Celestion G12M-65 Creamback Vs Celestion Vintage 30 for a DSL 40c

• Thread starter Goochster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lordquilton

Reaction score
Don't mind Dreyn, Goochster.
He's just on his usual soapbox. Depending on what day it is, the soapbox may or may not occupy a physical space in this dimension, so it's inherent value for the people of Earth fluctuates wildly. Salt helps.

Lot's of manufacturers use the Seventy 80 (or a tweaked variation) for mass produced amps.
For what they cost, they are quite good. But I do believe they are speakers made to a price point rather than outstanding audio response. "Marshall knows better"... how to make money by using decent speakers to keep the price competitive.

Last time I looked, a Seventy 80 streeted for about half the cost of a V30 or a Creamback. Are you making a mistake/ Is it worth the extra?
Only you can answer that. I put the Seventy 80 back in my DSL 40C recently just for kicks. Like I said on the DSL 40C thread, if I was stranded on a desert island and could only use the stock speaker, I would not lose any sleep over it.

That said, for me the Creamback has paid for itself many times over in the enjoyment I get from it every day.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Thanks dreyn77

If replacing the Seventy 80 with the Creamback is such a bad idea why did Sweetwater sell an upgraded version of the DSL40c with one installed?

Marshall DSL40CST with Celestion Creamback Speaker - 1x12" 40-watt 2-Channel Tube Combo | Sweetwater.com

Because he is apparently much smarter than several thousand people who have upgraded to the creamback and all the people who work at Sweetwater:scratch::hmm: I changed mine out a few years ago as soon as I got it and have never looked back, love it!!! It was before many started doing it and way before Sweetwater did.

Goochster

Reaction score
Hey thanks again all for some fantastic advice! :D

I've asked my local Celestion dealer for a lead time on the Creamback.

Last edited:

dreyn77

Reaction score
Well mister middleman money grabber sweetwater, please explain why marshall released the DSL100watt (or was it a 50 watt) combo without a creamback or a 70/80?

celestion has explained the sound of the greenback and then the sound of the creamback is based off that explaination and all I EVER DO is point out what the maker has said and done and guys seem to think it's ALL MY FAULT.
somehow I've had something to do with the speaker or the amp/pedal/pickup etc...

or, I'm on a soap box.

NO! you guys are getting robbed all the time and I'm defending you and trying to help you understand what's already been said to the world from the maker.
stop buying into strangers advertising and money grabbing off you and save the family you have.

you could just accept the orginal speaker choice and go spend $150 on somebody in your family. make them happy! :)
why give that money to some dingbat who will keep doing the same trick forever?

your amp is disposeable. all amps are! your guitar is also disposeable, all guitars are. they're made from wood. it never lasts. it's just bendy strings.
woopee! it's not a steinway piano. ;)

where you gonna trade the amp once you're done with it? the sweetwater dude like people have all banded together to offer us all NOTHING for the amps. ?

they're not our friends.

dreyn77

Reaction score
once again the celestion quote is; the greenback makes 'trebles'.

SO if the creamback dulls those trebles, what sound IS THAT????

quazi mids???
who knows??

it doesn't leave us with much of an explaination. if it doesn't make trebles from a treble speaker design, then what sound are you buying?

dreyn77

Reaction score
you're not shifting into great sound with this speaker, NO, you're shifting into DULL trebles sound.

is that good? why did the speakers originally die inproduction? maybe cause people realised the sound was just DULL, like a giant blanket was put over the speakers kinda sound.

dreyn77

Reaction score
well just play the johan segeborn clip where he demos the speakers in youtube. the sound is DULL. end of story.

they just increased the amount of wool fibers in the cone and totally deadened the sound out of the greenback speaker model and put a creamback plastic cover on the back.

it's very difficult for guys to tell when they're running 100 watt amps.

it's all celestions fault!

I run the g12 100 k's and they are the most bass speaker possible, but they make a sound that seems like there's lots of trebles in the sound, but it's not. the trebles are the bass part of the trebles sound. play a high pitch thin string note and those trebles die real quick. they're not actually trebles.

Bownse

Reaction score
You do understand how the device used to record the video and the upload/playback process on Youtube "colors" the sound. Right?

I've done a lot of audio video evaluations or lots of things, including aftermarket exhaust systems for cars and motorcycles. At best you can only provide an A/B sample and the numbers from a DB Meter. It's NEVER the same as the direct experience of face time with the product.

Musicians have chased sound reproduction since the beginning. It may get close but it's never the same as the live performance.

This is that; my face time with the G12H-75 differs from your Youtube experiences. That's where personal opinions step in though and everyone can have as many as they deem necessary.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Hey thanks again all for some fantastic advice! :D

I've asked my local Celestion dealer for a lead time on the Creamback and can't wait to get my hands on it! :D

Not sure where you live but give Avatar Speaker a call. The guy is great and is the largest dealer of Celestions in the USA and has the absolute best price hands down. matter of fact, he does not even list his prices on line the last I knew due to his low prices because he buys them in qtys of 1000's. Her is his number:

5872 Government Way
Unit 406
Dalton Gardens, ID 83815
(208) 762-5251

I bought two a few months back and his price 278.00 which included shipping, cant beat that.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
ya should of gotten a GREENBACK or 2...

lordquilton

Reaction score
A 25 watt speaker in a 40 watt amp?
Or build a second speaker cabinet to the same dimensions as the combo just so you could run 2 Greenbacks?
Creamback FFS.

Goochster

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've got the new Creamback installed and so far so good!

Now, I've got a band practise tomorrow night and I'm not really going to get any time to gently break the speaker in at low volume. I'm currently playing some low volume rock music through it for a few hours.

We're not the loudest rock band in the world anyway but could I do any damage by cranking it up so soon after being installed, without it being played through for a considerable amount of time at lower volumes?

Also my Seventy 80 used to hiss a bit on the red channels getting worse as you turned up the gain and volume, but I don't recall any on the green channels. With the Creamback I've noticed hiss on the green channels too starting at fairly low volumes. Is this normal and part of it breaking in?

Besides the hiss though it sounds awesome out of the box!

Last edited:

Goochster

Reaction score
I've just got back from band practise and this speaker sounds amazing compared to the Seventy 80. Like night and day. So glad I took the plunge.

Thanks all for your help. I'll retire this thread now. :wave:

booger007

Reaction score
I also have the 65 watt Creamback in my DSL 40. Good speaker for this amp for sure

SG~GUY

Reaction score
yeah that's right,..

......25w GREENBACK in a 40w amp

-crazy aint it!!!-

A 25 watt speaker in a 40 watt amp?
Or build a second speaker cabinet to the same dimensions as the combo just so you could run 2 Greenbacks?
Creamback FFS.

Hildo

Reaction score
Hi guys

About this creamback discussion. Some one mentioned Johan Segeborns YouTube video. Is that speaker in fact a newer g12m65 or is it the older version of that speaker.
I swapped mine in my DSL 40c. I also added a choke and a classic tone OT and that speaker is anything but dull now.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
you have heard a patriot for yourself?

or hear say?

Does it HAVE to be celestion? Why not go down the eminence root and go for a patriot speaker, i hear they are absolutely killer.

EndGame00

Reaction score
If you're looking for a 50-watt "greenback" that sounded like an aged, fully broken greenies, Celestion Lynchback...

Latest posts