Choices: 2 channel gig amp

• Thread starter donwagar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
I know you said you want a combo but both the DSL and JVM come in at over 55 lbs - something to keep in mind.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Edited to add: I removed the comment that clean to crunch is not foot-switchable with the DSL. I have the DSL40C and it's not with this amp, however, I realized you said 40CR in your post and I believe that is with the upgraded foot switch. With that I would put a little more consideration to the DSL - hard to beat the price and performance.

I've had my DSL 40C for just over 2 years and aside from changing the tubes have had no issues. Takes pedals great too!

Last edited:

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I'm going to say DSL just because no- one else did. I have one, it's great, no worries on reliability, no mods needed. I went to try a JVM to see if I wanted to change up - it was great but I didnt trade. On paper it is a better amp but what it did I didn't need. Haven't tried the 20 yet. Demos sound great but you'll be back where you were with your old JCM. I know because I had one too and sold it for exactly the same reasons.
Only thing with the 40cr you will need the 6 button switch to use it properly on stage which puts the price up a bit more.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Both the JVM and (to a lesser extent) the DSL40CR can do MIDI foot switching too. So if you have a multi-effects with in-built MIDI you can control them both with it.
For the price of a new DSL 6-button F/s you could probably get a 2nd hand BOSS GT of some sort.
Both can operate by MIDI and 6/4 button F/s at the same time (DSL and the supplied 2-way block MIDI operation).

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Might want to consider an Orange Rockerverb MKII 50 W. Their clean channel is amazing and the crunch channel is awesome also. Wish I would not have sold mine!

donwagar

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input.

I went to the music store today really wanting to buy the JVM. But, after testing it for a few minutes, it started cutting out on the OD channel. The salesman said they would have it repaired, but I thought, if I found this in a few minutes, what else could show up?

So I asked him to get a new DSL40CR out of the back (they only had a DSL40C on the floor). I really liked it. I think it will do everything I want. Bonus it was in vintage trim, which I really like. So I bought it, ordered a 6 way switch (they didn't have them in stock), and a cover.

Thanks!

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

I went to the music store today really wanting to buy the JVM. But, after testing it for a few minutes, it started cutting out on the OD channel. The salesman said they would have it repaired, but I thought, if I found this in a few minutes, what else could show up?

So I asked him to get a new DSL40CR out of the back (they only had a DSL40C on the floor). I really liked it. I think it will do everything I want. Bonus it was in vintage trim, which I really like. So I bought it, ordered a 6 way switch (they didn't have them in stock), and a cover.

Thanks!

Congratulations. You made the wise decision in not buying a problematic JVM.

MarshallDog

Reaction score

Thanks!

Congrats on the new amp. I would have stayed away from that JVM also. I think you’ll like the CR better than the C version. Enjoy!