Class 5 Head and cab? When?

• Thread starter shades of blue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shades of blue

Reaction score
Please excuse me if this isn't the right section for this thread but....

I've heard a lot about the Class 5 Head and cab. Does anyone know when they will be released? I'd be interested in the head, but was curious how much they will be.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
There was a quick little burst of info that came out around NAMM and then there has been nothing but rumor and speculation. What was released by Steve D. at the time was we would be seeing a head with a 16 AND 8 ohm tap, matching 2x12 cab, and 1x12 combo that would have the headphone trick already moded in so that if you select headphone out and don't plug in any speakers that you will get the attenuated tone out of the combo speaker.

My guess is that when the info started to come out, Marshall corporate then wanted it shushed because the product was not announced at NAMM.

shades of blue

Reaction score
There was a quick little burst of info that came out around NAMM and then there has been nothing but rumor and speculation. What was released by Steve D. at the time was we would be seeing a head with a 16 AND 8 ohm tap, matching 2x12 cab, and 1x12 combo that would have the headphone trick already moded in so that if you select headphone out and don't plug in any speakers that you will get the attenuated tone out of the combo speaker.

My guess is that when the info started to come out, Marshall corporate then wanted it shushed because the product was not announced at NAMM.

Thanks!

Michael1987xl

Reaction score
Does anyone know when they will be released?

As per Steve D. on the Vintage Modern Forum, on this very subject:

When we launch them.

A number of guys have tried to get him to commit, but the best they've gotten as a follow-up to that last one was:

It's all I'm allowed to say on this forum and he should know that. :D

I'm guessing, as in WILD Ass Guessing, Marshall wants to wait until the dust settles just a bit from the AFD100 and YJM releases, if for no other reasons than to not steal anybody's thunder, see that each release gets the attention/buzz going that they want and just spread things about a bit. Plus, who knows what they're actually capable of grinding out at the factory? You have to consider all that with 3 new back-to-back releases, especially with something like the new Class 5's which are likely to be fairly high production volume pieces. People may be willing to wait and have done so for big ticket items like the AFD/YJM's, and the profit margin justifies it for Marshall. The C5, however, needs to be ready to go in volume for the profit to justify it, particularly at its price point.

Marshall only releases so many "new" amps each year, so I can understand staggering these things to keep the company name in the press. I'm sure they'd rather have each of the major the rags do 3 separate reviews/articles in 3 separate issues. That's high-profilin' it for the music industry and its promo they don't have to shell out ad money for either.

Now, of course, having said all that:
WHERE'S THE F'ING CLASS 5 HEADS!?!? LET'S GO ALREADY!!!! CRIMMINY!!!

Skotosynthesis

Reaction score
I hope they put up the option of buying the head without the cab. And I hope it's ≤ $300.
I have an Epiphone Valve Jr. (also a class A 5 watter,) and while the speaker it came with sounds great (1 12" Eminence "Lady Luck" speaker,) it sounds even better and A LOT louder hooked up to my 4x12 w/ V30's.
When I say "louder," I literally mean the difference between cutting drums and not cutting drums.
...oh, and I hope they make one available w/ either an effects loop or a slave out.

shades of blue

Reaction score
I hope they put up the option of buying the head without the cab. And I hope it's ≤ $300.
I have an Epiphone Valve Jr. (also a class A 5 watter,) and while the speaker it came with sounds great (1 12" Eminence "Lady Luck" speaker,) it sounds even better and A LOT louder hooked up to my 4x12 w/ V30's.
When I say "louder," I literally mean the difference between cutting drums and not cutting drums.
...oh, and I hope they make one available w/ either an effects loop or a slave out.

Oh same here, I would buy the head first since I have a 2x12 cab. I mean, usually heads are a $100 or so cheaper than combos...just makes sense.

Papus

Reaction score
If you really want one, a good tech can build a point to point Class 5 head for similar $$$ to the real deal

Skotosynthesis

Reaction score
According to this website, the Class 5 head and cabs will be available in the next few weeks in the UK...

...and I hope Nik @ Ceriatone gets all over that circuit and copies it PtP the minute they put it out!!!
...I'm gonna get kicked out of this forum lol

Michael1987xl

Reaction score

rich24a

Reaction score
I think you might want to take another look at that. Andertons posted that on:

10/03/2011

I'd have to say it's been "a few weeks" since then a few times over. There's no doubt that this thing is coming, I just don't know that we're in a safe "hold your breath" zone yet.

In the UK we use a different day/month/year order on our dates. For example, our dates go:

dd/mm/yyyy

Instead of in the USA and probably other countries, where it is:

mm/dd/yyyy

So therefore, this was posted 2 days ago, on the 10th of March 2011.

germ_x

Reaction score
They (Andertons) have the head listed here: Marshall Class 5 Head | Andertons

Notice that the price is 330 GBP (British Pounds)... which equals $529.01 USD. I think I'll just keep using my 1st generation Class5 for now, until the MKII's hit the used market.

SaintFredrocks

Reaction score
They (Andertons) have the head listed here: Marshall Class 5 Head | Andertons

Notice that the price is 330 GBP (British Pounds)... which equals $529.01 USD. I think I'll just keep using my 1st generation Class5 for now, until the MKII's hit the used market.

Did you see that the Class5 combo was listed at 359 GBP which is around $576 US? Odd that they cost $177 less here in the US, but I won't complain.:naughty:

fstrat59slp

Reaction score
Well idk if this is any help because you guys might have already found this, but the class 5 head and cab is available at zzounds. Head is 349.95 and cab is 249.95. The head is also available at sweetwater.com as well for 249