Celestion speakers vs the pretenders

• Thread starter Ufoscorpion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Copperheadroads

Reaction score
Why do you think Celestion is "over hyped"? By whom? I haven't seen this at all.

Here in the MF, since most of us have cabs with them we naturally talk about them. But in my experience, MF members with other brands are quick to point out their desirability, and no one disagrees about the overall quality. And we also talk about the several models of Celestion speakers that aren't all that good.

So is this a troll post, or can you back up your claim Celestions are "over hyped"?

As for price? Well, that's up to you. If you pay $100 for a speaker you hate, it's over priced. What would you pay for a speaker you like? Isn't there any Celestion model that fits the bill for price and quality in your opinion? I love my G12H-80's and if I sold them, I'd want a lot. If you like run of the mill G12T-75's you'd tell me I'm nuts for asking that! I'm over hyped and over priced! But to me, that's the price for that sound and if you want it, that's what I'd need.

Ken

This thread is heavily Biased from the start .

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
No mention yet about Jensen. Surprising, considering a vintage company, still in business, in America, that made speakers when Celestion's founders were in diapers. If it sounds good, it is good.

slight correction-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jensen_Loudspeakers
now made in Italy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altec_Lansing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickenbacker

if Marshall was started in America they most likely would have used Jensen or Altec Lansing (used in Rickenbacker amps) since Marshall used what was cheapest & readily available in the beginning.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Why do you think Celestion is "over hyped"? By whom? I haven't seen this at all.

Here in the MF, since most of us have cabs with them we naturally talk about them. But in my experience, MF members with other brands are quick to point out their desirability, and no one disagrees about the overall quality. And we also talk about the several models of Celestion speakers that aren't all that good.

So is this a troll post, or can you back up your claim Celestions are "over hyped"?

As for price? Well, that's up to you. If you pay $100 for a speaker you hate, it's over priced. What would you pay for a speaker you like? Isn't there any Celestion model that fits the bill for price and quality in your opinion? I love my G12H-80's and if I sold them, I'd want a lot. If you like run of the mill G12T-75's you'd tell me I'm nuts for asking that! I'm over hyped and over priced! But to me, that's the price for that sound and if you want it, that's what I'd need.

Ken

"Over hyped" is purely subjective. I think it's fair to say Celestion is a giant among speaker manufacturers and they have several...many...iconic models. Celestion certainly can be added to the conversation when you talk about the iconic brands like Marshall, Vox, Fender, and Gibson. But it's also fair to say they get a lot of attention based on their legacy and it's a good thing companies like WGS (Engl, Mesa, Earnie Ball Musicman, Orange' etc) popped up over the last 20-30 years. I don't think the OP is a troll. He makes a fair point on WGS - a great speaker at half the price of the Celestiion equivalent. I personally like Celestion a tad more but the value of WGS can't be denied. Celestion definitely knows WGS is out there and for us, the consumer, that's a win.

Celestion is a recognizable standard. But a quad of new G12-65s will cost me over $650 USD while a comparable quad of new ET-65s from WGS would run $320 USD. That's not an insignificant difference. I have two of both speaker models. The tones with the same head and guitar are similiar but not identical. Which one is better is purely subjective.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
img_0611.jpg

mtm105

Reaction score
Boutique builders are producing Amps with alternative speakers. This is not because they're desperate for money. A particular speaker featured matches best with Amp. It's a dog-eat-dog world and boutique builders have to surivive, and if they thought Celestion had the best sound for their Amp, they would promote same. They're not intentionally shunning Celestion.

Celestion doesn't necessarily blend well with ALL Amps. Over the years Celestion has owned the market. Now they're being pushed aside; esp now because they're MIC. That's capitalism in it's glory.

If you play through a Marshall, you're likely going to find Celestion to be the best sound.

It's probably a gross generalization, but WGS sounds GREAT at home at low volumes; and Celestion works best at high volumes. (except for maybe Vin30 which is a BEAST at any volume.)

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Absolutely , man did land on the moon many moons ago ( no pun intended ) and technology Is a wonderful thing . But I ask you , does anyone do Sabbath and Purple better than Sabbath and Purple even with modern technology ? No , because they ain't Sabbath or Purple ! Do you get where I'm coming from ?
I saw Zakk Wylde on the Zakk Sabbath tour (2 hour set of songs from the first 5 albums) and it was so epic I can't really imagine Sabbath doing it better. His 5 minute shredding solos in every single song was a bit of a bummer though.

proxy

Reaction score
There are many good speakers out there.
But if you want Celestion sound then it would have to be Celestion speaker.

mAx___

Reaction score
There are many good speakers out there.
But if you want Celestion sound then it would have to be Celestion speaker.
I tried using the G12H Heritage for a while and even after a good breakup it would sound nothing like the originals. To my ears the Scumback H55 is a much closer rendition of the old ones.

proxy

Reaction score
I tried using the G12H Heritage for a while and even after a good breakup it would sound nothing like the originals. To my ears the Scumback H55 is a much closer rendition of the old ones.

If you are talking about 55Hz speaker I would agree with you.
I've never liked that speaker at all.
Any version of it.
I heard it is impossible to break in that speaker .....

Delete!!

Reaction score
I have used both Celestion and Eminence over the years with good results. I am a big fan of the Cannabis Rex and Private Jack, they are very good speakers in my opinion (although for very different applications). I think it’s great that musicians have a lot of quality choices out there now when it comes to speakers and other gear.

mtm105

Reaction score
(I apologize for my lack of cordial tone in previous posts. I smh sometimes in disbelief...)

To generalize, Celestion is the go-to speaker for LOUD screaming volumes.

Clones and alternatives, like WGS, carry their merit at lower volumes, and may not be optimum for LOUD. Excluding loudspeaker type speakers.

proxy

Reaction score
Whatever Celestion is doing, I hope they keep doing it. They're keeping me really f**king busy lately! LOL

I am sure "you know the best" but talking like this about company that defined the tone you are after is questionable ....

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
I am sure "you know the best" but talking like this about company that defined the tone you are after is questionable ....
I disagree. If Celestion was still making speakers like they did in the 60/70's, I wouldn't have a market to sell to. It's just that simple. I did work with their lead speaker engineer, Duncan Boniface, from 1998-2003 on getting this type of speaker line done. Celestion said there was no market for it, they weren't interested, and told Duncan to tell me they had their blessing to go develop it. Then they came out with the Heritage line in mid 2005 after I started in 2004. They just don't want to do the right cone treatments, doping, etc because it's more work. Whether I know best or not isn't the question. What I do know is once I established there was a market, they came out with a competing speaker line. That's why there are Heritage, Creambacks, etc now, by the way.