• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Check your electrolytics...asap.

• Thread starter Tatzmann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
If you got gear older than you, wether Studio gear, computers, Ham radio gear and so on, it would be wise to check them caps, especially the ones in the psu.

Took apart my Akai S1100 sampler yesterday to put a new display in and to give it a look over because it came to my ears that the Nichicons in there spill their guts, which can, in worst case lead to overvoltage reaching the mainboard and rendering the unit ready for sale as a "junkmachine".

Here is the 5v psu after removing the caps:

Gjzz1.jpg

Backyard corrosion:

Ghzz2.jpg

ALL of them had the acid shits:
Ghjzz3.jpg

The SAUCE:

Ghjzz4.jpg

The unit was still working without problems, no component legs were corroded away yet, but its surely better catching it on time before the sour sauce gets on everything.

I got about 20 units to go through now before shifting back to problematic amps.

Last edited:

stickyfinger

Reaction score
I had caps go bad in a tv 5 year old. Put new ones in and they instantly blew when I pluged in to the wall. Never figured out the cause but I agree check the health of them caps.

PelliX

Reaction score
I had caps go bad in a tv 5 year old. Put new ones in and they instantly blew when I pluged in to the wall. Never figured out the cause but I agree check the health of them caps.

Sure you didn't reverse the polarity? That would instantly do the trick...

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Sure you didn't reverse the polarity? That would instantly do the trick...
Hmm its been 6 months since and don't remember much about the issue. They were bulging and the 25v 470uf (i think) were commonly replaced in Tvs from my research so i just replaced them and instantly blew with out powering on, just plugged in the cord.

PelliX

Reaction score
Hmm its been 6 months since and don't remember much about the issue. They were bulging and the 25v 470uf (i think) were commonly replaced in Tvs from my research so i just replaced them and instantly blew with out powering on, just plugged in the cord.

Yup, those will likely be smoothing caps for the switched mode power supply. If you have a before and after pic you can probably work it out; the negative side of those caps is indicated with a stripe (generally including a minus symbol, but not always). Did they literally physically 'pop open'?

Last edited:

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Yup, those will likely be smoothing caps for the switched mode power supply. If you have a before and after pic you can probably work it out; the negative side of those caps is indicated with a stripe (generally including a minus symbol, but not always). Did they literally physically 'pop open'?
They sure did pop open. Heard some sizzilng, then smoke, then POP lol. I cant imagine Id get the polarity backwards.. I've built 30 amps lol. If I did I feel Stupid! I do remember just pulling the old caps by hand off the board as they were glued down. and that made it easy to solder each side and remove each side independently. They came off easy.. maybe it damaged the traces on the board. Tvs were cheap bought a new one.

I still do have the Tv. Ill pull it out in the next few days and give it a look,

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I've got three old Akai reel to reel tape recorders of the same model and all need some caps. One of them had a cap blow and it launched the entire slug (the foil and paper guts) clean out of the can that it was housed in, and was found in the bottom of the unit. Some of them are values that are a bit harder to find these days. When's the last time you saw non polarized electrolytics in an axial leaded package?

Latest posts