Celestion V30s!

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Hey Guys..

Good to be back here! Been working 60 hrs a week since last spring rendering me utterly useless when it came to time to playing guitar and Marshalls..but now with work beginning to slow down its time to get back into music and start jamin' out again. Blowing the dust off my Marshalls it just reinforces my outright love for these damn 900 Marshalls..they just sound so KICK ARSE..

Anyway...installed some new V30s in one of my 1960 cabs last late winter and now have finally had a chance to really break em' in and compare them to my 75 loaded 1960 cab...

I just can't get over how MUCH better they sound then the 75s! They just are SO MUCH more responsive to everything in the guitar's frequency spectrum...First of all they are noticeably louder and break up sooner allowing for the classic celestion sound at lower volumes..and your guitar's tone control knob is far more imporant. With the 75s I always kept my tone control cranked to the treble side (hard rock/metal player)..to get the necessary aggression I was looking for..but with the V30s you can really set that control to get the ultimate blend between too much attack and not enough...plus the 57' classic neck pickup in one of my Vs..sounds incredible with these speakers.

I've read about these speakers for YEARS..and never tried them because of the price..but I found a good deal on Ebay for some new ones..and thought I would take a chance...All I can say is that I should have done this years ago....Some people complain that they are too harsh...well that 'can' be true if you do not know how to sonically 'tune' your rig and your guitar..also, the more you play them the warmer they get...TRULY AMAZING SPEAKERS!!

Glad to be back man!:headbanger:

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Nice to have you back , Adrian. Im sure that eljeffe and MichaelRT will be trilled to have a fellow JCM900'er back here ;)

I have the V30s in one of my cabs by I find them a little too "high middy" for my Marshalls, except for the Jubilee. The Jubilee's emphasis on the low mids works well with the V30s.

For a 2100 JCM900, I would definitely try mixing the V30s with the G12T-75s. You might find the result even better. You'll get some of the low end grunt back, a little more definition too.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Hey Dude...

I have read about that..and I will definitely try that match out later this winter when I am bored to death. Anyway, my guess would be that like me your an older school hard headed fucker like me...*plzz. no dis intended here*..check out the cellar forum and check out my post about the new Accept release..I have a youtube link there..its TOTALLY kick ass!! You should check it out This is exactly the kinda shit I like to play on my guitar!

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I used to have the Accept "Balls to the wall" LP on vinyl. I love Udo's scream. I'll have to check 'em out. These days, I'm getting back into old Dio on guitar.

Adrian R

Reaction score
yea, accept has a new singer..but he is every bit as good as Udo..whom by the way I think is so cool that I named my 115pd German Shepherd after! Let me know what you think after you check it out..

Dave666

Reaction score
yea, accept has a new singer..but he is every bit as good as Udo..whom by the way I think is so cool that I named my 115pd German Shepherd after! Let me know what you think after you check it out..

That new Accept album is one of the best heavy metal records made since the 90's....
I put it in my cd-player almost everyday....

btomlinson

Reaction score
I have a Vox AC30 with a Avatar cab. I play a Rickenbacker through it when not playing through a DSL-401. I have a V30 along with a G12H30. The two speakers work very well together. The sound is balanced.

Sir Don

Reaction score
I did exactly the same thing about a year ago, I'm now running a quad of four v30's and using my Jubilee head in a live situation, sounds great!!

TubeStack

Reaction score
I've now got a pair of well-used (early 90's) Marshall-labelled V30s in my Z-Best 2x12 and I LOVE them. They are among the greatest speakers I've ever heard.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice to have you back , Adrian. Im sure that eljeffe and MichaelRT will be trilled to have a fellow JCM900'er back here ;)

I have the V30s in one of my cabs by I find them a little too "high middy" for my Marshalls, except for the Jubilee. The Jubilee's emphasis on the low mids works well with the V30s.

For a 2100 JCM900, I would definitely try mixing the V30s with the G12T-75s. You might find the result even better. You'll get some of the low end grunt back, a little more definition too.

I'm with you. I think they're "okay" with my DSL but, really shine with the 5150. I'm looking at some WGS greenbacks for the DSL but, open to suggestions. and hello again Adrian! I'm relatively new but, love this forum. this place is filled with cool people,tasty sarcasm and VERY insightful info. great place here...i've started wuite a nice learning process in the workbench thread.

cagamp1

Reaction score
I keep hearing about the Accept album...I'll have to check it out.

I luv the V30's. I paired my 2554/V30 with a G12H Heritage in a SourMash cab...awesome.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I keep hearing about the Accept album...I'll have to check it out.

I luv the V30's. I paired my 2554/V30 with a G12H Heritage in a SourMash cab...awesome.

Just listening to it again..AWESOME!! Especially the lyrics to No Shelter...truly great..awesome licks..great tone..good all around old school vibe yet fresh sounding..great melodic guitar parts...gang background vocals..the whole deal its all there:headbanger:

topcat 70

Reaction score
I know everybody rates the V30's but to me they sound harshe and brittle.Not saying you boys are wrong thats just how they sound to me!

TubeStack

Reaction score
I know everybody rates the V30's but to me they sound harshe and brittle.Not saying you boys are wrong thats just how they sound to me!

They do sound that way new - I've never liked any brand new V30 I've ever tried.

However, once heavily worked in (mine are almost 20 years old), they sound incredible.