Cleanest/loud 1x12 combo

• Thread starter Dadodetres
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dadodetres

Reaction score
Hello!
I was wondering which is the 1x12 Marshall Combo that it is currently being made that has the cleanest sound and high volume.
It may have more than 1 channel and can have drive as an option, but the priority would be clean at high pressure levels.
Thanks!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I was wondering which is the 1x12 Marshall Combo that it is currently being made that has the cleanest sound and high volume.
It may have more than 1 channel and can have drive as an option, but the priority would be clean at high pressure levels.
Thanks!
Loudest clean 1x12 combo currently being made?
Probably DSL40CR or Origin50C.

If you include some older models, there are a few 100w ear drum bursting 1x12 combos.
6101 comes to mind if you want loud and clean.

Dadodetres

Reaction score
Loudest clean 1x12 combo currently being made?
Probably DSL40CR or Origin50C.

I own an Origin50 for a couple months now, and though It is not bad, I was hoping to get even cleaner sounds at high volumen. The Volume that the Origin50 reaches is what Im looking for, im not looking for more level, though it would hurt.
Is the DSL40 cleaner in its max? or being 40 watts vs 50 means that it will break at lower levels?

Dadodetres

Reaction score
Current production would be the DSL40CR on the green clean channel. Just set the Master at around 3/4 then bring the channel volume and gain up until you like what you hear.
Alternatively a JVM215c 50w using the clean channel and MV turned up.

How does the DSL40 compares to JVM215? level-wise? cleanest at higher level?
Also, I know this is not the original question, but how about the other extreme of the amp/higher gain? I tried a JVM 2x15 and reached a lot of distortion, probably more than what I would use, but I actually liked that feature for Studio use to record heavy overdubs. Does the DSL40 reaches by itself really high gain? As the JVM? as a JCM900 ?

nevermind

Reaction score
Hello!
Thanks!

What pickups are you running in this exercise?

Dadodetres

Reaction score
What pickups are you running in this exercise?

My main guitar is a Fender Strat with a Lindy Franlin Steel Pole ( "mini P90" ) in the neck, a standard single coil in the middle, and Seymour Duncan Little`59 ( "mini hummbucker") on the Bridge. The one I use the most is the Neck mini P90.
I want the not only for my pwersonal use, but also I run a semi-professional recording studio, recording an albumn every 2 weeks from local indie bands, so I use my amps also for lots of genres of music from diverse guitarists/styles.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
How does the DSL40 compares to JVM215? level-wise? cleanest at higher level?
Also, I know this is not the original question, but how about the other extreme of the amp/higher gain? I tried a JVM 2x15 and reached a lot of distortion, probably more than what I would use, but I actually liked that feature for Studio use to record heavy overdubs. Does the DSL40 reaches by itself really high gain? As the JVM? as a JCM900 ?
The JVM is probably a little louder (50w as opposed to the 40w DSL), but the DSL is plenty loud. I only have a 100w JVM head to compare my 40w DSL to and the DSL keeps up with that pretty well. Both amp's cleans are pretty impressive too. You have to understand that there are more ways to get loud cleans. Most recorded Marshall clean tones from the past were done with a 100w head cranked to breaking point, but with the guitar volume turned right down. Hendrix did this for 'Little Wing'. It actually plays better like this too the cleans have a smoother, less harsh quality to them.
As for the over driven tones of the DSL and JVM, both have plenty on tap on the overdrive channel. The DSL 'crunch' channel is particularly nice and is really good for a lead tone with a good OD pedal in front set to max output and minimum gain.
I'm sure you'll be happy with either amp. the main difference is price. The DSL is made at Marshall's Vietnam facility, the U.K. made JVM is about twice the price of the DSL.
If you are able to buy from the U.K. and want a bargain, Guitarguitar in the U.K. have the 2 x 12 DSL402 (same amp as the 40CR, but 2 x 12) for only £449.00, brand new. There is a wait until mid September for stock though. I have two of these amps and can thoroughly recommend them. I even like the budget speakers in them, when I was sure I wouldn't.
:thumbs:

vivanchenko

Reaction score
To me the DSL cleans sound sterile and stiff. The Origin's voicing and dynamic range are much nicer.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Hello!
Thanks!
Another vote for the DSL40CR. The Origin 50C stays fairly clean at relatively high volumes, but for rehearsal and gigging volumes, the DSL40CR is your best bet. Don't know enough about the other amps to comment on them, but it seems that most of the other current combos come with 10" speakers and the 12" combos are very expensive and meant to give crunch rather than clean.

nortiks

Reaction score
Hello!
Thanks!
OK, I know this is utter blasphemy to post this here, but given your stated priority have you considered this?

nortiks

Reaction score
Nice.....but $3.5k? :noplease:
LOL, I hear you. Personally I bought the Ceriatone head version and its utterly fantastic in both sound and build quality. If OP is fine with a head and a 1x12, its going to be really loud at clean volumes. But I figured since he said combo I would show the combo...

[edit] Its also worth mentioning that a HIWATT (or Ceriatone clone) head cab is quite a bit smaller than a Marshall head cab.