriani JVM410JS if you like what you hear from a demo.

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, now you see that the douche bags in this thread (they know who they are) like start their bullshit. :D

I'd say that you first to go demo a JVM410HJS. If you like it, then I'd say that you forget about mods to your stock 410H and just buy the Satriani JVM, and here's why.

The JVM410HJS is a very different amp from the stock, and as such you should judge it on it's own for some very realistic reasons.

The JVM410JS incorporates some very different tweaks to the circuit that you are not going to get out of a stock JVM or even you YJM100-namely, the AFD100 circuit that is present in the JVM410JS Crunch channel. I think that you may have trouble trying to mod the stock JVM4's crunch channel to match that Satriani JVM's Crunch channel. It's not just a matter of adding a choke, adjusting the negative feedback, lowering the gain, changing a resistor or capacitor. The tone network is different on the JVM410JS, and no better example of this is reflected in the JVM410JS Crunch channel. There are some mods that claim to get the AFD100 tone out a 410H, but after hearing some of these pathetic attempts, I (and probably some long time AFD100 owners would agree) content that it really isn't that close to the AFD100, and even farther from the JVM410JS Crunch channel. But, there's a thread in this forum of a guy who shared his AFD100 settings for a stock 410H and most people would agree that (1) the sound wasn't bad as it being a usable tone, and (2) perhaps with the right speakers, guitar, pups, and player, the tone would be perhaps described as reminiscent, but certainly not exact-all without mods.

Additionally, the 410HJS has a mid shift button which will affect how you setup OD1 and OD2. You can setup either OD1 or OD2 to get away from the scooped mids sound or return to the scooped mids at the press of a button. I don't know of a mod for a stock 410H that will allow you to create similar feature that is also footswitchable like it is on the 410HJS.

It will probably be easier using the Satriani JVM's features with the footswitch, as some of these mods require you to create switches or knobs that can't be accessed from the footswitch. So access some of these mods, you have to quickly run over to the amp mid song and flip a switch or turn a dial, as some of these mods have been setup to operate.

So, not only from a tone perspective, but as a whole system that is intelligently designed to work as one, I'd say you are better off buying a JVM410JS than trying to piece one together through various parts and with shoddy instructions (seriously, read the mods thread and there will be at least two guys who wire it up differently, but who's to say who did it "right" or even which sounds "best" according to the tone they are trying to copy! AVOID the bullshit and just go buy the Satriani JVM410JS if you like what you hear from a demo.

The only douchbag here is you. IN MY OPINION :lol:

eaglewolf

Reaction score

I apologize for that - I didn't think the question warranted another thread. Question removed.

David

Last edited: