Ceriatone Plexi attenuator advice.

• Thread starter stonevibe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stonevibe

Reaction score
Just bought me a Ceriatone Plexi 50 for live use with my band. Planning on getting a power soak of some sort.

Any opinions on what to look out for?

I'm using a 2x12 as I don't want to lug a 4x12 around. Currently it has a pair of 12" Celestion G12s in, but I'm going to buy a set of Eminence of a guy from another forum to replace these.

Also traded and got myself a Cornell Plexi 7 for jamming at home!

So its all Plexi in my world at the moment....

Rob_Hermans

Reaction score
...Planning on getting a power soak of some sort...Any opinions on what to look out for?

Try entering the word 'attenuator' in the search box...see you next week! ;)

Seriously, I have some experience of the Tom Scholtz Power Soak (not very good, you lose highs when you use more than about -8Db) and the Palmer PGA-04, which is a lot better; it has a load box built in so you don't have to use a speaker (for recording) and good voicing controls.

I've found THIS SITE very useful when researching recently, although some of it's out of date and links are dead.

IMHO good tone unfortunately goes hand-in-hand with volume; we've become accustomed to the way our guitar sounds when we crank the amp, and even if we try to get that same tone at lower volumes, it never gets close enough because of the way we perceive sound. In other words, you can't win a fight against the laws of physics, even with technology as your weapon!

Hope that helps ;)

stonevibe

Reaction score
Thats why I own a Plexi 7.

I just wanted opinions, I know whats on the market. But finding other users of 'plexi' type amps and their insight is far more useful than reading lists of unrelated reviews.

I have heard nothing good tone wise about any and agree volume = sweet spot in large non master volume amps.

Might just have to wait and see if I can borrow someone else's or see if any one has any opinions based on trying it out tin their own rigs. :)

Heading over to your link now to do some research. Ta

Rob_Hermans

Reaction score
You're welcome, Jef.

I just looked at the links in your sig - good looking sites btw - is the Vintage Fair on the same weekend this year? I'd like to come over to the mainland at about that time, maybe I can make a trip to Exeter as well ;)

stonevibe

Reaction score
Next vintage show will be later in the year as my next child is due to be born mid-late August, so we'll need all hands on deck at my house for a few weeks around that time.

stonevibe

Reaction score
Ultimate units sound good and might be worth the money if I could find one to try out first.

I'll try to find a Weber as well.

Just need to find somewhere I can try these things out.

stonevibe

Reaction score
I just picked up a Koch Loadbox II.

heard good things about them, so will give it a whirl once it gets delivered and report back my findings.

stonevibe

Reaction score
Koch was excellent but am now using a Dr Z Airbrake as it handles many different ohm settings and I have a few amps with different ohm outputs.

Salsg

Reaction score
I have owned Hot Plates and currently own the Weber Mass. The Weber is far superior in tone. And it has a lot of options that really help. I love that it is ohm switchable unlike the Hot Plate, so the Weber can be used with just about any amp and configuration, also optional footswitch too. And it sounds much better than the hot plate.
And cheaper too.

Latest posts