Celestion g12h 55hz 1x12 with sv20h?

• Thread starter PlexiTom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PlexiTom

Reaction score
I picked up this speaker last week new
Was lucky cause they are discontinued.
I got the 55hz instead of the 75 hz .
Someone mentioned in a thread that because of the fact that the sv20h has a smaller transformer there's less botton end than the 50 w and 100w plexis ,it's recommended to get a speaker with a heavier magnet (h type)
This speaker so far sounds great.
Anyone using this speaker g12h 55hz
With the sv20h?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone using this speaker g12h 55hz

Nice speaker, I had one for a while paired with an H75 CB.
Both were 8 ohm, so I had limited amps to use them with in all my 1x12 cabs pairs - wound up turning them into cash...

With the sv20h?

Don't have an Sv20, but that should work well with that amp.

Someone mentioned in a thread that because of the fact that the sv20h has a smaller transformer there's less botton end than the 50 w and 100w plexis ,it's recommended to get a speaker with a heavier magnet (h type)

If you're looking for more bottom end, think outside the EL34 box - cathode bias will take any octal based power tubes.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
yes... I've been recommending that pair for some time...

The 55hz speaker does not have more bass, it's just the resonant frequency is shifted to a little bit lower frequency.

To me, it makes the bass a little looser, & smooth, whereas the 75 hz is tighter & has a little more thump. It's all frequency though, not that it has more bass...

The 75 hz, might even seem to have louder bass, although a higher frequency, because that frequency is more in the natural hearing range.

Other than that, they are pretty much the same voice. I've A/B'd them, so, that's my perception based on listening in the room.

BlueX

Reaction score
I've got cabs with both 55 Hz (H) and 75 Hz (M) speakers, respectively, that I use with my SV20H. I would bring both to a desert island.

55 Hz might be more Hendrix and some of Jimmy Page's tone, but it all depends on EQ. If I have to choose I would say single coil through 55 Hz and humbuckers through 75 Hz, but I often mix and match.

Probably of no help to anyone.

Last edited:

goldtop0

Reaction score
The 55hz I like a lot.
Put a Gold in my SV112 cab and that does the job too, a good setup.

Last edited: