• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Celestion Creamback 75 Vs Vintage 30 (video)

Gbob61

Reaction score
Thanks for the great video. I've been trying to decide between the v30 or greenback for my dsl15h. Now I'll have to add creamback to the list.

voxman

Reaction score
I thought the 75 was clearer but darker, whereas the V30 was brighter but fizzy.

I have a V30 in my Laney Cub 12R and it works pretty well plus it really ups the volume too. My Valvestate 8080 has a G12T75 which fits the amp very well.

I've been debating for some regarding a speaker change for my DSL 401 as the stock 'Gold back' is not great. Although both the Creamback 75 and V30 were favoured on this forum, I wasn't convinced that either speaker would give me what I was looking for. And whilst the G12T75 is great in my 8080, I wasn't convinced it would deliver everything I needed in my 401. That is, a more open, articulate tone, a good chunky bottom end, but with good high end definition and clarity, with no fizz or mid-hump spike (that you get with V30's), and warm mids.

After listening to a lot of different speakers, I opted for a Celestion Classic Lead 80. The speaker was used, so already played in, and I installed it this afternoon.

First impressions with my Strat & SG are that I'm very impressed with it, and it's a HUGE improvement over the Gold back, doing everything that I wanted it to do. Interestingly, both the reverb and on-board EQ are significantly more responsive and I can dial in a much wider range of tones than I could with the Gold Back. It has a big, open sound with a great chunky bottom end but without being OTT, and the definition, clarity, and punch is excellent. Mids are warm, and the top end sparkly. Sounds great on all channels - cleans are, well, cleaner, and gain is crunchy & rich with good harmonics, just like a Marshall should be.

dreyn77

Reaction score
With the first vid, we could compare different products all day! And get no answer. :(

The comparison covers such a wide range between the eras of the speakers. The speakers aren't even close in sound types.
You'll endup with something like a 'monster truck' speaker matching amp setup.

Johans vid is a good comparison and a listener can really tell how celestion has used their skill to increase the tone of those sounds from the new design. The old speaker is brilliant at making treble tone versions of the sounds.
The new speaker has sounds which all seem warm in tones and so they're full of tones.
Two very different products but are in the same zone made for those sonic era sounds.
Excellent comparison Johan!

kinleyd

Reaction score
I think this says a lot about us as guitarists, gear geeks and tone chasers; while we go bonkers over minutia, the end result in a full band is really pretty minor, and your average listener cares even less.

Good playing goes a lot further than the difference in tone of two speakers with the average bar/concert goer.
I totally agree with you there! And more so in my own experience as a newbie. Having bought gear to my satisfaction, I've woken up to the fact that it is all going to be pretty damn worthless until I get my goddamned playing up to speed. :D

neikeel

Reaction score
, once the full band backing track started the differences seemed minor.

I think this says a lot about us as guitarists, gear geeks and tone chasers; while we go bonkers over minutia, the end result in a full band is really pretty minor, and your average listener cares even less.

Good playing goes a lot further than the difference in tone of two speakers with the average bar/concert goer.

That is utterly the truth, but then we all need to know that we sound good or we (or at least I ) don't play as well.

Nice work on the clips btw!

Philip Lyon

Reaction score
I thought the 75 was clearer but darker, whereas the V30 was brighter but fizzy.

I've been debating for some regarding a speaker change for my DSL 401 as the stock 'Gold back' is not great. Although both the Creamback 75 and V30 were favoured on this forum, I wasn't convinced that either speaker would give me what I was looking for. And whilst the G12T75 is great in my 8080, I wasn't convinced it would deliver everything I needed in my 401. That is, a more open, articulate tone, a good chunky bottom end, but with good high end definition and clarity, with no fizz or mid-hump spike (that you get with V30's), and warm mids.

Very interesting.
I recently put a G12H75 Creamback in a DSL401 and it sounded, in my opinion, much less appealing than the stock Gold back. Trebles weren't detailed enough, mids rather lacking and bass was not that much to talk about either.
The G12H75's SPL was actually less than the Goldback even though it's spec said otherwise by a couple of dBs.
A Peavey Blue Marvel from a current model Bandit actually yielded more satisfying results believe it or not - a Chinese built Eminence 75 Watt of sorts !
The reputation of any speaker (and it's perceived high $ status) is more or less irrelevant if it is tonally incompatible with the host amp and cheap doesn't necessarily mean rubbish either !
A speaker has to compliment the amp it is mated to - end of story - all other factors perceived or actual are irrelevancies.
I will give a Classic Lead 80 a whirl in my 401 if I find one going cheap on eBay - thanks for the pointer.

Last edited:

dreyn77

Reaction score
Mr Lyon, money is causing you to spend more of it.
You're trading money for learning, not parts.
Non of us need to bother about learning about what these things do. We payed marshall to do all the searching/ learning.

Philip Lyon

Reaction score
Mr Lyon, money is causing you to spend more of it.
You're trading money for learning, not parts.
Non of us need to bother about learning about what these things do. We payed marshall to do all the searching/ learning.

Exactly why I buy used parts and sell them on to either break even or profit a little. That way I learn a little and it doesn't cost me.
I believe in a little experimentation in my search for tonal nirvana - if none of us did this we'd all sound the same !

dreyn77

Reaction score
If you think they sound identical, then either Johan has done something wrong in buying his equipment, or the companies which sold the equipment to Johan has stuffed up.

Neither those 2 situations have happened.

So, its clear, more listening experience is needed for you pedecamp.
If Johan thought that the video caused the sounds to seem 'the same', he would have not put the vid into the Internet.
In a sence, you're saying the professionals have no skill in what they do.

Latest posts