Celestion V30s!

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I know everybody rates the V30's but to me they sound harshe and brittle.Not saying you boys are wrong thats just how they sound to me!

Yes, definitevely, but they can sound good in combination with another speaker and in my experience, with certain amps for which they were designed for, like the Jubilee.

jchan

Reaction score
I'm with you. I think they're "okay" with my DSL but, really shine with the 5150. I'm looking at some WGS greenbacks for the DSL but, open to suggestions. and hello again Adrian! I'm relatively new but, love this forum. this place is filled with cool people,tasty sarcasm and VERY insightful info. great place here...i've started wuite a nice learning process in the workbench thread.

I suggest looking at scumbacks. Call Jim and have a brief discussion of what you have and what sound you're looking for. I think they are awesome and I have tried lots of different speakers. The WGS speakers I had sounded "dull" to me. They didn't have any harshness, but no cut in the mix either.

V30's are great if: 1) broken in 2) in a closed back, deep cabinet and 3) used with a dark amp. Otherwise, they have a certain "krang" that can be annoying. I hear that the mojotone BV-30V is actually a good V30 clone without the "krang", upper mid harshness.

TubeStack

Reaction score
I suggest looking at scumbacks. Call Jim and have a brief discussion of what you have and what sound you're looking for. I think they are awesome and I have tried lots of different speakers. The WGS speakers I had sounded "dull" to me. They didn't have any harshness, but no cut in the mix either.

V30's are great if: 1) broken in 2) in a closed back, deep cabinet and 3) used with a dark amp. Otherwise, they have a certain "krang" that can be annoying. I hear that the mojotone BV-30V is actually a good V30 clone without the "krang", upper mid harshness.

Hey jchan, good to see you here,. :cheers:

V30's are great if: 1) broken in 2) in a closed back, deep cabinet and 3) used with a dark amp...

That's interesting, as the setup in which I'm using V30s meets all three of those points. They're heavily broken in, the Z-Best is closed back and deep (14"), and the VM 2466 is a fairly dark amp. Sounds so damn good, I was extremely happy when I first got it all going.

Adrian R

Reaction score

You know one thing that I have noticed is that the V30s are very expressive and YES..they can be quite brutal in the upper mid range..especially new, (and mine are)..but I compensate just by turning the tone knob on my guitar to the bass end of the spectrum and then they mellow quite nicely. Other speakers, like the GT75s..I typically leave my tone knob cranked to the treble side to get maximum attack.

beammeupwelshy

Reaction score
I must say that I totally agree having just got a pair myself. I built a quad box and had a pair of speakers out of my AVT combo to put in it but saved up a bit and also got a pair of V30s for the angled section (where my ears get most to the damage from).

At first I was just chuffed to be playing through a full quad, but the more I listened the more I couldn't believe the difference of the V30s. Its like they are naturally compressing the signal but at the same time everything sounds more open and dynamic.

Alot of people seem to think they have harsh mids, but I'd say that they have maybe a tendency to resonate around the mid area perhaps more than other speakers, but rather than being a bad thing i think the mids sound fricking awsome. Really love the sound.

Fully recommend if anyone's thinking about getting a pair, its definalty not just hype they do sound good.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
Nice to have you back , Adrian. Im sure that eljeffe and MichaelRT will be trilled to have a fellow JCM900'er back here ;)

I have the V30s in one of my cabs by I find them a little too "high middy" for my Marshalls, except for the Jubilee. The Jubilee's emphasis on the low mids works well with the V30s.

For a 2100 JCM900, I would definitely try mixing the V30s with the G12T-75s. You might find the result even better. You'll get some of the low end grunt back, a little more definition too.

100_0455.jpg

I've got four 4x12's, two older Marshall angles, one G12-80's, the other G12M Blackbacks, and two Carvin [top & bottom] that i loaded with V30's.

The V30's by themselves were too brite as my JMP 2203's are real mid-heavy. I had heard much about X-patterns in cabs, but was very skeptical.

Anyway, i got in a tweaking mood last month and dug out the Carvin 70 watt British series which are a cross between a T-75 & a Greenback [sorta], and loaded each cab in an X-pattern V30xCarvin......it works like a charm.

The Carvins tame down the V30's, but leave lots of bite without being muddy.

DavidL.Roth

Reaction score
I got myself brand new Marshall JCM800 2203 Reissue amp and Marshall 1960AV cabinet to play 80's hard rock music.

It would be cool to test out some cabinet loaded with G12 75s because to me the tone seems to be too bright.
I've tried to adjust it with Boss GE-7 EQ and it helps a bit when cutting the treble out, but stompbox EQ brings too much hissing/humming noise when not playing so I dumped it.

Today was tone chasing day.
I managed to get pretty decent tone out of em' when cutting the mids and treble from 2203 to 2/10. But then the volume drops drastically.

It was a disappointment to me when I realised that these speakers might not be for me. I've tried to break them in by playing as much as I can and pretty loud (volume at 4 from 2203).
I've tought of selling them and replacing with Celestion G12-65s when I got the money.

I even had to buy Ibanez TS-9 to boost my amp so I could get more crunch and hit to the muted notes and sustain to my solos.
Well, thing might be that even this amp is not the right one for me, dont know yet. Time tells.

-Dave

Adwex

Reaction score
I've been thinking about swapping in a V30 in my 4x12. I've got an unusual mix of speakers in there now...one original G12T-75, one G12H Heritage, and a pair of G12M greenbacks. I'd like to replace one of the greenbacks with a V30, then I'll have 4 different speakers in there. Whattya think?

*edit* the amp is a 2555 Jubilee.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Adwex - the jube works real well with the V30s. You might like it with all V30s.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
I would like to try out the WGS Veteran 30s. I hear nothing but good things about them, and they are way cheaper than V30s.

I just loaded one of my 1960 cabs with WGS Veteran 30's a few days ago! Still getting them broken in, but they already sound great! They have all the tone of a Vintage 30, but with that upper mid spike smoothed out. I'm thinking of swapping 2 of my greenbacks with 2 Veteran 30's next to see how that sounds too.