Charvel Socal using Blackbelts from Motorcity pickups.

• Thread starter rockstah
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rockstah

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I have been playing my new 2009 USA Charvel socal that i installed blackbelts into ( not second degree )

I did a quick clip through a 50w Mod5 amp build for a client.

I'm still getting used to the guitar and having a Floyd again! weeeeeee! :)

SoundClick artist: rockstah plexi tweaks and mods - page with MP3 music downloads

what do you guys think?

Mark

charvelsocal625.jpg

Maklaca

Reaction score
I think you shred...and the guitar is nice too...:D

Actually, I love those. I have to get one some day.

Love your tone man! That thing sounds great!:headbanger:

S.A.T.O.

Reaction score
Bro, you've got the tone down!!! What effects, if any are you using? That's impressive my friend...

rockstah

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Bro, you've got the tone down!!! What effects, if any are you using? That's impressive my friend...

plugged straight in - marshall 4x12 cab loaded with greenbacks - sm57 on the speaker - into a 002r into protools - pushed record and added verb after the fact.
Thanks!

johnnyrog

Reaction score
Rockstah,

Nice to see the Red Charvel. Of course your tone as always, just Rocks. But a quick question for you if you'd be so kind as to share your insight on your new Charvel.

I have 2 So Cals & 2 San Dimas Charvels. I am having anxiety with them sounding so differently than most of my other guitars. Almost a Sort of Hollowness to the tone, like the body is not as direct as lets say my EVH ART Series Charvel. I love the tone of that particular guitar & Pickup.

Let me know if you find the SoCal that much different as far as body tone is concerned. I have had so many pickups in this thing already & currently have the EVH Frankenstien pickup in it, but find it way to Middy for my tastes. I think I am going to just throw a Dimarzio SD in it & call it a day like most of my other Guitars. You Playing & tone always kills me …. Rock on !!! As soon as The Bank let's me order on of your babies, My check will be in the mail. All the best !!!

rockstah

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Rockstah,

Nice to see the Red Charvel. Of course your tone as always, just Rocks. But a quick question for you if you'd be so kind as to share your insight on your new Charvel.

I have 2 So Cals & 2 San Dimas Charvels. I am having anxiety with them sounding so differently than most of my other guitars. Almost a Sort of Hollowness to the tone, like the body is not as direct as lets say my EVH ART Series Charvel. I love the tone of that particular guitar & Pickup.

Let me know if you find the SoCal that much different as far as body tone is concerned. I have had so many pickups in this thing already & currently have the EVH Frankenstien pickup in it, but find it way to Middy for my tastes. I think I am going to just throw a Dimarzio SD in it & call it a day like most of my other Guitars. You Playing & tone always kills me …. Rock on !!! As soon as The Bank let's me order on of your babies, My check will be in the mail. All the best !!!

Your assessment of these guitars is right on. Hollow midrangy... Play real hard down at the first few frets and it just sounds weird to me. Not my favorite guitar by any stretch. For this guitar I would use a scooped pickup like a paf. something like a super distortion isn't the best choice IMHO.

In my opinion as well it's all in the necks that have the hollow tone of these guitars.
Mark

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds great Mark. I was diggin' the recorded Ash Strat a bit more. Definition and shimmering highs that appeared to bloom. Same Mic placement?

David :cheers:

johnnyrog

Reaction score
Mark,

Thank you for your reply. It makes me feel good to know that I am not out of my mind. I actually at one point had my ear to the neck of the guitar & listened to exactly what you spoke of that "HOLLOWNESS". It's a strange thing because I have some American Made ones & they do not have the same idiosyncrasies. I will try one of my SD '59 pickups in the MIJ models being they tend to be more scooped & see if it works & respond back after a using it at a show.

In any event it's a good guitar to use in my show & just beat it to death. Now, If I had your chops I'd be in even better shape … ; )

Thanks again !!!
Johnny

johnnyrog@aol.com

rockstah

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Hey Johnny,
My first one was a Japanese San Dimas (couldn't stand how high the strings were from the body) and my second one is a USA Socal.
To me they both had the same unwanted tone.
i see these guitars for what they are and try not to get anything out of them other than what they offer. ;)
hope the pickup works better for you!
Mark

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Loved both clips. I liked the motorcity for its mid punch and the Larry D's for the high end. Great playing.

VintageGuy

Reaction score
loved both!great playing and tone!I always loved the so-cal. Great sound and very comfortable neck. Is it true that they are going to discontinue the so-cal and pro-mod series in favor of the desolation line?

rockstah

In Memorandum
Reaction score
loved both!great playing and tone!I always loved the so-cal. Great sound and very comfortable neck. Is it true that they are going to discontinue the so-cal and pro-mod series in favor of the desolation line?

Thanks!
I talked with someone at Charvel about future production of these guitars and he said it was because of the Tsunami that they stopped production. He did say that they would be back by then end of the year put probably made in Korea or Indonesia at that point.

Mark

VintageGuy

Reaction score
got it. In europe I can't find anywere a white so-cal (with black pickguard). They only have the desolation series :/

VintageGuy

Reaction score
they used to have it. But the last 6 months the so-cal and the pro-mod series aren't in their catalog. I remember playing a san dimas socal at sam ash in NY last year and I was blown away by the neck...oh that neck.If memory serves me, it doesn't have any finish right?

Latest posts