Choices: 2 channel gig amp

• Thread starter donwagar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

donwagar

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on which amp would be best for my requirements. There are 3 I am looking at:
DSL40CR (on sale right now)
SC20C (also on sale)
JVM215C (used at the local music store, I can buy extended warranty for it)

I'm an old guy, retired, so cost is important. Our band plays 8-10 gigs a year. Classic rock, new country, nothing in the metal zone. Everything runs through the PA. I need a good clean channel as well as Marshall crunch and overdrive. And I want it to be a combo.

Years ago I had a 4010 combo, that JCM800 sound is the tone I still look for. But it was WAY too loud, and it was a one trick pony. I sold it, bought a JTM60 2x12. I thought it was a great sounding amp, but design/overheating problems led to me getting rid of it.

For the last 5 years or so I've been using a Mesa TA-30 1x12. Great amp. But lately I've been missing that JCM800 tone and feel. I picked up a cheap Traynor YCS-50H to chase the EL34 tone again, nah, doesn't get there.

I don't need a 'bedroom' amp, for home practice I have a DSL15C, a couple of mods, ECC823 tube, Private Jack speaker, it's fine for home use. I tried it one night at band practice, it does not have the sound I'm looking for. I'm not sure how to describe it, kind of a clip at volume. But I didn't really expect to find what I wanted in a cheap amp.

DSL40CR - front of the running because it's the best price. But I've read a lot of horror stories on here about reliability. And I'm also concerned that it may have somewhat the same sound I didn't like in the DSL15.

SC20C - I suspect this would be perfect amp for the tone I'm chasing, but since it's a single channel, I doubt it would clean up enough with a volume roll off to get anywhere close to clean. I don't have time to switch inputs and adjust the amp between songs.

JVM215C - I see on the JVM forum there are mods to tame the OD channel and make it more 'JCM800'. I'm not scared of doing a few mods. IF it is correct that these mods work, this might be the best amp as a long time keeper. It certainly has a lot of good options as a gig amp.

Playing any of these amps in the sound room at the music store isn't the same as winding one up at a gig, so I'd appreciate any input, your experiences with gigging with these amps.

Thanks.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on which amp would be best for my requirements. There are 3 I am looking at:
DSL40CR (on sale right now)
SC20C (also on sale)
JVM215C (used at the local music store, I can buy extended warranty for it)

I'm an old guy, retired, so cost is important. Our band plays 8-10 gigs a year. Classic rock, new country, nothing in the metal zone. Everything runs through the PA. I need a good clean channel as well as Marshall crunch and overdrive. And I want it to be a combo.

Years ago I had a 4010 combo, that JCM800 sound is the tone I still look for. But it was WAY too loud, and it was a one trick pony. I sold it, bought a JTM60 2x12. I thought it was a great sounding amp, but design/overheating problems led to me getting rid of it.

For the last 5 years or so I've been using a Mesa TA-30 1x12. Great amp. But lately I've been missing that JCM800 tone and feel. I picked up a cheap Traynor YCS-50H to chase the EL34 tone again, nah, doesn't get there.

I don't need a 'bedroom' amp, for home practice I have a DSL15C, a couple of mods, ECC823 tube, Private Jack speaker, it's fine for home use. I tried it one night at band practice, it does not have the sound I'm looking for. I'm not sure how to describe it, kind of a clip at volume. But I didn't really expect to find what I wanted in a cheap amp.

DSL40CR - front of the running because it's the best price. But I've read a lot of horror stories on here about reliability. And I'm also concerned that it may have somewhat the same sound I didn't like in the DSL15.

SC20C - I suspect this would be perfect amp for the tone I'm chasing, but since it's a single channel, I doubt it would clean up enough with a volume roll off to get anywhere close to clean. I don't have time to switch inputs and adjust the amp between songs.

JVM215C - I see on the JVM forum there are mods to tame the OD channel and make it more 'JCM800'. I'm not scared of doing a few mods. IF it is correct that these mods work, this might be the best amp as a long time keeper. It certainly has a lot of good options as a gig amp.

Playing any of these amps in the sound room at the music store isn't the same as winding one up at a gig, so I'd appreciate any input, your experiences with gigging with these amps.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Marshall Forum Donwagar :cheers:.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play a JVM 205 combo and I'm in a classic rock cover band. It is an excellent amp. Also, you can get a nice crunch tone out of the clean channel in the red mode, so I had no need to tame the OD channel. Also, it is nice having the high gain OD channel for certain songs and solos.

spacerocker

Reaction score
Why don't you try a JVM410?

JVM Crunch orange is definitely in 800 territory, and it has an excellent clean channel. You can also use one of the OD chanels as a dedicated lead channel (as I do..) and get superb singing, sustaining leads with a real volume boost!

