• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Celestion G12T-100??

• Thread starter mattoreg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mattoreg

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about the tonal qualities of the G12T-100 as compared to the G12T-75?

Are they much different?

Thanks!
Matt

Last edited:

Rockerduck

Reaction score
Same as the 75 with more pronounced bass. The 100 watt rating is for the stiffer doping on the speaker. I use it in combo's to make up for lack of bass, plus a 50 watt combo can't blow it.

IbanezMark

Reaction score
I have G12H-100's in both of my cabs.
There is little speaker breakup, very nice cleans, and thunderous amounts of bass.

They are a very full sounding speaker, pretty articulate highs as well.

mattoreg

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks guys. I'm putting together a 4x12 (my head is a 79 100W marshall super lead). I like full punchy and clean! (I'll get my dirt from a pedal and the head) I was thinking about pair 2 of the G12T-100's with either two Vintage 30's or 2 G12H 70th anniversary. I've also got a couple G12T-75's too. So, I guess we'll see what sounds best.

Which of these speakers do you all think makes most sense (pairing) with the G12T-100?

Matt

Rockerduck

Reaction score
The vintage 30 and the Gt-100 have the same sensitivity, so that's a good match. The gt-75 sensitivity is less, so it wouldn't be as good paired with either. Some people do put the gt-75's with the vintage 30's tho'.

mattoreg

Reaction score
Thanks.

So, thinking 4x12. Would it be ok put two g12H 70th anniversary speakers in with two G12T-100's? I'm a little confused on how to power rate a cab with mis-match speakers...

2 x 100watt speaker + 2 x 30watt speakers = 260watt cab rating? Would that work? Or would I be damaging the 30 watters with too much signal?

Again, I'm playing a 100W super lead.

Thank you.

Clammy

Reaction score
Thanks.

So, thinking 4x12. Would it be ok put two g12H 70th anniversary speakers in with two G12T-100's? I'm a little confused on how to power rate a cab with mis-match speakers...

2 x 100watt speaker + 2 x 30watt speakers = 260watt cab rating? Would that work? Or would I be damaging the 30 watters with too much signal?

Again, I'm playing a 100W super lead.

Thank you.

As long as the speaker impedances are all the same, each speaker will disspate 1/4 of the power input. Technically, the total power handling capacity in that setup would be 260w, but if you were to run a 100w Super Lead full tilt into that cab, keeping in mind that it will be putting out around 175w, each speaker would dissipate around 43w, which would likely damage the 30w speakers. I think it would be better to rate the cab as 120 "safe" watts.

Cheers!
:dude::dude::dude:

mattoreg

Reaction score
As long as the speaker impedances are all the same, each speaker will disspate 1/4 of the power input. Technically, the total power handling capacity in that setup would be 260w, but if you were to run a 100w Super Lead full tilt into that cab, keeping in mind that it will be putting out around 175w, each speaker would dissipate around 43w, which would likely damage the 30w speakers. I think it would be better to rate the cab as 120 "safe" watts.

Cheers!

Thanks Clammy. HHhmmm... I sort of follow.
  • The speakers are all the same impedance. 16ohm wired in parallel to create a 4 ohm out. Check!
  • Technically it would be a 260 watt total handling capacity cab. Check!
  • Each speaker will disspate 1/4 of the power input. Check!
  • Running my 100 super lead all out is actually putting out 175 watts? Huh? And thus it would likely push the 30 watters to hard, resulting in damage. I'm losing you here...
How did you come up with 120 "safe" watts from the 260w? I'm lost.

Matt

Clammy

Reaction score
Thanks Clammy. HHhmmm... I sort of follow.
  • The speakers are all the same impedance. 16ohm wired in parallel to create a 4 ohm out. Check!
  • Technically it would be a 260 watt total handling capacity cab. Check!
  • Each speaker will disspate 1/4 of the power input. Check!
  • Running my 100 super lead all out is actually putting out 175 watts? Huh? And thus it would likely push the 30 watters to hard, resulting in damage. I'm losing you here...
How did you come up with 120 "safe" watts from the 260w? I'm lost.

Matt

Marshall 100w Super Lead/Super Bass tube amps are rated at their "clean" power output. As you know, with the Super Leads/Basses, they get into distortion fairly early, and when run flat out many have been measured at well over 175w.

For the "safe" watts: Multiply the lowest power handling speaker by 4. So, 4 x 30 = 120w. I call this a "safe" rating because as long as you don't exceed 120w into the cab no speaker will have to dissipate more than 30w, which protects the 30 watters.

Cheers!

mattoreg

Reaction score
Awesome, you rule, thanks for the explanation.

One more question, how can I know how many watts are going into the cab? Can I measure this?

Thank you,
Matt

Neptical

Reaction score
Basically the same question I'm asking relating to changing from my Marshall with G12T-75s to going to an Orange cab loaded with G12K-100S. I think the Orange cab will be filled out more, definitely more bass, while retaining the clarity and punch. That's pretty much what I want but just need reassurance before I throw the bills down.

~Nep~

Clammy

Reaction score
Awesome, you rule, thanks for the explanation.

One more question, how can I know how many watts are going into the cab? Can I measure this?

Thank you,
Matt

You could measure it, I suppose. But realistically, you wouldn't want to run a Super Lead at high volume into a single cab with 30 watters. Use a 50w head or 2 cabs, then you know for sure that you won't be hurting the speakers. Yet another option is to get higher power handling versions of the V30s. I've heard that Scumback makes high powered accurate sounding Celestion clones. Check 'em out.

Cheers!

Latest posts