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Not sure if you will like the speaker that comes as stock in the JVM215C. Have you tried it?
They come fitted with the elusive G12B-150 that is only available fitted in the JVM215C or the 1912 cab.

The spec sheet reads thusly:

Nominal Diameter - 12”
Power Rating - 150W
Nominal Impedance - 8ohm
Sensitivity - 98 dB/W
Chassis Type - Pressed steel
Voice Coil Diameter - 2”
Voice Coil Material - Round copper
Magnet Type - Ceramic
Magnet Weight - 50oz
Frequency Range - 60-4000Hz
Resonance Frequency - 77Hz
DC Resistance - 7ohm
Unit Weight - 4.8kg (about 11lb)

It is a weighty speaker and the frequency range is considerably lower than something like a G12T-75 (80-5000Hz).
I tried a JVM215C recently with a view to buy but was put off by the tone of the G12B. Sounds like halfway to being a bass speaker.
Also, the G12B is 8 Ohms, which may limit the extension cab options, depending what you've got already.
I have a G12B in a box that came out of my 1912 - still not found a use for it (might end up in a 212 cab with something like a V30 someday).

I am still interested in a JVM215C myself someday, but a speaker change would be my first consideration (or get the 205C).
The JVM215C will probably be the most robust of the 3 choices too.

The DSL40CR is a fine amp.
There are some people who have had bad experiences, but they are the ones who post disproportionately more than satisfied owners. You may read a 40CR faults thread and see that it is being kept fuelled by only 1 or 2 people. Those of us with good working DSLs tend to keep quiet, thankful that we dodged a bullet. Nothing is more annoying to someone with a faulty amp than people chiming in that theirs are perfect!
Mine has no issues, and I would only get a JVM if I could afford to keep the DSL.

Never tried an SC20C, so no comment.

donwagar

Reaction score
Not sure if you will like the speaker that comes as stock in the JVM215C. Have you tried it?
They come fitted with the elusive G12B-150 that is only available fitted in the JVM215C or the 1912 cab.

The JVM215C will probably be the most robust of the 3 choices too.

The DSL40CR is a fine amp.
There are some people who have had bad experiences, but they are the ones who post disproportionately more than satisfied owners. You may read a 40CR faults thread and see that it is being kept fuelled by only 1 or 2 people. Those of us with good working DSLs tend to keep quiet, thankful that we dodged a bullet. Nothing is more annoying to someone with a faulty amp than people chiming in that theirs are perfect!
Mine has no issues, and I would only get a JVM if I could afford to keep the DSL.

Never tried an SC20C, so no comment.

I don't mind doing a speaker swap. I have a couple of EV's I can try, a couple of Marshall Heritage (JTM cabinet), the Private Jack I have in the DSL15, or I'm willing to buy something else that might sound better. Same with tubes, I have 5 or 6 different pairs of EL34s sitting around I can try.

Re: the DSL40, that's one of the problems with forums, you tend to see complaints, the guys that are fine don't post.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Sell something. But in any event go and try it. Keep in mind though that the combo carries 1 x 10" speaker. Is that gonna satisfy your gig requirements.?
BP
p.s. I just saw you do have have a cabinet and speakers kicking around.
Then check out the SV20H.

donwagar

Reaction score
I am pretty well set on a combo, even though I have cabs.

I should try the SV20, but I suspect it won't have the clean I am looking for. I really should have a 2 channel amp.

I've never been a fan of 10" speakers, but it could surprise me.

donwagar

Reaction score
I play a JVM 205 combo and I'm in a classic rock cover band. It is an excellent amp. Also, you can get a nice crunch tone out of the clean channel in the red mode, so I had no need to tame the OD channel. Also, it is nice having the high gain OD channel for certain songs and solos.

That's a good option I never thought of. I've never owned an amp with foot switchable modes.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good option I never thought of. I've never owned an amp with foot switchable modes.

The JVM works with both a 4 button footswitch and a 6 button switch, and they both can be programmed. I use a 6 button footswitch programmed to cover pretty much any song -- clean, edge of breakup (clean in orange mode), crunch (clean in red mode), medium gain (OD channel in orange mode) and high, saturated gain (OD channel in red mode), with the last button set to Master Volume 2 for solos.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one comes with a 4 button switch. Really interesting that it can do so much. Thanks.

The JVM 2 series comes with a 4 button switch, and the 4 channel amps come with 6 button switch. But, you can use the 6 button switch with the JVM 2.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Although the SC20 with a pedal would hit the 800 tone and allow you to run hotter or colder, an EQ in loop for solos, I still think the JVM is the ticket too. You can switch modes as well as channels and always have that second MV to kick it in any mode of any channel.